Street Club Winter School Week 3 Assignment

Updated on January 23, 2018 in Critique
36 on January 14, 2018

Hello Everyone! Thank you for participating and providing such great feedback and support!

Week # 3 Assignment DON’T MOVE Choose a busy / interesting street corner, don’t move and photograph around you.

PURPOSE: The benefit of this assignment is that when you are  just standing still, in one corner, people begin to ignore you. You become invisible. Not only that , but people are walking into your territory. you will realize that you can let your subjects come to you , instead of always trying to chase down your subjects

• Liked by
  • andriyka
  • M. Wilde
1 on January 15, 2018

Thanks Vicki! Also love the example shot, with the woman in “V” legs, and the pink text coming out of her head. We all appreciate your work!

Eric

on January 15, 2018

Thank you Eric, it’s my pleasure!!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on January 15, 2018

When I was hanging around under a railway bridge, a girl ran to me from the other side of the tunnel. So I adjusted my camera and waited…

on January 15, 2018

The look on her face, who or what is she running from? Perhaps it’s a conspiracy? Nice shot!

on January 18, 2018

The look on her face IS wonderful. I like the darkness around her- everything but the subject could be in Black and white, so her blue outfit and beautiful skin tone really stand out. You’ve captured movement through a bit of blur and the angle of the shot. I think, though, that along with her expression, the think I like most about this shot is the way the light is hitting her skin: that glow and shine highlight her exertion and really bring life to your subject. Well done! 

on January 20, 2018

Yannsong, I really like what you’ve captured. Her expression combined with the movement and color and just enough light, almost make it look like both feet are floating, and gives it a mysterious quality, making the viewer question what shes running from. Well done!

on January 20, 2018

Good native energetic shoot! One think I can advice here is to try do the same shoot with flash. It might help to emphasize the runner more.

on January 21, 2018

I think that if you would just waited a little more before you take the photo so she gets closer, It would’ve look better, and as Andriyka says you could’ve use your flash to also freeze the motion.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on January 17, 2018
on January 18, 2018

This is one of the best photographs I’ve seen in a while on the site. It makes me think so much, my imagination is running wild man… Is the kid being lured into something bad? He’s walking looking at the big bad wolf and around the corner there’s graffiti that simply says “TOYS” and an arrow pointed down… damn. Love this man… 

on January 18, 2018

I also love this one, Luis. I agree with M Wilde about the fairy tale mural and the toys graffiti- they are wonderful! The colours are all warm light, and then you have the kid with his dark hair and in his black jacket- wonderful contrast. Great job! 

on January 19, 2018

Good shot M. Wild…lots of meanings…I agree with Geoff: light but still vivid colors and  the great contrast of the figure of the boy…most important to me that adds drama to the shot: the look of the boy towards the grafitti which makes wonder what is he thinking…congrats…

on January 20, 2018

Great shot, Luis Alvarez Marra! Really love it, the color and light are spot on. The boys legs are in a V shape , he looks completely enticed by the graphitti, making the viewer feel like he may be drwn into doing something he shouldnt, Just great!!

on January 20, 2018

Excellent street photo! I like soft colors and balanced photo light! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 18, 2018
on January 20, 2018

Geoff,  I really like the complex layering to the right of the frame. I like how on eye of the woman is obscured and it looks like her head is just floating. I also like how the right side of the frame has a lot going on and the left side is very simple, making it almost look like 2 images, well done.

on January 21, 2018

Nice photo. I would have liked to see his face to make it look even better… But I like it.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on January 18, 2018

In the absence of specific photos (after 1 hour in this street corner) I decided to set up a polyptych with 4 photos of a very special Coffee place from my city … It is the “Café Dona Júlia”, quite historic and with people who work there or that are frequent customer, who are really characters … I am only showing three of them…but they many … It is a polyptych that could be placed in a time capsule because it would help in 100 years or more to tell a little of the history of this place and of my city…

on January 20, 2018

Hi Amozeto. I like the solution you came up with to create a polyptych. I like all four photographs, but the quality of the bottom one surpasses the others, in my opinion- I really like it. I like the variety of expressions in the three portraits. But when I look at these pictures, I am yearning for something that ties the people to this special location. I would almost never encourage someone to pull back from a shot, but perhaps common element in the background could give the portraits more connection to the cafe and too each other. On the other hand, that might make the overall picture too cluttered. I’m not sure. I can tell you really love this place. Have you ever thought about doing a small series on it and it’s patrons?

on January 20, 2018

Also, kudos to you for spending an hour in the same place. I must admit my patience ran out after standing in the same spot for about 20 minutes on a cold blustery day. 

on January 20, 2018

Amozetto,  I really like what you’ve created here. in a way , it reminds me of Jose luis Palma. I like the different expressions, I also like that the way the men are on top and the architechture is below, human over the man made, really creative. I also like Geoff’s suggestion of tying them together, maybe even play with multiple exposure? could have a really cool effect.

on January 20, 2018

Great suggestions you’ve given, friends…thanks a lot…but I’ve found myself with little inspiration to photograph that hour in that morning…sometimes things don’t go well the way you thought…but thanks again for trying to read these pictures…

on January 20, 2018

Interesting idea…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on January 18, 2018
on January 20, 2018

M. Wilde, I think this is a great capture. I love that you got this  tender moment between this young couple in the middle of all the architecture. Well done!

on January 20, 2018

Great moment capturing! I like emotions behind this photo! As an improvement it might be better black and white balance. Meaning, less black at the left-bottom part of the shoot and more dark clouds at the upper-right part.

on January 21, 2018

Very nice shot, a bit overexposed but a good photo.

on January 22, 2018

M Wilde, the “decisive instant”, in a frame of dreams: Superb diagonals and tremendous composition … IMO the best of the week, congratulations

M Wilde, usted a logrado fotografiar el “instante decisivo”, en un marco de sueños: estupendas diagonales y tremenda composición….de las mejores de la semana

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 20, 2018

Hello,

Unfortunately, I shoot this assignment only one time this week… So results, IMO, isn’t superb

on January 21, 2018

I like these… 1st one, I like the sullen expression and that hes walking away from the crowd, you can really feel his emotion here. 2nd, I love the bright yellows and refelction of street lights, even though the weather may be dreary, the yellows somehow give a bit of cheer!

on January 21, 2018

I really like the first one, the second one if you take off all the colors it doesn’t say anything to me.
I hope Im not being too critic about it I just comment from my point of view, I am just a beginner in this.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 21, 2018

Zombie night
A last cigarette before sunset
An uncomfortable selfie

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 21, 2018

I picked an area in the oldest part of our city, and right now we are celebrating our tricentennial. So come on down at some part of the year and celebrate with us…

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 22, 2018
on January 22, 2018

8:30 pm, but too much sun, among other defects …..

20:30 hr, pero aún demasiado sol, entre otros defectos…..

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 23, 2018

hello to everyone on the forum 

here is mine, was waiting there 5-10′ for someone to pass by and a lady with one black and one white dog passed by 

• Liked by
Cancel