x100f vs xe3/pancake for street photography

Updated 4 days ago in Equipment
3 on November 21, 2018

I think I’ve read most of what’s on the web about this decision but I’m still struggling with it. I want to start doing street photography but I’m worry that the fixed-lens x100f would be too limiting if I want to do other types of photography when I travel. Now, I can get the xe3 with an inexpensive Fuji lens for about the same price as the x100f (~$1200). To keep things light for street photography, I’m thinking on a pancake lens such as the 18mm/f2 or the 27mm/f2.8, which should keep the weight about the same as the x100f. My main question is how much better is the x100f than the xe3/pancake combination?

• Liked by
0 on November 21, 2018

I’m sorry but things got more complicated. Now, with the new xt3 and black friday, it’s possible to find the xt2 for just $1000. I know it’s bigger and heavier than the x100f or the xe3 but it has many cool features….

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 2, 2018

I find that more options are limiting. I take more photos when I have fewer cameras. I take more/better photos when I don’t change my lens. In my opinion the biggest decision is choosing a focal length, then sticking with it. It’s more important to know your gear and know the asthetics you prefer in your photos. This article of Eric Kim’s talks about creative constraints. Maybe it will help you in your decision.

I recently acquired my third x100. I sold one because I switched to a Ricoh GR (which I am on my second Ricoh GR, but that is another story), then I switched back to an x100s, then I switched to a Leica (which I am now on my second, but that is yet another story), now I picked up the x100f. 

Wasted time and resources. The key is to just take photos and learn your gear. The rest works itself out with volume. Practice, practice practice.

And the x100f is an amazing ASP-C camera, 24 megapixel is so much information. If you get the x100f you won’t be disappointed.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 4 days ago

the prices on the older x100s dropped due to the new x100f. When i broke my x100 i got an x100s at a steal of a deal with extra batteries. I paid 500 canadian and ported my old accessories over 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel