STREET CLUB Week 5: Gestures

Updated on September 6, 2017 in Critique
3 on August 12, 2017

Hello here are tree Pics:

on August 12, 2017

Thanks for your submission @Marc. Could you choose your one best photo for the submission? Thank you

on August 12, 2017

Lost in all that brickwork, any escape is welcome so the pointed hand actually rewards the viewer. I like this as is and wouldn’t crop. The huge wall stretching out of the frame is great. Maybe a lower German expressionist-type angle would nicely add to the disconcerting feeling of disorientation?

on August 13, 2017

Nice shot the 3rd one…I have the impression that this shot would benefit from a lower angle view and if you did not crop the subject´s feet…but the background is a simple one which adds value to your shot…thanks for sharing…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on August 12, 2017

Hey guys.

“Cockfight in Bali”

on August 12, 2017

on August 12, 2017

Thanks for your submission @Ciprian. Could you choose your one best photo for the submission? Thank you

on August 12, 2017

Though the subject matter may be disturbing I like the picture. Glad to see no rule of thirds and that the hero takes centre stage. I’m sure the whole thing is a messy business. Maybe more main subject isolation? In this case though, the subject is probably strong enough to stand out from the crowd. A slight vignette then?

on August 13, 2017

Pick the chicken one. As said above, I like the center framing and the main subject as well as the man on the right side fit the ‘gesture’ idea nicely. I like that a lot. 

on August 13, 2017

Tnx guys 🙂 The first one is my choice for this submission, sorry I uploaded too many.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 12, 2017
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 12, 2017

It’s intriguingly atmospheric and geometric at the same time. The vertical bars break it up nicely. It’s almost like a medieval triptych, – though the gazes of the subjects don’t quite allow that suggestion to quite work. Might be worth exploring for a future picture?

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on August 12, 2017
on August 12, 2017

Awesome!  It has a super surreal feel to it.  I also like how the tarp cuts half-way through the frame.

on August 12, 2017

Scary how she’s so mesmerized by the monster! I love it. I think it would have been more gripping without any context or background, ie if somehow the tarp filled the backdrop. Obviously hard to do on the hoof!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 12, 2017
on August 13, 2017

I liked this photograph because it raises questions…mysteries…what´s the man is trying to do?…ans why is he doing this?…the background at the lower left corner is a king of distracting to me…may be from a different angle you´d get rid of the add sign…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 12, 2017
on August 13, 2017

Nice picture ! This picture show us 2 characters and a dog and suggest us that something happened. We do not know what, but the kids and the way he looks at you and he hold this head in his hand is interesting.

If you had took the head of the mother the picture could be more intense and we maybe know more about this shot or understand more ?!

Anyway, well done !

on August 13, 2017

Redid in black and white. I think I like this better:

on August 14, 2017

Oops! Let’s try again:

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 12, 2017

This is my submission for this weeks gesture assignment:

• Liked by
Cancel
5 on August 12, 2017

Gesture assignment a little late in the day, but better late than never! 

on August 13, 2017

Nice picture! I would have preferred to see the man laughing in focus instead of the deux other guys

on August 13, 2017
Another powerful gesture: that of a laugh. In juxtaposition with the sadness of the face in the background raises the quality of the photo
on August 13, 2017

wow love the layering the out of focus foreground and focus on the main subject. 

on August 13, 2017
Nice picture! I would have preferred to see the man laughing in focus instead of the deux other guysFrom vincentnogueira

i have to disagree having the person in the foreground out of focus gives it sort that contrasts. The person in foreground laughing out focus = main subject in focus and distressed expression. Check out Alex Webb  

on August 14, 2017

I agree with ehilado, it’s a good thing that the man in front is out of focus. It leads the way of looking: first you look at the man in front and then at the other two men in the back. If the man in front would be in focus, you wouldn’t look so attentively at the two other men. Nice shot with good contrast! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 13, 2017

The photo was made in Portland, Oregon. Walking home one night from work, I noticed the person exiting the convenience store. I didn’t have enough time to set up a proper shot, so this was the outcome. 

on August 13, 2017

I found this photography a great street portrait..the background is a little distracting though…but the subject itself is a strong one…it has movement as well…I relly liked it…

on August 13, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, amozeto. I actually wanted to capture the background a little more clearly. He was walking out of the 7 Eleven, and I felt the character and the setting would make the photo the way I wanted. Unfortunately my setting really over exposed the the shot. I guess that’s a down side to a lot of the snapshots. Usually the ones you want come at you when you least expect it, and vice versa. Thank you!

on August 13, 2017

nice reminds me of bruce gilden 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 13, 2017
on August 13, 2017

This image draws me in right away. Why is this guy on a swing set alone? Who is he gesturing to? Normally I would want to see a shot like this closer, but the distance seems to fit this man’s isolation. Nice composition and colors too.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on August 13, 2017
on August 14, 2017

Nice one, I like how did you get close to the action fearless of cropping out things.

on August 14, 2017

Very cool picture ! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on August 13, 2017

Taken today (Sunday) in Saigon.

on August 13, 2017

My favourite by far. Like I said on another post great photos speak for themselves, nothing more that I need to say besides magnifiqué!

on August 13, 2017

Wow, thank you very much indeed!

on August 14, 2017

This is a strong one, I really like this portrait and the pose supporting composition. Bravo!

on August 14, 2017

Great shot! Love everything about it and reminds me of Boogie’s work.

on August 14, 2017

Great portrait! Also very fitting for the “Gestures” brief

on August 14, 2017

Thank you very much guys.

LT, high praise indeed! Love Boogie’s work.

on August 14, 2017

Thumbs up !!!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 13, 2017

It was so hard to chose just one photo but an excellent challenge. It really makes you think hard about what’s most important to you in your photography…

I took this photo on the Blue Line train in Chicago one particular morning and it conjures all sorts of emotions and memories for me.  It is titled King. 

on September 6, 2017

Amazing emotion! I love how you can just barely see his eyes, but even then, you can feel that emotion, and understand a story from something you can just barely see. The chair on the left is a tad distracting, I feel that maybe if he was more towards the left axis or lower, the image would feel more complete, or convey a stronger story. But overall, amazing storytelling prowess

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 14, 2017

From my last walk in Prague. After I took this shot the ladies laughed at me and I laughed back.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 14, 2017

Here is my submission for this week, taken in Ghent (Belgium with a Ricoh GR):

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on September 6, 2017

Hey guys! Just joined, hope I did everything right!

• Liked by
Cancel