STREET CLUB Summer 2018 Assignment 1: Cafe

Updated 5 days ago in Critique
105 on July 2, 2018

Welcome to STREET CLUB Summer 2018! To kickstart the summer Street Club, let’s start with the first Street Hunt assignment “Cafe”.

Each Monday, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best new photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to answer the reflection questions or add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes?

Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday, Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy, Eric (Annette, and Jennifer– currently here together at HAPTICLABS Saigon office!)

P.S. Use STREET HUNT as our school “textbook” to complete assignments, share photos and reflections, and receive feedback. It is not mandatory to purchase Street Hunt, but it would be useful and valuable to have a printed or mobile edition copy to follow along and write down notes.

1) If you can afford to purchase Street Hunt, pick one up in our HAPTIC SHOP (Print Edition / Mobile Edition) or on Amazon.com. By purchasing Street Hunt, the proceeds also will go towards offsetting the price of Street Hunt for students who do not have the resources to purchase it themselves.

2) If you are a student and cannot afford to purchase Street Hunt, follow these instructions to receive a free copy of STREET HUNT MOBILE EDITION. (Limited to the first 50 students).

3) Sign up and post to the free ERIC KIM FORUM 1 photograph and 3 constructive, honest, helpful critiques of other’s photographs.

4) Send me an e-mail at hapticindustries@gmail.com linking to those posts.

Complete this by July 15, 2018 and I will e-mail you a copy of Street Hunt Mobile Edition.

The summer school will begin July 2, 2018 and winners will be announced July 31, 2018.

Check out Frederik Trovatten’s review of Street Hunt in Mexico City.

Assignment 1: CAFE

• CAFE WALK: Choose a new coffee shop (either during your travels or in your own neighborhood). Find walking directions there (you can walk up to an hour). Take photos on the way to the coffee shop, and walk 25% slower than you normally do. Also whenever possible, try to take a new route if the neighborhood is familiar. The reason I like this assignment: you get your coffee fix, and you also enjoy the photos along the way.
  • INTERACT WITH STRANGERS INSIDE THE CAFE: When you make it to the coffee shop, talk to the strangers you meet. Talk to the barista, and ask them how their day is going. Ask them for their personal recommendations for the coffee of the day. Or chat to other strangers inside the coffee shop. Ask them what book they are reading, or what they are up to. I generally find folks quite friendly inside coffee shops, and if you engage them in conversation, you can even ask to make a portrait of them.

Purpose: We hope that this assignment can encourage you to try out a new cafe or appreciate the little details in your local cafe you often visit. Coffee shops are great places to observe people, interact with strangers, and to get a nice shot of inspiration (pun intended). (We also love cafes and walking!)

Reflection Questions:

1. How did it feel approaching strangers in a cafe?
  2. Were they more relaxed than people on the streets?
  3. How was it like photographing indoors versus outdoors?

Video Review for Week 1

• Liked by
  • edmundoa
  • MarkVolz
  • Lukas
  • Howwls
  • Alexgian00
7 on July 5, 2018

Visited a café in Petone, Wellington, New Zealand recently. It has a really eclectic offering of food, and atmosphere with a lot of old fairground mementos, a favourite among local families.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my images.

Alan

on July 6, 2018

Lovely Alan. Love the first photo of the kid on the horse, perhaps a metaphor of childhood and adventure. And like the mysterious candy smile in the last photo!

on July 6, 2018

Hi Alan! 

The first is my favourite. I love the expression. The boy is struggling to get his foot in the stirrup. The poor guy is on the cusp of outgrowing the horse altogether. His brow shows his frustration. I very clearly remember being young enough to ride a mechanical horse like that, but being too big for it. I really think you have captured a sense what it feels like sometimes to get older. Am I reading too much into this? Regardless, it hit home for me. 

on July 6, 2018

Hi Alan.  I agree with Eric and Geoff – the kid on the horse is my favorite from your photo submissions.  I like the lighting, the expression on the kid’s face, and the leading lines created by the hanging lights. 

on July 6, 2018

Hi Alan, I love the first photo for quirkiness of the rides inside the cafe, it has the feeling of another time , when the world was more innocent. The lollipop image makes me smile, great color, it too almost feels like a different era. Well done!

on July 7, 2018

Hi Alan,

I live about 10 minutes from this cafe and it’s certainly one of my favorites! Good choice with the black and white in the first image as it ensures the busy background doesn’t intrude too much.

on July 8, 2018

I adore the third ‘slice of life’ photo. The way the candy pops against the woman’s bright right lips and the blur giving us a sense that this moment is fleeting. You’ve inspired me to get a bit more creative with my compositions. Thank you.

on July 9, 2018

The first photo is awesome. The child’s look of uncertainty and the horse’s grin are really cool together. This picture really captures a great moment and there are a thousand things the child could be thinking at that moment. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 6, 2018

I really like the idea behind Street Club!

As suggested on the assignment, I walked to the café and took some pictures on the way. The biggest challenge was the high contrast between sun and shade, which made me keep an eye on the camera settings.

The café was really quiet when I got to there, but I could still make a couple of pictures. This is the one I like the most.

Looking forward to your feedback, thank you!

Edmundo

on July 6, 2018

Hello Edmundo! The third is my favourite. I like the tone and all the different types and plans of glass. The first photo is very vibrant. Everyone is moving. And some of the characters in the shot are interesting in themselves: the couple holding hands, the girls with coffee. But it  it would be cool to see someone stationary in the centre of all that movement. That would provide a clearer idea of the subject and could be quite dramatic. 

on July 7, 2018

Hello Edmundo!

I liked the three of your images,but the one that caught my eye is the second one.The elegant lady cyclist in red makes strong point of interest and you’ve managed to capture her in good posture and motion.In your image I see a nice summer story and I start wondering if she had given that bouquet or she was to a market,is she in a rush or just enjoying her outing.The dominant color red works great.The tones are soft and a bit nostalgic,which I like.There’s one thing though ,which I would’ve done differently.In a perfect scene,the guy in blue walking in the scene from the right should’ve slowed down just a bit and stayed away from the frame.He is distracting to me and I don’t see anything added to the story by him.A little crop after the fact may help to improve the triangle composition.And I tried playing that by cropping out the guy and one of the red mannequins. Here is my suggestion.Hope you didn’t mind. 

on July 7, 2018

Hello Edmundo,

I like the picture of the lady on the bicycle looking quite focused yet not in a hurry and the guy running in a hurry. I think the cropped version from Streetfun is OK too, but I like the original one better. There is some tension between the two people, which gets lost by cropping it.

on July 9, 2018

Hi Edmundo. Maybe some more shots would get you better composition to work on. I hate pictures like that- have some potential, but no way to make them work. So you get the pull to take more pictures, and than the new ones will give you more satisfaction.

on July 9, 2018

My favorite of the three is the second one exactly how you shot it. A very in the moment composition. I enjoyed the ‘busyness’ of the shot. The woman looks to be intently moving toward her future and the man has broken into a run. A good statement on the craziness of our lives. What is so important that it requires such madness and future focus?. I also like to symmetry of blues (line from his shirt to her bike) and reds (triangle from her top to the gloves on the mannequin on the upper left to the clothes on the mannequins on the upper right). 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 6, 2018

The walk to this coffee shop is about 30 minutes from my house, along an urban waterway. There were few people about, and the coffee shop was empty and dark. So, I wouldn’t call these street photography, but they are the results of the excursion. A Canada Goose in the waterway, just as it starts raining. And a dog waiting for her owner (me!) taken from inside the coffee shop. 

on July 7, 2018

Hi Geoff,

I really like your first image. I would also have placed the goose in the center of the image, as you did, and I think it makes a nice composition. The light contrast in the water ripples also make the picture interesting in my opinion.

You have a beautiful dog, btw 🙂

on July 9, 2018

I like the effect of the rippling water in the first photograph acting as a frame for the swan.   

on July 9, 2018

Hi Geoff! 

I also love the first photograph, nice contrast and texture, the bird silhouette is really nice shape as well. Seeing this photo makes me want to be at a cafe watching the water. I like the second photo but feel the framing is a bit off to me, I love frame within a frame photos, I kinda wish I could see the whole window? But as is I like how seeing this photo makes me feel like I’m there with you. 

Amy

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on July 6, 2018

I made this photo in one of the local coffee shops near my home.  I was attracted by the subjects tattoo, position of his hand on his face, the woman in the background holding her head, and the light that was entering the coffee shop from a nearby window.

on July 6, 2018

Hi Eric, I like your photo. I like the light, and the way the woman is almost mirroring the gesture of your main subject. Good depth without being too busy, well done!

on July 7, 2018

Hello Eric!

Nice image!I like the graphic elements in your photo.The tattooed arm close to the computer screen brings good contrast,text and illustration separated. Isn’t it funny,these days we have so much to “read” on human’s bodies?! Your choice of black and white simplifies that message.I would prefer a little more negative space in the foreground and let that arm be  composed as a main interest.Good depth of the scene,wished the people in the back were better defined.Good work overall.

Hope you found my comments helpful.

on July 7, 2018

Hello Eric,

I like the image because it’s a typical coffee shop scene. The table and the laptop screen are nice leading lines into the picture with some interesting background stuff going on!

on July 7, 2018

Hello Eric! 

I really like this one, because of the way they hold their heads, the computers and the clock in front of his head. I thik it says a lot about today.

on July 7, 2018

Hi Eric,

I like the way the main character fills the frame and the black and white rendering helps with that too. And it’s great the way the woman with head in hand echos the guy’s pose as well.

on July 8, 2018

Well composed. The framing is excellent, the subject eye-catching, and the background does not detract from the image. The right mood is set with the use of black and white. Magnificent

on July 9, 2018

This is a fantastic photo.  It perfectly captures what it is like to be working on something in a cafe or public place. Black and white was a great choice for this since it really creates a cool contrast with the subject, his tattoos, and the environment. 

on July 11, 2018

Great Shot, Eric…very spontaneous…congrats….

5 days ago

Thank you for your comments, opinions, and suggestions.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 6, 2018

My responses to the reflection questions:

1. How did it feel approaching strangers in a cafe?  I am very comfortable approaching strangers in a cafe or anywhere on the streets.  I find that people are generally pleasant and willing to have me make a photo of them.
  2. Were they more relaxed than people on the streets?  People in a cafe might be more relaxed, especially when they’re reading a book or non work-related material.  People in a cafe might be less relaxed if they’re in “work mode.”  I would guess that people in a cafe are more relaxed than people on the streets.
  3. How was it like photographing indoors versus outdoors?  Photographing indoors is nice because there are so many interesting lighting situations, people who are generally not moving, and the possibility of framing with clean backgrounds.
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 6, 2018

I realize this assignment was to make a photo inside, however , all of my local coffee shops were empty and I canvased 4 of them over a few days 🙁 

on July 7, 2018

Hello Vicki!

I like the second of your images,captured probably through a window.Nice framing using the wall and showing us a slice of cafe’s life.A little more texture on that wall and vibrancy in the colors may help to improve the image.Nice work!

on July 7, 2018

thanks, appreciate it!

on July 7, 2018

I should add, these two photos were at the same cafe,  the 1st, just a few steps north of the 2nd 🙂

on July 7, 2018

Hi Vicki,

Hope the guy in the first one hadn’t just come from the cafe :-). I agree with street fun, the framing works well and you’ve done well to get a clear image inside the cafe without any reflections interfering

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 6, 2018

Hi, 

The first photo I made in Prague outside the Starbucks at Wenceslas Square

the 2nd photo I took in the Golan Heights Israel, every time I visit there we seat and enjoy the amazing landscape with black coffee that we make on a camping stove 

on July 7, 2018

Hello Matan!

I like the first of your images.Personally I like that kind of reflective shots ,where the  reflection and inside objects blend well and create one image.I like the mono-sized elements in your photo,it looks like a puzzle.The hidden faces are fun to find.No much story though,but nice to look at. Happy shooting!

on July 7, 2018

Hello Matan,

I really like the first image and how it took me a moment to see the eyes peering out. At first it looks quite busy, so the face was a nice surprise. I’ve always liked these sort of window shots. Nice job! 

on July 7, 2018

Hi Matan! I really like the first one, so many different realities, and that person in the center, his (her?) expression, the hand… I think it’s great!

on July 8, 2018

Hello Matan.
The exposure of your 2nd photo is nice; for me this type of image is a still life and you can control everything. I suggest looking at the negative space between objects particularly the stove and pot on the right side. Cheers.

on July 9, 2018

Great chaotic/mishmash effect in the first photo. I am drawn to the face in the center which looks as if it is attached to the part of the body walking by. 

on July 9, 2018

These are both such good photos. I really like the first one where the eyes just pierce right through the glass and are right in the middle despite all the reflection. Such a good composition. I’d love to see some more color though!

on July 11, 2018

Both imagens are good but your first one is by far the best of the two…it is a bit chaotic though but still good… it represents very well the topic of this exercise…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on July 7, 2018

Hello friends!

I liked the “Cafe” assignment!Such a great idea! Approaching strangers in a cafe seems to be much easier than in  a street.I wouldn’t say people are more relaxed in there,rather they are more absorbed in their work,phone calls or newspapers.No much interaction and in most cases I feel like they want to be left alone.But from a photographic point of view I think people are less suspicious and less expecting to be photographed,which often means easier candid shots.As one of the Starbucks baristas mentioned the other day people were “enjoying their micro-vacation” from the Chicago’s heat in the cafe.So my choice was to respect that and not bothering them.Shooting inside is more challenging than outside,but on the other hand easier to compose.And I already learned to not be afraid of popping up the ISO and to like grain.

The other two images I captured last evening on the way to the same local cafe,too late to have coffee though.The challenge there was the too narrow sidewalk and having to capture people too close.

Thank you Cindy and Erick for the Summer club!Looking forward to the next assignment!

Happy shooting classmates!

on July 7, 2018
on July 7, 2018
on July 7, 2018

Hi Streetfun,

I really like all your photos.

On the first one I like the light, specially the aura you got from the board. I think the left side of the image is a bit distracting with the white sign and coffee packages, so I would crop the image a bit or apply some local edits to try and avoid that.

Your second photograph is my favourite from the three, and I think you got a really beautiful expression both from the kid and the woman next to him.

The third photo is really good, too, it makes me wonder what the couple were discussing at the time 🙂

on July 7, 2018

Hello Streetfun,

I ran into the same issues on my coffee shop visit, maybe a “Starbucks-issue”? 🙂 But I like the colours (especially the pink draws the eye!). Also, the second image is very nice, mainly because of the interaction with the little boy I guess!

on July 7, 2018

Hi Streetfun.  My favorite photo is the second one.  I like how you used the window to frame your subjects, the eye contact of the subjects, and the expression of the little boy.  I look forward to seeing your photos on future assignments.

on July 7, 2018

Hi Streetfun!

The second one is really nice, not just because of the child‘s expression, but also the expression of the woman. I also find interesting what the child is eating and the T-shirt he is wearing, good combination of elements!

on July 7, 2018

Hi Streetfun,

I think the last two images are not too close at all. Personally I like that effect of being up close and feeling really involved with the people. The boy’s expression is great and the mother’s too.

on July 9, 2018

The colors, expression, and composition of the second photo are great. I love the boy’s expression as they wait at the laundromat, this is a very cool picture. 

on July 9, 2018

The expressions in the second and the third are great fun. Very different, but equally entertaining

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 7, 2018

My plan for this assignment didn’t go as I hoped. I am a coffee fanatic myself and I grind and brew my own espresso at home every day so I wanted to go to a cafe that I haven’t visited in a long time that has some unique qualities. I went with my partner because we were both off for the day and it was in the middle of the afternoon so there were not many people, and the one’s I saw were grouped up in heavy conversation or with their families. So I didn’t see any potential in starting up any conversations without feeling intrusive. The cashier also didn’t seem approachable at the time so that was a loss as well.. I didn’t want to miss out on the week so I took images at our table and outside around the desolate cafe. Hopefully in future assignments I can learn to find ways to adapt and capture photography in all situations. Thanks!! 

Outside we found a cool abandoned roofless structure that had art painted on it’s standing walls. I shot this image of Frida on one of the walls. 

on July 8, 2018

I adore your submission actually, especially the first. I love the bold number framed within the colorful blur and a hint of Frida in the background. I think you did adapt and capture great photography for this assignment. I found inspiration walking the streets to the cafe, but found little inspiration once inside. You’ve done a much better job with the assignment.

on July 9, 2018

@lisadorenfest 

Thank you very much for your nice and inspiring words. Actually that is my partner hiding in the bokeh, neither of us really enjoy being photographed so I shot at 1.4 to capture him and the table number to try to add some hint of human presence in the image. He held my iced espresso drink as well for me so I’d have a second image to work with. I am very pleased that you enjoyed my submission this week, I was a bit disappointed with the cafe and did not have time to attempt again before the end of the week. 🙂 Thank you!  

on July 9, 2018

I am drawn by the colors in all three pictures.

on July 9, 2018

I really enjoy the simplicity of these with the wonderful pop of colors! I think you did a great job capturing the mural as well. Would love to see some more lines/leading the viewers eye into your shot.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 7, 2018

So here’s my take on this weeks assignment. At the coffeehouse, I struggled to get some pictures, mainly because the people didn’t seem very approachable. Some were looking at their phones and the few others tried to get their coffee fix before heading to the nearby train station. So no luck this time, but on the way there, I managed to capture a couple taking a very funny selfie in front of St.Stephens Cathedral. It lasted only for a few seconds, but I was in the right spot at the right time.

on July 7, 2018

Hi Lukas,

Yes, great timing to capture this. I’d suggest cropping off the left hand side and giving it a portrait orientation would remove a lot of distraction and bring a lot more emphasis to the expressions.

on July 8, 2018

Lukas,
I agree with RobV. The way I see it there is a line from their camera through their faces to something in the background – to the upper right – that they want to capture. If you took the photo in portrait and aimed to the right we would catch a glimpse of what they find selfie worthy. Cheers.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 7, 2018

I took the two first photos in two diferent cafes. The weather was too nice to sit inside, so  I just sat on the terrace and I took the photos there.

I was walking when I made the photo of the child. I was photographing someone else when she appeared. It was a nice moment.

on July 7, 2018

Hi Caterina,

The juxtaposition of the man inside and the two people on the bench in the reflection is well judged. I wonder whether this image could be improved with a bit more contrast, though.

The photo of the girl is great. The colour contrast of her jumper to the wall is really effective at drawing your eye to the girl and is more effective because of her having pulled it over her legs. Also, you caught her eyes looking straight at you and you wonder what she’s thinking.

on July 8, 2018

Hi Caterina,

I really like your first photo, I think the glass reflection works really well there. I also think that making it black and white was a good decision. As RobVanderpoel said, I would personally try to increase the contrast a bit.

The second photo is really nice. I love the colours, the expression of the girl, and I think the composition works good, too.

Great job 🙂

on July 9, 2018

Hi Caterina, 

All Great images, the second is my favorite of the week. I love the colors and how they compliment each other and I love the connection of the girl to the camera, I think it intrigues the viewer of what she might be thinking and it captures her youthful innocence as well. Great photo, well captured. 

on July 9, 2018

Hello Caterina!I like the second photo!The girl,the bike and the empty street are a good story opener.She looks like trying to protect herself by covering her knees with the dress ,but at the same time curiously stares at the camera -I love that tension!My taste though always goes for a wider view of the scene and if it was me I would choose landscape orientation of the photo and see more from that street.But that’s my taste.Good work!

on July 9, 2018

Hello Caterinal.  My favorite photo is the young girl.  I love her expression, how she has pulled her sweater over her knees, and the placement of her doll behind her.  I also like the shooting angle.  I wish the crop was closer.  I feel like the bicycle is competing for my attention.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 7, 2018

Hi there,

Great to have the opportunity to share street photos here and get feedback. Inside a café didn’t work so well so here’s one taken on the way and another walking past.

on July 9, 2018

Clever composition in the first one. I think the man and child are looking at something else but your position lines them up perfectly to be watching the back side of the skater float by. 

What I find interesting in the second is that the people look incredibly close but oh so far away, like there is a wall separating them. Interested to learn how you got that effect.

on July 9, 2018

The different layers and subframing make the second picture interesting to analyze. maybe would be a little bit better if the man on the left would not have been cut off. 

on July 9, 2018

Hello Rob! I like the humor in your first photo!Both the kid and his ffather looking at the same direction,probably seeing different things 🙂 Would the photo be more intriguing if the roller scares were missing from the frame?

on July 9, 2018

I really love your subjects in both of these. The colors aren’t overpowering and the overall mood feels relaxed, almost like a coffee shop themselves. Really great mood shots!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 8, 2018

Hi, the assignment for me was real fun, because I havent done this for a looong time. Late caffe and early beer… football and priests.. I was not comfortable approaching people at the beginning, but I softened, as I fall in the scene. Photographing in a caffe was not easy, because I couldn’t find the right angle. But people I found much more relaxed.

on July 8, 2018

Hello Klemen.
I’m drawn to your last photo. If anything I’d suggest trying to get some separation between the man’s head and the lion/dragon sculpture. All the best, David

on July 9, 2018

I like the third photo exactly as it is composed. The lines are great and the head of the man and the lion almost seem to be reflections of each other.

on July 9, 2018

Hello Kleenex!I really like your first photo for it’s surreal look!The partially showing car looks like trying to get out,but the (sleeping?) lady works like a barier and stopping it 🙂 Well spotted!Nice film tones as well.A little closer approach might work better.

on July 9, 2018

Sorry for misspelling your name Klemen!Blame my phone for doing that.

on July 9, 2018

Really like the juxtaposition of the man’h with beard and the lion. Also B&W removes any distraction.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 8, 2018

Hello!
I have been loitering here at EricKim for a while but saw this class only yesterday. I am not comfortable asking people to take their photograph – indoors or out – so I thought this was a great way to get off the fence and try and push myself.
Thanks, David

on July 9, 2018

Hi David,

The second picture is my favourite. I specially like the crossed legs and arm, making the posture look like it’s part of the tiled wall.

I also like a lot the contrast in the third picture. I would have tried changing my point of view and crouch down there, but from here is hard to know if that would made a better photo.

on July 9, 2018

Hey David! 

I feel ya on the talking to people issue, its so hard 

I like your images, the first one is mysterious and has nice texture and contrast, The second one has really nice lines leading your eye through the photo, from the foreground chair, to the countertop, to the bar top in the back, kind of a zig zag going on. This seems like a nice chance to ” work the scene” maybe sit there for a bit and take many photos could get an even more interesting focal point or subject. The last one is interesting because it has such strong contrast. It feels almost abstract since you really have to study it to identify the content. The lighting gives some cool geometric shadows the the white plant. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos! 

Amy

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on July 8, 2018

I’ve enrolled in Street Club Summer School 2018 given I did some of my best photography work in Street School 2017 and desperately needed a push to further my photography.

I very much enjoyed this assignment, attempted it twice, but somewhat failed in the second half. Each time, I picked a new cafe, slowly meandered my way there, pushing my way out of my comfort zone along the way using your ’10 NOs’ assignment from last summer. I am in Nosy Be Madagascar, where unlike Penang, the ’NOs’ flow freely. The ’NOs assignment carried me through in the face of rejection.

While both walks yielded decent photos, I struggled to find inspiration in the cafes. Perhaps it is because I chose to reenter my comfort zone, dining at western-style cafes, celebrating my efforts to stare down street rejection with a baguette and espresso.

Next time, I plan to go to a local cafe, but wait to exercise my rejection muscle (asking for Nos) until I get there.

While I didn’t create any masterpieces this week, I captured a few photos that I am happy with; much better than what I have been shooting recently.

It is good to be back in school.

on July 9, 2018

Hi lisadorenfest,

I like the picture you shared, specially how both girls are posing. Looking forward to seeing your photos for the next assignments!

on July 9, 2018

Hello Lisadorenfest,

I can totally relate to your experience with breaking out of comfort zones and into the world of street photography. I personally get anxiety when I am bring my camera into a social setting and it is something I am trying to learn to break for my love of real life imagery. I love the portrait you’ve shared here, it’s a vivid and compelling image of what daily life is for the women in the photo. The expressions on their faces show a bit of curiosity of you and your camera and I really like how it is composed with the vegetables she is holding in the frame. Beautiful first submission, definitely one of my favorites so far!    

on July 9, 2018

@edmundoa Thank you so much for your comment and encouragement! Looking forward to hanging out with you in Week 2!

on July 9, 2018

@Howwls Eric’s lessons have really helped me to chip away at my ‘street anxiety’ but I find that every time I sail to a new place, I feel I have to tackle it all over again. The good news is that getting out there and forcing myself to push through the anxiety really helps me to gel with a new place. Look forward to having your companionship in this course as we work through our anxieties.

on July 9, 2018

Hello Lisadorenfest!Really nice authentic portrait!I like her beautiful face and how she looks relaxed at the camera,obviously not minding at all being photographed.Did you asked for permission and if so did you try more poses?The chery on this image is the second face behind her shoulder!

on July 9, 2018

@Streetfun I am delighted that you liked the image. I did ask permission and she was kind enough to say yes (or at least to not say ‘no’ or ask me for money which happens a lot here in Madagascar). I made a lovely close up of her as well but thought the shot with her curious friend was more interesting.  I stopped after that because I was afraid of overstaying my welcome. Next time, I will try to stick around a bit longer. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 9, 2018

This is from a cafe in Moscow, Russia. The two women in the photo were mesmerized by something for quite a while. I did not want to interrupt and ask because they were so enthralled by whatever they were looking at. 

on July 9, 2018

A wonderfully universal image – no time for conversation when the screen beckons. Bravo 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 9, 2018
Took a slow walk to a new cafe, where I have not bee before. Living in a country village there were almost no people on the street, so my ‘street photography’ was restricted to taking pictures along the roadside. In the cafe I did not manage to overcome my fear and ask some guys to take a photo of them. Anyway had fun to work on the assignment.

Wilhelm

Forsaken

Roadside flowers
on July 9, 2018

Hello Wilhelm,

I can kinda relate to your street issue as mine is quite the opposite yet it is still somewhat difficult to capture people in my location without commuting away into the downtown area. It is very hot and most of the sidewalks are empty as much of the population spend time indoors and drive to their destinations. I really like your first image, the shadow and lines are interesting and they lead my eyes to the yellow and orange items on the left. 

on July 9, 2018

Hey! 

I love your first photo, the tone and mood helps set the scene for what your describing in your write up. I like the pops of color and the texture of it. I also like the cloth hanging from the door it adds a bit of mystery to the shot. 

I love the tone of the first one so much I wish I could see the second in color, but as is the contrast of the flowers to the background is nice. I always like when a photographer has a cohesive tone to there work, sometimes its enough to recognize them in a crowd of photos. Maybe something to think about next time. Even if there are not people in your shots you have some nice urban landscapes here! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 9, 2018

Hi All! 

I went out with a friend who is also participating in the street club, We went pretty early in the morning so the cafe wasn’t to busy, I found it so hard to take photos in this setting, not because the setting wasn’t inspiring but because I felt so intrusive… I did better once going outside, it felt like people had an escape if they didn’t want a camera pointed at them.

I asked the guy at the register if I could take his photo, he had many pins on his apron and a lot of cool cafe stuff behind him, he got so uncomfortable and said ” I’d rather you didn’t” so my confidence for approaching any other strangers fell drastically. 

I didn’t get any photos, but had done this same thing just a week or two before this so here are some cafe photos. Looking forward to feedback on the photos and also on how to get over feeling intrusive when shooting indoors. 

I enjoy working within a square frame so I tend to shoot with that framing in mind. 

on July 9, 2018

Hi Amy, 

I love your squares! the contrast is nice in each of the images, I love how the woman is out of focus in the second shot especially. They all work well together as a set actually. In the first image there appears to be a mans face in bokeh on the left side, I think this is my favorite part of this image as far as composition. I also felt extremely intrusive just ordering a coffee with my camera on my neck and my intentions of capturing images inside the cafe, I think that we all may read into our objectives so much that it makes us kinda nervous if that makes sense.. 

on July 10, 2018

Thanks for the kind words! Totally makes sense, it’s so easy to get in your own head about things. I look forward to the day I can shoot as comfortably as Mark Cohen

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 9, 2018

Hi there, I’m new here, and I love coffee photos, so I’m sharing 2 here when I was in Vienna more than once in this lovely coffee shop. Coffees have to me almost the same sensation as been inside a big airport, lot of people, from everywhere, different vibes and I’m addicted to coffee, but I’m a very quiet person, so I usually seat at coffees to work on my articles, not particularly to talk to people or meet strangers 🙂 

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 9, 2018

Hi all,

Went to a local coffee shop in Los Angeles. Very industrial type vibe that I really liked. Tried to take photos of different subjects but not many people in early in the morning surprisingly.

I had a shot with a nice bus blurred in the background while it was driving by. But failed to notice until I got home that the subjects were also blurry.

The photo I chose here reflects what I like most about photography; the colors, the lines, and catching variances. I wasn’t able to take very many photos. But this one was my favorite of the batch.

Thanks, -Matthew

on July 10, 2018

Hi Matthew, 

I really like the vantage point of your shot, The contrast is nice and gives the image atmosphere, it feels cool and relaxing. The leading lines are awesome, they really guide my eyes across the image well. Honestly I can’t say there is anything I would suggest doing differently without seeing the location for myself, I think you’ve nailed it! 🙂 

on July 12, 2018

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the kind words. I hope to continue doing well and learning as we go.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel