Street Club Winter School Week 1

Updated 5 days ago in Critique
108 on January 1, 2018

Street Club Winter School Week 1 –

Happy New Year and Welcome! Here is your assignment for the week. Upload your new photo that you shot this week to this thread. Please provide 3 critiques for each photo you upload to this thread. Enjoy! Best, Vicki

Week # 1-  Assignment: ONE ARM LENGTH – For the entire week, shoot from .7 meters ( One arm length distance) Practice asking for permission and getting close to your subject

PURPOSE: If you have fear when it comes to shooting street photography, getting super close to your subjects, it will force you to build confidence and become intimate with your subjects. You can start off asking permission from your subjects. Then engage with them, ask them questions, and take photos very close. If you are nervous, you can also try focusing on details like their hands or shoes at first. TIP: When you think you’re close enough, get closer, especially if you’re shooting with a 28mm / Ricoh 🙂 

• Liked by
  • Joy
  • heliocarvalho
  • M. Wilde
  • andriyka
2 on January 1, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for the first assignment!

Could you, please, advice some articles (here on Eric sight or somewhere else) where this technic is described and where some additional tricks advised (I haven’t Google this topic jet)? Honestly, this assignment is really scary for me 🙁 

Also how many weeks will take this winter school (gonna take vacation on Feb and want to know preliminary)?  

on January 1, 2018

Hi Andriyka,

I would check Eric’s webite first, he has so much valuable information that may help you. Also , his youtube channel.

I understand this may be scary, that is why I chose this one! 🙂  People are generally very nice and will mostly say yes to you making their photo. My advise would be to just try to be as relaxed as possible, breathe and smile and have fun with this! Maybe try to find someone with a cool tattoo, or some interesting shoes and fill the frame with that? We are going untill the end of Jan! Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

on January 1, 2018

Thank you for the answer! I’ve understood the idea 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 1, 2018

Just good Eric’s article about .7 meter technic

The .7 Meter Challenge

• Liked by
Cancel
3 on January 2, 2018

Thank you Vicki for getting us started with this first assignment. It might at first sound really intimidating to get close, but it’s a great chance to ask permission from your subject, engage and talk with them, or focus on the details (hands, shoes, hair).

Here is Eric’s example from this week so far:

(And I’m cheating a bit, but this is a fun one I made of Eric when I put a face mask on him when we were too tired during New Year’s Eve countdown)

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s photo!

And my feedback for Vicki’s photo: I love the color tones and perspective of over the shoulder. The leading lines of the road take my eyes to the truck ahead, but I wish the road was a bit more interesting–like a deer crossing or an interesting street sign. But this is such a cool composition that I can imagine you replicating this with other scenes too!

on January 2, 2018
on January 2, 2018

Thanks Cindy! Love the capture of Eric, great color and light, the texture and color of the mask make it creepy and surreal but documenting daily life makes it a powerful image, well done! Makes me want to go use a cool cucumber mask myself 🙂 

on January 7, 2018

I love photos that make me look twice … is he wearing a boa or is that fur on the hood of his coat? really like the lemons floating above his head, Well done 🙂 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 2, 2018
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on January 2, 2018

I explained to her that I was an apprentice photographer, and I needed to take pictures of people no more than 70 cm away …. She accepted the shot and smiled

on January 3, 2018

Nice Tatto, but as the main subject, needs better focus. Try another b&w convertion with more contrast. Regards

on January 5, 2018

Love this one! Simply cool 🙂

on January 5, 2018

Loved the scene as a whole… the tatoo…the hand gesture in the background and the tones of sepia gave as extra value the photograph…

on January 6, 2018

Really nice! Good layers (tatoo/hand/mirror) and nice elements with textures.

on January 6, 2018

This one I think if you where some cm back will add some context to the scene. Also the choice of this tinted b&w is something I usually avoid since I think distract the eye. But it’s just me, I like color or really contrasted b&w. The choice of shooting the tattoo and the detail of the earring is a good one. Also good is the strange hand that seems to be in a place where it should not be. 

on January 7, 2018

I like this photo, from the angle, her hand almost looks detached. You managed the assignment well in getting close to your subject. The light on he shoulder is good, maybe a touch dark in th upper right corner, overall, good job.

on January 7, 2018

Thanks you very much vickiseabrook, thanks colleagues

Your comments and advices will be very useful for me

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 3, 2018
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 4, 2018

Luis, I totally understand what you indicate and I thank you for your comment. Today I photographed her again and took care of the focus, but she wore very tight clothes and the tattoo did not look good. Next Monday I will make a new attempt.

I like your photography, I think it conveys the gentleman’s personality, but perhaps it would add more power using black and white

A hug

Luis, entiendo totalmente lo que me indicas y agradezco tu comentario. Hoy volvía a fotografiarla y cuidar el foco, pero vestía una ropa muy cerrada y el tatuaje no lucia bien. El lunes próximo haré un nuevo intento.

Me gusta tu fotografía, me parece que trasmite la personalidad del caballero, pero quizás agregaría mayor poder el uso del blanco y negro

Un abrazo

on January 7, 2018

Luis, I think this photo has beautiful light and great expression and jesture, Reaaly good!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 4, 2018

Taxi Driver

on January 7, 2018

Love the reflection in his glasses, good job in getting close. The upper right corner is a bit dark, but overall, I think its well done.

on January 7, 2018

Thanks you very much vickiseabrook

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on January 4, 2018

Hello everyone !! I was in shock when I heard about the second edition of Street Club, cuz the first one was AWESOME !!! and I’ve learn a lot from it. Please share Erik and Cindy blog for every photographer or photography enthusiast, as that we can see Street Club III, IV, V hahaha.

So hereby my shot from this week. This very happy merchant from Ghana sells cotton based sheets and clothes in a major avenue in São Paulo city. He liked it and we talked about some good time.

Thank you Eric and Cindy for the new edition of the course! 

on January 5, 2018

Helio

The photo has a great bokeh and a good framing and composition

The subject portrayed is interesting

The arm and hand give this portrait some interesting information about what he might be thinking

His shirt also tells us a story

I like very

Go ahead, please
————————-

Helio

La foto tiene un estupendo bokeh y un buen encuadre

El sujeto retratado es interesante

El brazo y la mano le otorgan a este retrato una informacion interesante acerca de lo que podría estar pensando
Su camisa también nos cuenta una historia

Me gusta mucho

Siga adelante, por favor

on January 5, 2018

Hi Eugenio!

Thanks a lot for the critique! Be sure that I will 

on January 5, 2018

Great/good shot, Hélio…. for me what is most apparent in it and liked the shot because of that is the good contrast you got on the man´s face skin…a real good black…not tones of grey…simply black….antonio

on January 5, 2018

Love his smile! Cool! 

on January 6, 2018

I like the natural look and the contrast of his shirt

I would crop the image a bit above his head

on January 7, 2018

I think you did a great job with this assignment, great expression and jesture! Really like it!

on January 8, 2018

Thanks vickiseabrook!!

on January 9, 2018

Nice Street Portrait!. Next time be careful with light. I prefer more detail (less shadows) in his face. Regards

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on January 5, 2018

Hey everyone! 

Don´t know why Iike this photo… but I do! Let me know what you feel and think! 

I`m sooo excited with this project!

Thanks!

on January 5, 2018

The background is always a problem…in your case the cars are good background elements as they imply more energy/movement to the shot which is in perfect agreement with the main subject which is the man…therefore, the only distracting element in the palm tree…

on January 5, 2018

I actually quite like the palm tree in this shot. The palm and the long hair of the subject that make me think this is a surfer dude in a surfer town. I really like the colours- the tan/orangey skin tones with the lovely blue sky- everything else is neutral.  For me, I’m not sure that the blown out reflection on the car on the right hand side adds much- without it, the reflection on the hair would be the brightest and most eye-drawing element to the scene. Regardless, I too likes this photo, lolitas! 

on January 5, 2018

Dear lolitas_libres (Will you be from Argentina by chance?)

The framing given by the two cars to the body of the subject, together with the closeness of the lens provide a good dose of drama

The colors of your photo are very interesting and dramatic, especially in regard to the color of skin and hair of the man, the color of his pants, and the sky: Those go very well as a whole

The lack of focus, I find it fundamental in his photo, because it increases the impression of movement of the subject and shows how he comes at us, almost to step on our faces

In my opinion, contemporary street photography can admit the lack of focus without any problem, since what is important is the emotion that you (and we) can communicate and produce in the one who observes it

Congratulations

Estimada lolitas_libres (Sera usted de Argentina por casualidad?)

El encuadre otorgado por los dos automóbiles al cuerpo del sujeto, junto con la cercanía del lente le aportan una buena dosis de dramatismo

El colorido de su foto es muy interesante y dramatico, especialmente en lo que se refiere al color de piel y del pelo del hombre, el color de sus pantalones, y el cielo: van muy bien en su conjunto

La falta de foco, la encuentro fundamental en su foto, pues aumenta la impresión de movimiento del sujeto y muestra como él se nos viene encima, casi para pisarnos la cara

En mi opinión, la fotografía de calle contemporánea, puede admitir la falta de foco sin ningún problema, puesto que lo importante es la emoción que usted (y nosotros) podemos comunicar y producir en aquel que la observa

La felicito

on January 5, 2018

Guys! Thank you sooooo much!!! I´m about to cry of joy! 

I´ll keep shooting everywhere and keep posting photos so I can continue learning! 

Hope to see your photos around and talk about them as well ! 

Lots of love and thanks! 

on January 5, 2018

I`m from Chile Eugenio! 

on January 5, 2018

And the subject in the photo is a surfer dude from a surfer town Geoff! Wooohoo !! 

on January 6, 2018

Lolitas ….. I was almost sure that it was “lolitas” argentinas, excuse me …. By the way, I’m from Chile too

Lolitas…..es que con eso de “lolitas_libres”, estaba casi seguro que se trataba de “lolitas” argentinas, disculpe usted….

Por cierto, soy de Chile también

Saludos

on January 6, 2018

Buenisimo! Que loco encontrarnos por aca! Yo vivo en Australia hace dos años pero soy de Santiago 🙂

Un gusto!

on January 7, 2018

I really like the sense of movement with stillness. I like the way you captured him without his head but you know enough to see his long blond hair.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 5, 2018

Hi Vicki…how many photos can one upload for this exercise?…cheers…antonio

on January 6, 2018

1-3 photographs

on January 6, 2018

Only 1.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on January 5, 2018

Here´s my photo to this exercise…it was made in Campinas-SP, Brasil…in my opinion its weakness is that is was made under a very harsh light (midday)…bu it was shot very close with a Fujifilm X100T…

on January 5, 2018

I like the eyes, the expression and the especially the hand gesture: while you may have had permission, the gesture appears very natural. 

on January 5, 2018

thanks indeed, geoff…

on January 5, 2018

Love the angle that her arm makes in contraposition with her hair on the other side of the photo! 

And like the light as well! I can feel the midday sun too! 

on January 6, 2018

Good shot amozeto! Her expression is really nice. The light is strong and made a good shadow under her face.

on January 6, 2018

amozeto

What is better?

In focus / out of focus?
Vertical / oblique light?

In this case, the portrait is less than 1 meter from the lens, very well focused (with a good bokeh in the back)

The zenital light or almost, gives it drama, as well as your look from below (great success)

There are many oblique lines that help to enhance this portrait

The position of the forearm and how she takes her hair with her hand and how she looks down at us, make me think of a goddess

I think you’ve made a good portrait of her.

I am moved

very good

—————-

amozeto

Enfocado / desenfocado?
Luz vertical /oblicua?

En este caso, el retrato está a menos de 1 metro del lente, muy bien enfocado (con un buen bokeh en trasero)

La luz zenital o casi, le otorga dramatismo, lo mismo que tu mirada desde abajo (gran acierto)

Hay muchas lineas oblicuas que ayudan a darle realce a este retrato

La posición del antebrazo y como ella toma su pelo con su mano y como nos mira hacia abajo, me hacen pensar en una diosa

Creo que has hecho un buen retrato de ella.

Me conmueve

Muy bien

on January 6, 2018

thanks a lot, Eugenio….Now, I am the one who is moved by your reading of this portrait I´ve made…

on January 6, 2018

thanks are also due to lolitas_libres and heliocarvalho…all this makes the street club winter school a rewarding experience…

on January 6, 2018

What a nice photo with a natural look, I love the way her hair curles. I would lighten the eyes a bit

on January 6, 2018

Like your photo! It’s well framed (have you cropped it on a computer?), the emotion of your model is great and the gesture is interesting. Can’t advice anything for improvement but… it might be better to try to do the same shot with a flash to avoid too dark shadows.

on January 7, 2018

Amozeto, really nice capture of jesture and expression and how you filled the frame.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on January 5, 2018

I’ve been hesitant to start the first assignment because I really don’t like talking to people, but I broke the ice the other night at a school event and asked a woman if I could take her picture. Much to my surprise she said yes. It’s not a great shot, but I look forward to hitting the streets and starting the first assignment.

on January 5, 2018

I really like that she is looking over her shoulder, with the cell phone Visible. Great smile! 

on January 5, 2018

MichaelWilde:

How good for us that you have overcome your fear.

You show us with this picture, a tremendous sense of composition and framing. You are a master of the diagonals and that gives your photography a lot of character.

The woman … the woman is another story: you have captured the spontaneity of her smile, her look, the turn of her body and head to look at us (while a tiny second before she was looking at the screen of her mobile phone)

In short, an snapshot as it should be …

MichaelWilde:

Que bueno para nosotros que hayas vencido el miedo.

Tu nos muestras con esta foto, un tremendo sentido de la composición y el encuadre. Eres un maestro de las diagonales y eso le da mucho carácter a tu fotografía.

La mujer….la mujer es otro cuento: has captado la espontaneidad de su sonrisa, su mirada, el giro de su cuerpo y cabeza para mirarnos (mientras que un pequeñísimo instante antes estaba mirando la pantalla de su teléfono móvil)

En suma, una instantanea como debe ser…

on January 5, 2018

So sorry, I mean  (not MichaelWilde)

on January 5, 2018

Thank You.

on January 5, 2018

Really like that you captured her expression. You can tell that she`s really nice! 

Also like the diagonals that the lights make!

on January 6, 2018

For me your photo is one of the best here: it’s close made, it’s alive and emotion of the woman is well showed. Really like the photo and, moreover, can’t advice anything as improvement!

on January 7, 2018

I think you captured what this assignmnt was about, getting over the fear to engage and get close! I wouldnt worry about weather the shot is good or not, you completed the task well! I really like her expression and jesture!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on January 5, 2018
on January 5, 2018

Geoff:

In my opinion, one of the most important thing about this photograph is the story you tell us:

For me, for example, your snapshot talks about multiple dimensions and possible connections:

Very cold weather

Religion

Elusive gaze believers

Prisoners

As I said before, for me, one of the characteristics of street photography is to produce reflection in those who look at the photos. You have achieved that in my mind

thanks

Geoff: 

En mi opinión, lo más importante de esta fotografía, es la historia que nos cuentas:

A mi, por ejemplo, me habla de múltiples dimensiones y posibles conexiones:

Mucho frio

Religión

Creyentes de mirada esquiva

Personas prisioneras

Como dije antes, para mí, una de las características de la fotografía de calle es producir reflexión en quienes miramos las fotos.

Tu has logrado eso en mi

gracias

on January 6, 2018

This photo is… evolving. At first I’ve seen the boy in the foreground, than Iooked in the background and it’s like the same person but “older”, a mirror that tells a future. The entire atmosphere is absorbed in a cold environment. And the advertisements in the very far seem to make fun of the real people. 

on January 6, 2018

From my opinion the photo isn’t so interesting. It has a lot of secondary things (magazines, texts etc.) at the center of the photo but boy is on the edge of frame. I would try to put the boy in the center of the frame and surround it this additional things to achieve needed effect. Or simply make a portrait photo of him not to over complicate the photo idea.

on January 7, 2018

I really like this photo, I think if you had stepped just a little to left just a bit and got  low, I think the focus would have been just a bit more ont he boy and not on the stand Howerver, the light is beautiful and I love the jesture of the boy, the body to the right is added bonus. Great!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 5, 2018

Hi Geoff! 

Really like the contrasts in this photo. In every way, the light, the boy, the books, the bible…

• Liked by
Cancel
6 on January 6, 2018

Here is my second shot for this week assignment. Here we have Daniel other really nice guy! Hope you guys like it. See ya

on January 6, 2018

Dear heliocarvalho…great photograph…great portrait…well balanced in terms of light, contrast and texture. Neat background as well.  The eye contact is magnificent…congrats…

on January 6, 2018

Nice photo with contrast (shirt/hair against his skin). The background is a good choice, but maybe to present (sharp) in the photo. Perhaps it’s an idea to make the background less sharp by positioning the man further from the wall. 

on January 7, 2018

Hi! 

Really like the sharp contrasts in the photo! I just feel it would be a little bit more dinamic by shooting from a different angle 🙂

on January 7, 2018

Thanks for the tips!! Liked that you liked it!! 

on January 7, 2018

Nice capture!, love the hair, Maybe try to fill the entire frame with his face Just for an experiment 

on January 8, 2018

Thank you vicki! I will try it again for sure!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on January 6, 2018

If, as Eugenio said, we may upload 1-3 pics in this assignment, here is my 2nd and 3rd ones for your appraisal and critique…hope you all like them…thanks in advance for your comments…cheers…antonio

P.S.: I selected two portraits in color to test myself as I have a hard time to appreciate portraits in color that I´ve been making…I tend to believe that I perform better in B&W with this kind of photographs…

Portrait #1: Poços de Caldas-MG, Brasil

Portrait #2: São Paulo-SP, Brasil.

on January 7, 2018

Photo 1- love his hair and wrinkles, I would have loved to see you fill the frame with his face , Overall nice capture, light and color are great!

Photo 2- good job!

on January 8, 2018

many thanks, vickiseabrook…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on January 6, 2018

A photo of a child passing by

on January 6, 2018

I love this shot. I’m not sure exactly what is going on, which is awesome. Makes me look harder at the image. Great light- I like the way it’s so dark inside, but so light outside, and the way it shows through the plastic.  Very Strong mood. I really like this one!

on January 6, 2018

This are the kind of photos I love. A story narrated by a moment in time. There is a good choice of balancing the harsh light coming from outside and the silhouette of the child in the dark. This vertical plastic bands add a grunge effect and drama to the entire scene. Very well done. 

on January 7, 2018

wooow ! So beautiful! 

on January 7, 2018

Nikh, I love this . the light and jesture are great you can also feel the texture of the blinds, well done, photographing children is difficult because of how quickly they move!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 6, 2018
on January 7, 2018

Svyat, I love the blowing hair with the fur hood! The light and expression is also good. I would have love to see her blowing hair and hood fill the frame, maybe you could have crouched in front of her and angled upwards , otherwise its a great capture!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 6, 2018

New York Streets, winter.

on January 7, 2018

These are beautiful photos. I especially love the first one, her expression, the jesture and light really make you feel how cold and uphappy she is. # 2 is great, I would have loved to see you get just a we bit closer on this one, the eyebrows and the jewel on hr hat almost give her an elf like quality 🙂  The 3rd, love the expression and blowing hair!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel