Street Club Winter School Week 1

Updated on January 25, 2018 in Critique
4 on January 6, 2018

As first exercise this is very challenging for me. My type of street photography is all about not asking for permission and my technique in years of shooting is build upon not recognizing people I shoot. For three reason: one is the privacy of the model/s, the second is to avoid to contaminate the candid moment, the third is purely of artistic “mood”, if I want to do a portrait I will hire a model, asking people to do something they don’t want to do is really a thing I don’t want to do. And then there is another reason: I’m really really shy. Add to all these reasons the fact that I leave in a very little town (1000 inhabitants ca.), and that this town is in Sicily (a place were, if they see someone with a camera became very suspicious), see how difficult was for me shoot for this type of challenge. But in the end, I think I have my (only) shot. This evening I’m gone to a living nativity scene in a little town near where I live, and in that contest people really don’t mind what’s were going on around them. Maybe I not really completed the challenge (because I’m not going to engage anyone or ask questions!) but at least I do a 0.7 shot. Here it is:

on January 6, 2018

I love the play on light and shadows with this image.  You first two reasons are understandable for not wanting to get in close to photograph your subjects, but that shy statement could have been left out.  You’re a seasoned photographer and I can see that.

on January 7, 2018

I think this photo definitely has an air of mystery! I had to look several times to understand what I was seeing. It almost looks like she is being grabed from behind from around her neck.. I really like your capture!

on January 8, 2018

Really nice shot!! Good angle and nice to hear your techinique/method of doing it.

on January 13, 2018

love ittt

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on January 6, 2018

I finally made it.  Didn’t ask for permission with this subject and they can’t really say much that adults can understand.  I had a chance to experiment with my iphone X camera and all of the lovely settings.  I think this camera will work for some street photography in the near future for myself.  Please enjoy my first post to Street Club Winter School.

on January 6, 2018

I got to get myself one of them iPhone X. Nice Shot!

on January 7, 2018

Yay glad to have you here @Mogrizzly493. I love how the light falls on her face and the off-center framing 🙂

on January 7, 2018

I think this is a beautiful capture! Light and framing are spot on! well done!

on January 9, 2018

Love the black negative space. With a great subject nothing can be wrong. Good job

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on January 6, 2018

Hello,

I did some candid photos from a short distance and some portraits with permissions. From my experience the best way to do a portrait of a stranger is to ask about this directly. Moreover, it’s a chance to do more then one photo of the same person, to do work the scene and, as a result, to select the best photo form the set.

on January 7, 2018

The light, colorexpresion are all really lovely! Maybe try to get even closer, fill the frame with her hair wich has amazing texture! Really great capture!

on January 8, 2018

I have to agree, get closer. I would like to see the contact sheet for this subject, to really see if you picked the best image.

on January 13, 2018

wow! so cool! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 7, 2018

It’s cold af in Dallas, but I managed to go downtown to Lamar by the Greyhound station and McD’s to get a hundred no’s, a few threats, and this one yes. 

on January 7, 2018

Love the jesture and expression. Try to get even closer 🙂  Love the shot though, well done!

on January 7, 2018

For some reason I thought it was 5 yes and 5 no like the first assignment in the streets notes book. Guess I didn’t read the first post, I apologize, I’ll post a close shot on this thread before I go on to assignment two. Thanks for doing the course, it’s fun and helpful.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 7, 2018

Thank you everyone for participating in this assignment. Everyone’s feedback is fantastic and while I am providing these assignments and critiques, I am humbled by the challenge and I really appreciate the opportunity!

on January 8, 2018

Thanks for being such a gracious host.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 23, 2018

Angle.

• Liked by
Cancel