Street Club Winter School Week 2 Assignment

Updated on January 18, 2018 in Critique
77 on January 7, 2018

Hello Everyone! I am posting this weeks assignment a little early as I am travelling in our new camper van and finally have access to an internet connection! 

Week # 2- Assignment ONE SQUARE BLOCK – Take photos within 1 square block area for 1 week

PURPOSE: Constraints breed creativity.This assignmeent will force you to be creative with the space and area that you have and for you to get to know that area really well.

• Liked by
  • Joy
  • Cindy Nguyen
  • M. Wilde
  • andriyka
5 on January 7, 2018

Hello,

1. Has this block be around a house or around office or I can select any block? I’m asking as different blocks are more interesting than others 🙂
  2. Should we post as usual only 1 the test photo, right?
on January 7, 2018

I’d say any block will do. I’m going downtown for a few hours one night and posting my three best pics.

on January 7, 2018
I’m going downtown for a few hours one night and posting my three best pics. From BradenPurcell.com

I would say one time photo session isn’t good idea. I think it’s better to select the most boring block in your environment and visit it many times for discovering it’s beauty.

on January 8, 2018

Mee too I’m interested. Does it has to be a block where we live, where we work, or can we select a block in the neighborhood? 

on January 8, 2018

Hello. Just my thoughts, for whatever it’s worth. Given that there are no other restrictions provided, I would think it’s the photographer’s prerogative to choose the block. This might be due to practicality: a block close to home, school or work where we know we can afford to spend sufficient time shooting during the week. Or a block we know very well to refresh our perspective. Or, to push our creative boundaries, a block we might perceive to be “difficult” or which is totally unknown to us. In my opinion, we choose a block that is feasible and which we believe will offer the best opportunity for growth. In a community like this, I’m sure we’d all be supportive of whatever personal artistic decision we make about the specific block.

on January 8, 2018

Don’t worry about the location of the block, just focus on trying to ‘see’ things you might not have slot iced before. Walk slowly, look up, down around. Remember that for every 1 photo you upload, leave three constructive critiques for others photos. Excited for this week!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 7, 2018

This assignment reminds me of Jon Luvelli’s book “One Block” published in 2015.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 9, 2018

You should try to choose your block or one close to you, that you pass by every day without much notice. The purpose is to challenge you to make a beautiful photo of something not that interesting or beautiful. Make the mundane interesting, although in the end, the choice is entirely yours! Yes, 1 best photo please.

• Liked by
Cancel
10 on January 10, 2018

Hello everyone…After three laps in the chosen block these are the 2 photos that I would like to upload. I did not like 100% of them, but some attraction seems to have … especially invoking movement … but, I did not find anything more attractive/beaultiful in the chosen block … sorry …

on January 11, 2018

Hi Amozeto. The colour in the first photo is very nice and the windo is very strong. Too bad the shirt was not orange, which would be complimentary to all those lovely blues. I think it would be interesting if you had gotten a little closer and framed the scene without the horizontal section of the wall on the right and put a little more white space on the left of the street number (it feels a bit too close to the edge). I like that he is running instead of just walking, and in the smallest detail, I like that his foot is about to step down on a leaf. It sounds like you were a bit frustrated with your results in this exercise. If so, you were not the only one. I found this exercise pretty tough. Cheers!

on January 11, 2018

amozeto:

The color of his photography is very striking and I think that having left aside the black and white was a good decision

The blue waves bring more movement to the running knight, while the blue design of the window points to the man and makes him more present.

I think it could have helped the use of bracketing or burst shooting to choose the moment where the man is closest to the center of the window, between the waves. Perhaps a closer and restricted frame would have allowed a greater enhancement of the set

The “212” adds a bit of humor.

————

amozeto:

El colorido de su fotografía es muy llamativo y me parece que haber dejado de lado el blanco y negro fue una buena decisión

Las ondas azules aportan más movimiento al caballero que corre, mientras que el diseño azul de la ventana apuntan al hombre y lo hacen estar más presente

Creo que podría haber ayudado el uso de bracketing o disparo en ráfaga para elegir el momento donde el hombre está más cercano al centro de la ventana, entre las ondas. Quizás un encuadre más cercano y restringido hubiese permitido un mayor realce del conjunto

El “212”, le agrega un poco de humor.

on January 11, 2018

By the way, according to Geoff, this assignment is also uncomfortable for me (we are a least 3) 😂

on January 11, 2018

Re being uncomfortable- just to clarify. Frustrating and challenging, yes. But I do believe it was a valuable exercise. After all, it got me off my ass and out to take pictures, even during a torrential rain storm. 

on January 12, 2018

Amozeto, the first photo is my favourite. I like how the blue of the window continues in the blue of the wall and the clothes of that running man. 

I would opt for a more frontal composition, it would straighten the picture and accentuate the horizontal lines in the image.   

on January 12, 2018

Like you the first photo cause of colors. Everything is stylish. However, the plot isn’t so interesting. But I understood how is difficult to combine both visual attractiveness and plot.

on January 14, 2018

Great shots. I think both really capture the movement and life of the block. 

on January 14, 2018

I really like both of them. Good movement of the subject and contrast. I agree that you could get closer to them, fulfilling the frame with their movement. It seems to me that the block is rally on constant change. Congrats my friend.

on January 14, 2018

I Love the first photo. The movement of the backround, plus the subject are spot on, Color and light are also great, Well Done!

on January 14, 2018

Thank you all for the great critiques you all wrote respect my 2 photos of the 2nd assignment… I was not able to respobd earlier as I had no internet connection where I was staying… thanks again…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on January 10, 2018

A pigeon flying 

on January 11, 2018

Hi Nikh, I think that you could’ve used a faster shooter speed so the wings dont get blur, wider aperture and perhaps a higher ISO to see something else in the frame… Also when you photograph something, it doesn’t always have to be in the center of the frame, I learned from Erick the rule of thirds for composition wich it doesn’t always apply but in this picture at least for cropping it would have made it look better.

on January 11, 2018

Hi NIKH. Joy makes a good point about the composition, but I have a slightly different take. I’m not really concerned about the centering per ce, but there is a lot of black space on the sides which does not add to your photo. I do really like the negative space in the sky created by the buildings, and I personally like the blurred wings- it adds some movement and life contrasting with those big black man-made buildings. I know square photos are rare in street photography (I’m not sure why), but I was intrigued to see what would happen if you switched to 1:1. I hope you don’t mind that I tried it: 

on January 11, 2018

NIKH, I think that Geoff’s suggestion it’s very Interesting
The blur of the wings gives a great movement to every bird that flies and is photographed, I would keep the blur

on January 11, 2018

NIKH, I like this image. The play with light and shadows, is what’s grabbing and holding my attention. This photograph is following the rule of thirds and bending it at the same time, lastly the negative space adds tension.

on January 11, 2018

One question, how many days did you shoot before you got this shot, and how many days did you shoot?

on January 12, 2018

Thank you for your comments.

Geoff, you’re right, there is too much black space in my photo, I like your crop. It’s definitely a good suggestion. 

Mogrizzly, I went shooting on my day off, I took about 30 photographs in one block. This photo was my favourite. I had the work of André Kertész in my mind when taking this picture. In particular his ‘Landing Pigeon’

on January 12, 2018

Nice shoot, . Like your catch the moment of pigeon flight, simple color solution of the photo and how the pigeon is visually separated from houses. The photo might be even more interesting if e.g. a flight was in the sky at the same time as the pigeon but… it’s a hunting not for one week…

on January 14, 2018

NIKH, I like the fact that you looked UP! It’s easy to forget to stop and look up while on the street. 

on January 14, 2018

This is for Nikh, I like your photo very much, I like the angles, I hapen to like the blur of the wings, it shows movement, I also really like hoe the bird is not centered, Good Job.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on January 11, 2018

Hello everyone, here are my three photos, same block, same background… Thank You.

on January 11, 2018

Of the three, the first is my favourite. The hood in the second photo distracted me because I at first thought it was a second person. I like the third photo, but wish there was just slightly more separation between the bird and the light fixture. I love the layers in the first photo. The strong verticals are wonderful and I really like you have framed both the Lady Liberty and the person walking within them. The tone and crispness of all three photos are very nice. 

on January 12, 2018

Joy, IMO, the first one is the best composition.

Perhaps it would have helped to bring the fence a bit closer and keep the statue of freedom, the walker and leaving the trunk of the tree in between, leaving the other vertical structures on the right and left out of the frame

Best regards

———-

Joy, en mi opinión, la primera es la que mejor composición tiene.

Quizás hubiese ayudado acercarce más a la reja y manteniendo la estatua de la libertad, la caminante y dejando el tronco del árbol entremedio, dejar fuera del marco las otras estructuras verticales de la derecha y de la izquierda

Saludos cordiales

on January 13, 2018

Hi Joy, 

Love the black and white. Love the contrasts in every photo. 

I do wish I could see something else in the photos… maybe a different angle? 

on January 14, 2018

The second one really catches my eye. The third makes me think of a claw machine arcade game. Insert your quarters then move the claw around and try to grab the Statue of Liberty prize. =)

on January 14, 2018

Joy , My favorite of the 3 is the last one. I think its really creative, I love the angle of the bird, it seems like its just hanging, waiting for something, making the viewer question whats hapening… I love it!

on January 14, 2018

Thank You all for your critics…

on January 17, 2018

I love high contrast black and white, and those are no option. The one that I prefer is the first where it’s all well balanced and the Statue seems to go the opposite side of the man walking, the gnarled tree trunk act as a strange and original division line. The last is the one I simply don’t understand. The seagull it’s in the “wrong” place, and there isn’t so much going on. It’s unbalanced.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on January 11, 2018

My block was a well-used dog park- a stretch of land running between Dallas Road and the ocean on Vancouver Island. Over two visits, I ditched a lot of horrible photos of dog walkers.  I did take some wonderful pictures of moody skies, my dog Daisy, a lighthouse, and some wonderful pics of Sea Otters. So, I feel like I found beauty and took photos I am proud of, but nothing anyone would call street photography. Today, after trying again in torrential rains, frustrated, wet and cold, I gave up. I should have picked a block downtown, something with more people. I went into a nearby diner to warm up and stared out the window through their covered patio and out to the street:  Click. This will have to do. 

on January 11, 2018

Geoff, the horizontal and vertical lines of your composition, next to the different planes and the out of focus of the figures of the man and his dog, give your photo an interesting touch

The prohibition, explains why the dog and his master are not inside the restaurant and gives a tremendous note of humor

I like very much the light and contrasts achieved

I would put it in my living room!

———-

Geoff, las líneas horizontales y verticales de tu composición, junto a los diferentes planos y el fuera de foco de las figuras del hombre y su perro, le dan a tu foto un toque interesante

La prohibición del letrero, nos explica el motivo por el que el perro y su amo no están dentro del restaurante y le da una tremenda nota de humor

La luz y los contrastes logrados me gustan mucho

La pondría en mi living room!

on January 12, 2018

Geoff, I like the mood and atmosphere in your picture. The dog looks so sad, walking there in the rain. He’s not welcome in the dry, warm patio. That’s too bad 🙂

I also like how the silhouettes contrast nicely with their surrounding. 

It’s nitpicking over tiny details but I would crop the photo a bit underneath, removing the branches in the middle and the chair in the right corner. It would make the foreground less present and thereby accentuate the silhouettes more.

Good job!

on January 12, 2018

Nice shoot, . The tone of the photo brings some hopelessness and the opposition between a person with dog and the dog prohibition message makes the photo even more dramatic. The rain works on the same feeling. Yes, the consistent feeling is the great advantage of the photo. Thanks!

on January 13, 2018

The silhouettes make me feel curious! 

But… I would crop the photo. I feel that that scene in the middle is so perfect and beautiful that the rest just distracts me.  

on January 14, 2018

Of all the shots, this one is my favorite. I love the gloom, the sadness, the sign that says dogs are not permitted. the owner walking with the umbrella and the dog longing to be on the patio out of the rain, relaxing and eating pastries. Great shot!

on January 14, 2018

Very good! Lots of textures, lines and layers. The atmosphere is also a component of the shot. Good job!

on January 14, 2018

Geoff, This is great! I love the rain, I feel cold and wet just looking at this shot! Love the movement of the person and dog, well done!

on January 17, 2018

I think this is a well composed and well “written” story. There is drama from the black and white. It’s a great street shot. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on January 11, 2018
on January 11, 2018

Hmm, I don’t know what to say about this image here Eugenio. I don’t know what the subject is and I find myself wanting this photograph to do or say something. Maybe if this was framed up with the rules of thirds in mind, something might have stuck out. Right now it’s just a snap shot.

Quick question, how many days did you shoot?

on January 14, 2018

Cool pic. The guys expression is awesome, and the old Shell pump is too cool. 

on January 14, 2018

I think this is a cool capture, I really like how you captured his posture and expresion and the old shell pump reminds me of a Dorthea Lang shot. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 11, 2018

Day 1 is in the books, I took mental notes of some of the more interesting things I saw but did not photograph. I think I will walk in the opposite direction this time and I hope to see something new… I might break out one of my manual focus lens.

on January 12, 2018

Mo, your comment is really very cool. Yes…I hope to improve with time, taking pictures and participating in instances like this and learning from people (like you, for example)

I look forward to seeing some of your photographs in this challenge

Chers

———-

Mo, su comentario es realmente muy cool, espero mejorar con el tiempo, haciendo fotos y participando en instancias cómo está y aprendiendo de personas (como usted, por ejemplo)

Tengo ansias de ver algunas de sus fotografías en este desafío

Chers

on January 13, 2018

Hi Eugenio! I really like the layers on your photo! That thing in the front (no idea of its name in english haha), the guy and the stairs at the back. But I do agree with Mogrizzly493 about being confused on who is the real subject in the photo. What if you crop it horizontaly at the top? 

Good luck! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 12, 2018

I’ve selected my block on my way to office. I visited it twice per day in the morning and in the evening. I’ve made many shoots but it was very hard to catch really smth interesting there 🙁 So this assignment was for me even harder then previous one. Anyway, here are two my the best shoots…

on January 14, 2018

I like the first shot best. The second one is cool because the sidewalk is closed, and it has the business man frustrated. Damn it, he’s going to be late to the office now. He has no time for his overpriced coffee. =)

on January 14, 2018

My favorite is the first one. The light is great and I like how hes in shadow. Really Nice capture!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on January 13, 2018

Hey! 

Can you guess where I live? 

Good luck to all with the photos! 

on January 13, 2018

Cuba?)

on January 14, 2018

A tropical magical place with silk robes, 80’s music, and strong espresso!

on January 14, 2018

I really like the clean lines and angles of the modern architecture!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on January 13, 2018

Taken through shop window while walking the block on a cold night in Paris.

on January 14, 2018

wooow !

on January 14, 2018

Very Nice capture, I can smell the motor oil and fell the grime by viewing this 🙂 

on January 15, 2018

great shot! Like @vickiseabrook said you feel like you are in the workshop. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on January 14, 2018

Hello everyone! This week I choose a very calm and old block to photograph. It can be seen that people still live in a kind of “past” for their habits and way of living. Here goes a car at the sidewalk and a old house with roots.

on January 14, 2018

I love the look of these shots. What camera did you use? The B&W tones are perfect. I like the look of this neighborhood, comfortable, worn in, laid back… my kind of place. I can only imagine how good the food is in this hood. Thanks for sharing!

on January 14, 2018

My favorite is the 2nd photo. I love the upward view, the texture of the vines, the string of lights,  the building , really great!

on January 15, 2018

Hi! 

Like the second one as well. Just wished you played a little bit more with angles and lines of the building and windows 🙂

on January 15, 2018

Thank you all! M. Wilde I used a Canon 50mm 1.8. For effects of development, I used Lightroom. 

Thank you Vicki!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 14, 2018

I was happy to read this assignment I have been doing this for 2 years now.
The block which you see here is my daily walk with the dog. 
For me the reason I did this for so long, and still do this is: 
1. Walking with the dog can be boring sometimes, so why not bring a camera? 🙂 
2. I love to limit myself when it comes to photography. It forces you to be more creative and seeing more details walking the same block for such a long time. 
3. I found myself to be uninspired by my own city and wanted to change this. 

So here are 10 of my best shots so far. I hope you like them. 

on January 15, 2018

Great shots! I like the first 3 the best. The third one being my favorite. 

on January 17, 2018

From this selection I chose the one in black and white at night, that’s full of atmosphere and mood, and the one with the girl behind the truck door, it’s mysterious, somewhat surreal, and white balance is on point. In the last shot I think you can do a better job muting a little bit that yellow that’s too dominating and distract the eye.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 17, 2018

I know I’m late but our tropical climate has changed to something crazy and business and school have been kicking my but.  For this assignment, I planned to shoot 3 days out the week but only made two days because of the weather.  I now have the need to label my images and I call this one “Read more MF Books.”  For this assignment, I did not count the total amount of images shot, but I had to choose between 17 images to submit that one and this is it. 

A sticker on the bumper of a van. 

The leftover images reside on my Flikr page.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 17, 2018

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong, I’m trying to link the photo from flikr. Sorry, will figure this out.

on January 17, 2018

hi there Mogrizzly493, the best way to upload a photo into the forum is to directly upload it “click the icon upload images” and select your image from your computer. After you click reply it should show up.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 17, 2018

Hi, I’m little late on this because I didn’t have time to post, but the only shot I got (from a selection, obviously) is from the week of the assignement. It’s taken in the bar I always go every day past my daily walk. 

on January 18, 2018

Easy Killa! Haha it’s always the small dogs who think they’re grown. This made me smile. =)

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel