STREET CLUB Week 5: Gestures

Updated on September 6, 2017 in Critique
195 on August 8, 2017

VIDEO REVIEW FOR WEEK 5

https://youtu.be/K3TZSLHYYPU

————-

Only Two More Weeks of STREET CLUB

Photo by @elida06

Eric and I (Cindy) are so humbled by the photos, critique, and progress of everyone participating in STREET CLUB! Our dream was to create an educational platform for photographers and artists to learn from one another through giving and receiving constructive feedback and new ideas.

It’s not too late to join, just make a free account on the Eric Kim FORUM and submit to the weekly assignments.

> Check out all the previous week’s submissions and video reviews here.

Video Review & Announcement of Prizes

https://youtu.be/AjclqdrOxyA

Last week, Eric reviewed the photos from the last assignment ‘SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT’ and announced that (on behalf of HAPTIC as a thank you for your awesome work) we will award two grand prizes for submissions to STREET CLUB. We will announce the two grand prize winners in the last assignment review video (in two weeks). Submit to the next two assignments and leave constructive feedback to increase your chances of winning!

Best photo submitted during STREET CLUB will receive the limited edition VITRUVIAN CAMERA by Annette Kim.

VITRUVIAN CAMERA is ARTWEAR — to inspire yourself everyday, to pay homage to the artistic masters of the past, and to also pave your own path in photography. VITRUVIAN CAMERA is an original artwork hand sketched by Annette Kim. Inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man, Annette researched the history and science of camera design in order to produce this conceptual camera.

HAPTIC PRESS BOX – Photo by @captivatingtheunseen

Best critique submitted during STREET CLUB will receive the limited edition HAPTIC PRESS BOX.

The box includes all of our current HAPTIC PRESS books:

WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENT: GESTURES

Examples of GESTURES. Sneak peek of page from new MASTERS book.

Assignment
This week, go out and take new photos that capture gestures. Post 1 photo to this thread and leave constructive feedback on at least 3 other photos.
Purpose
Gestures in photos can convey strong emotions photography.
What is a gesture? It can be facial gestures: someone smiling, someone frowning, someone making a funny face. It can be a hand-gesture (someone slumped over a table with his/her arm covering their face, someone pointing, someone with their hands on their knees, etc). It can also be movement (someone running, blurry, arms or legs extended). Do not photograph people just walking with their hands and stiff and by their sides. If you are interacting with your subject, talk and engage with them (comment on their hair, their glasses, directions) and capture their movement as they speak.

Eric and I will be on the road working on new projects with HAPTICLABS in Japan, but we will leave a video review on Monday August 14 (Japan time).

• Liked by
  • Steef_Jordans
18 on August 8, 2017
on August 8, 2017

I like the light and the mood of this picture, as well as the colors! This gesture that everybody does from time to time.. 馃檪 What I would do differently is to place the subject somewhere close to the right side of the frame.

on August 8, 2017

Nice candid image with strong lines and colors. I like the position of the subject鈥攊t looks like he’s more helplessly flying to the unknown beyond the frame.

on August 8, 2017

I agree with Snapmode and Ryan, I would crop out the blue logo on the top and crop out the bottom a little 聽more.

on August 9, 2017

Thank you for the critiques!!聽

on August 9, 2017

I like the feeling of movement in this picture and agree with everything that was said above. (though I am with Ryan on placement of the subject)

on August 9, 2017

Liked a lot your photograph…colors are great…and expressive hand gesture…

on August 9, 2017

I like the colors a lot, yellow and blue are a powerfull combination. Also good use of the light. I would cut out the remainings of the logo, It’s a bit of a distraction.聽

on August 9, 2017

I really love this picture! the combination of the orange sunlight (what seems to be in the golden hour), the expression and gesture of the subject and the complementary color of blue and yellow creates a moody yet eye-catching picture. What I would do differently is shooting it in landscape to remove the distraction of logo and also get a better overall look of the situation. But I love this picture 馃檪 great work!

on August 10, 2017

Nice one, we can feel the same at the end of a working day. 馃槈

on August 10, 2017

Thank you all for this great critique and comments!!聽
Appreciate it!聽

on August 10, 2017

Really great image and you nailed it with the lighting and tones to perfectly match his emotion. You can truly connect with him and that soft golden light really just makes the scene powerful. I love the lines of the train and the platform but my critique would be that the top portion above the window isn’t necessary and doesn’t add to the image. I’m sure you had to take this quickly and couldn’t recompose but if you took it horizontally or stepped closer to remove that top portion that would have been the only thing I would have changed. Regardless its a great shot and love it.

on August 10, 2017

Good job !! I really like the color and line who create a strong contrast with the inside train. The inside part show a tired or desperate man who looks like lock inside is mine or something like that ! I like it !!!

on August 10, 2017

Love the colors and shadow and you can feel聽the emotion by the man gesture.聽

on August 11, 2017

really like the light and color as well as the feeling of movement, nice job!

on August 12, 2017

Color. 聽Lines. 聽Single dude in an otherwise empty frame. 聽Nice.

on August 13, 2017

Although I dont like the color palette, the gesture has strength and indicates clearly the mood of the subject

on August 13, 2017

color is beautiful, nice contract between the emotion given by person, and the bold colors

on August 13, 2017

I like this photo. As a city dweller I can relate to this man who probably has a million and one things to stress about. Compositionally I think it is boring and could be helped with a lower angle. However the colours are fantastic and bring excitement… at the expense of this poor comuter.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on August 8, 2017
on August 8, 2017

I like the gesture of the child pretending to sleep, and the other girl interacting with this her. The child on the right does not speak to me.聽
I think focusing on the two kids would have made the picture stronger in my oppinion.聽

on August 8, 2017

Nice, I think this would be better in Black and White. Composed very well, I do like the child on the right.聽

on August 9, 2017

I like the composition and the color. The position of the children seems to create a circle for me from close to far and back again.

on August 13, 2017

I love the expression of the kid ! Nice composition !

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 8, 2017
on August 8, 2017

It looks like there are a lot of gestures going on here, but it’s just too far away to see them very well. A closer shot, maybe from a lower angle, would have given us more to look at.

on August 9, 2017

Agree with Ryan to bring it closer in…perhaps you can crop this shot from the middle of the cart, discarding everything to the left to bring the shot in closer and see the expressions better

on August 14, 2017

Thank you Ryan and lisadorenfest for the critique. Indeed, some elements are bit too further away to make out some of the expressions. Cheers to taking out time for reviewing my picture.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
11 on August 8, 2017
on August 8, 2017

Nice capture! Love the black and white. Some things I can suggest is to capture the child right before she stomps on the water. This would give the audience a sense of anticipation. I would probably take a couple of steps to the right so I could crop out the store fronts on the right. The architecture in the background is much more pleasing and 聽it gives the image a more classical feel to it. Overall, very nice! 聽Keep it up!

on August 8, 2017

The bubbles are beautiful, period. That’s essential. I agree with Tom for just about everything, especially how nice it would be if the girl was in mid air (wow-awesome observation, Tom!) However, I have another suggestion about the angle. To me, it’s not so much the angle as the distance. If you were closer, I think it would highlight the little boy looking at the girl. At the moment, he is a bit lost in all the street action. But there is a story there- I’m not allowed, wish I could play, puppy love, lots of interpretations.聽

on August 9, 2017

Just wanted to say thank you to both of you, Tom Leung and Geoff for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. 聽I absolutely agree with you both on all points! It’s the first time I’ve ever had a photograph critiqued by anyone, and I appreciate it very much. 聽Thank you Tom, and thank you Geoff 馃檪 聽

on August 9, 2017

What Tom and Geoff said….additionally, I thought that this image could benefit with some post-process vignetting to draw the attention to the boy, girl, and bubble-man in the center of the shot.聽

on August 9, 2017

Thank you lisadorenfest, I appreciate you taking the time to look 馃檪

on August 9, 2017

Great shot…reflections…movements…the only minor negative aspect of it, in my modest oppinion, is the busy background…

on August 10, 2017

I have really enjoyed your work in this course and this one is tops. The lighting, the gesture, the smile are just terrific. The title that came to mind when I saw this was ‘Becoming’. Your colorful Brazilian girl is delightful as well.

on August 10, 2017

Apologies Geoff and Cindy, the comment above was meant for @amozeto

on August 10, 2017

Thanks indeed, lisadorenfest !!!

on August 10, 2017

Nice shot and really like the sense of energy plus the sense of play and enjoyment with the girl jumping. Agree with some of the earlier comments that some vignetting would really step the image up more and also聽trying to catch the girl in聽some other actions such as interacting with a bubble or聽as she jumps up. Great shot though and really like it.聽

on August 10, 2017

Hi LTVisions, thank you for your comment! And thank you for looking:) Unfortunately, vignetting is not my kind of thing, I like everything to look as real as possible. 聽I wish I’d got more shots too btw, I did get a few but this was my favourite, if I was still using digital I probably would have taken a lot more, but I’m shooting film only now, and I run out of film quicker than I’d like!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
14 on August 8, 2017

That one was captured in Berlin, Oranienstrasse. I was standing at the stairs leading to the train station above street level. I found an interesting background and then waited for someone to fill the frame. This particular man refused with his gesture to be a part of my shot 馃槈

on August 8, 2017

Like the picture! Love the gesture and the colors!聽
Would have loved to see the frame filled more with the subkect.聽
Great shot!!

on August 8, 2017

I like the ambiguity of his gesture, and the lines that frame the hand. Really like the way his face is mostly hidden too. And nice colors 馃檪

on August 9, 2017

I adore this shot. It has inspired me to try to shoot from a different perspective.I love the placement of the hand, the shadows on the face and聽the way you bring us closer to the subject. Plus the colors are perfect as his jacket matches the building!

on August 9, 2017

I agree with previous comments to your shot…I mostly liked the mystery of the hidden face…congrats !!!

on August 9, 2017

I am indeed flattered! thank you

on August 10, 2017

I really like this one, nice composition too, the handrails are leading straight to the hand. 馃槈

on August 10, 2017

Strong shot man ! Very powerful image .聽

on August 10, 2017

nice either he is about to give a high聽five or a slap in the face. 聽馃檪

on August 11, 2017

Great shot, colors, light, and the way his hand and thumb is in line with the center of the window on the right, love it!

on August 12, 2017

Nice shot. 聽I like how the saturation of color in the subject is what sets it out from the muted tones in the background. 聽Very cool

on August 12, 2017

very nice capture and the gesture conveys a strong message! keep it up! cheers!

on August 13, 2017

I like the hand at the middle of the frame and the face on the edge.

on August 14, 2017

Agree with the other replies, great composition and colors, the gesture is also interesting. Great shot!

on August 14, 2017

Thank you once again, I really didn’t expect such a warm critique 馃檪

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on August 8, 2017

Chinatown, NYC

on August 9, 2017

Love the subject and framing. Would like to see the upper right-hand corner of the image darkened a bit.

on August 9, 2017

I’m not the biggest fan of multiple exposures, I see a lot of work blended together without much sense attached to it – just made like that in order to create more depth and layers. Then the image very often becomes cluttered. But this one actually works pretty well! The lines from the metal rolling gate, the lines of the road, the grit of the street. All that with the subject very well placed, well done !

The bag actually adds a whole lot to the picture, I’m simply wondering what is inside of it 馃檪

on August 10, 2017

I am not a big fan either of multiple exposures….sometimes it works fairly well…but I confess that’s a rare case…In the present case of this photo I am sure it will benefit a lot if you have made it from a lower angle…it also would be nice to be able to read what is written on the plastic bag…

on August 10, 2017

Interesting picture ! You show us different line on the image who can tell us the attitude of the man standing on the street…

on August 11, 2017

I wouldn’t change a thing about this photograph, I personally feel that if a photo works, it works. I like the beauty and serenity of your work. It tells a story to whoever stops to listen, but without words to cloud it.

on August 13, 2017

I would have loved to see just the image of the man holding the bag. That angle really does the photo justice but I have to agree with the others, it was ruined by the double exposure.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on August 8, 2017
on August 9, 2017

Wonderful expression and sense of movement. Great timing.

on August 9, 2017

Great capture of a great moment…liked a lot the woman expression on her hands and mainly in her eyes…thanks for sharing.

on August 9, 2017

great shot!! like the motion and the emotion in this picture.聽
It doesn’t even bother that it’s shot in a dutch angle. Nice shot!

on August 9, 2017

What I really like is the expression of the girl in the shot. From the gesture we can think if she just won the game or messed up really bad 馃槈 I think the dutch angle is reasonable here, I don’t see anything interesting going in the corners of the frame. Good job 馃檪

on August 9, 2017

A wonderful moment captured with great timing. I like the movement shown through the image and the contrast shown by maybe the use of flash. Great picture 馃檪

on August 10, 2017

Awesome shot and you nailed it capturing a gesture that drives home her emotion. Smiled instantly as I looked at it and felt like I was there laughing with her. Looks like she just hit a ball off the table or lost the game for her partner, ha. Also really like the slow shutter speed for blur around her to totally isolate her. Love it and gained some inspiration to try out adding some movement like this myself so thanks!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on August 8, 2017
on August 8, 2017

Thanks Allen for your post–could you only choose one photo to post for this week’s submission?

on August 10, 2017

Some how the 3rd image catches聽my eye. Pictures very well layered and filling up the whole frame

on August 11, 2017

Thanks Allen for your post–could you only choose one photo to post for this week’s submission?

From Cindy Nguyen

Ok,i choose the 3rd one, thank you.

on August 11, 2017

Photo three is lovely, I like this a lot!

on August 12, 2017

It looks alittle too close imo. Could of shown the whole head or body.

on August 12, 2017

Good picture though

on August 12, 2017

Love love love. Great tone, atmosphere, and the whole frame is filled. Good job!聽

on August 13, 2017

My favorite shot of Week 5, so far. I’m a big fan of the tone and composition. Looks like a difficult event to not over-crowd the frame. Could be a little better had you shift a little left, capturing the main figures’ sticks not clipping through the man in the background layer. Regardless, great moment. Wish I had made it.聽

on August 13, 2017

Beautiful. Don’t really have anything else to say, a good photograph speaks for itself.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on August 9, 2017

Here is my modest contribution to this assignment…

Photograph tittle: Shy Girl. Downtown S茫o Carlos, SP. Brasil.

on August 9, 2017

Nice picture!聽
I like the back lit hand, and that you can just see the smile on her face.聽
If it was me, I would zoom out just a little bit so you could see her whole head.聽
Great picture!聽

on August 9, 2017

Thank you Steef_Jordans!!!

on August 9, 2017

Great shot! Love the lighting! Personally, I don’t mind not seeing the whole head because I’m so drawn to the hand. I know this may sound petty, but I am wondering about a differnt title, without the word “Shy”. The cheek bone depicts her smiling, her smooth hands show her youth, her painted, squared off nails indicate care for appearance/style. We know a lot, but the title pigeon-holes her emotion for us. 聽Without the word shy, is she being modest? Coy? Flirtatious? Is she embarrassed of her teeth? Surprised? Laughing at a joke? 聽Not knowing would make me want to look at the picture more closely. “Shy Girl” takes some of the mystery out of this wonderful shot. How about just “Brazilian Girl” or something? I know: this is such minor thing, but I like this picture so much, it’s hard for me to find anything else to critique.聽

on August 9, 2017

Beaultiful words, Geoff !…thanks so much…Nice your discussion on the shot’s tittle…liked indeed…this tittle I gave to this right away after making it because I interected with this girl and it was very apparent that she was a shy person….she even told me that…the shot was made at a particular moment of our conversation that she did want me to make a picture of her….only when I showed her the shot that she agreeded that she was looking good and threfeore consented that I could keep it…but a tittle as “Brazilian Girl” as you suggested is no bad at all…

But, “Brazilian Girl” to me – at least, as my portraits of “Brazilian Women” are concerned – may be best represented, for example, by this one that I share below…聽

on August 10, 2017

I have really enjoyed your work in this course and this one is tops. The lighting, the gesture, the smile are just terrific. The title that came to mind when I saw this was 鈥楤ecoming鈥. Your colorful Brazilian girl is delightful as well.

on August 10, 2017

Thanks indeed, lisadorenfest !!!…positive thinking comments like those of yours help to keep us going and growing in this poetic, beaultiful but complex art which is photography!!!

on August 13, 2017

Very fun photo. The close-up makes it.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on August 9, 2017
on August 10, 2017

Great shadows and perspective Vicki. The shadow almost feels like a reflection

on August 10, 2017

Thanks so much Lisa!

on August 10, 2017

Nice shot, I like the shadow. For me, it would have been a better photo if you left more space around him. Giving him the freedom to tennis around. Still, good photo.聽

on August 10, 2017

Thank you NikH for your feedback!

on August 10, 2017

I agree about the shadow looking like a reflection. It also reads like one strange creature with two racquets, which is cool. Nice change in perspective, and choosing to freeze a gesture that’s usually way too fast to see in real life.

on August 12, 2017

i love how the shadow mirrored the subject and if the shadow of the ball is in the frame as well it would be a more powerdul image.

on August 13, 2017

Thanks for the feedback Ryan and Nennel, Appreciate it. Nennel, I have a few shots where I have the ball on the raquet and the ball in mid air 聽but somehow, I thought this was the best of the lot, maybe I need to have a second look 聽:/

on August 13, 2017

As a player myself this one really makes me happy. The high angle, the fantastic shadow. Sports images are a combination of luck and finesse and you got it. I’m curious how you got that angle?

on August 13, 2017

Thanks for the critique Pricilla! I was standing above on a staircase while he was using a tennis trainer below me , At first I saw his reflection in my neighbor’s window and thought I could get it that way but I was too far away 馃檪聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 9, 2017

Soldier (Hong Kong, 2017)

on August 10, 2017

Nice portrait, I think it’s a sort of “implied gesture” (of course I don’t mean to be disrespectful), I like it! 馃槈

on August 10, 2017

Great subject(s)…the man and his tattooed lady… Well captured although you might want to bring the frame down slightly or come in a bit closer to lose the top.

on August 11, 2017

I really like this, and it’s nicely taken too.

on August 12, 2017

Very nice! Love everything about this shot!聽

on August 13, 2017

Awesome subject. I like his style, his glasses, and his tattoo. Obviously his arm is a key. Would be nice to have composed his other arm fully in the frame, making the photo more distinct. (one full arm, and one half arm). Of course the watch would have been a nice little touch.聽

on August 13, 2017

love this

on August 13, 2017

Not sure how well it fits the ‘gesture,’ idea BUT I love this portrait. I would like to see a little more vignette, but I am a vignette whore, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Very very nice shot.聽

on August 13, 2017

Oh man this one tells a story. Nice portrait I’m sure this gentleman and his family would love to have.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on August 10, 2017

Milan, Aug 9th, 2017.

on August 10, 2017

I gasped when I saw this …really like the slight downward angle of overall image …it accentuates the downward angle of the subject’s head and depend the depressed mood in the photo.

on August 10, 2017

Nice image! The exposure and contrast fit the mood, and the two people are making gestures that can be read in different ways. Bonus points for the gestures going on in the poster!

on August 12, 2017

I’m going to echo what Ryan said aside from the comment about the second person. I am of the opinion that it would be a stronger image if both of them were more fully in the picture, or the 2nd dude were obscured behind the other one (so you could see the shadow but not the person). 聽Really cool feel to it overall.

on August 13, 2017

The drama here, I love it! The cheeky shadows of the two men really help fill the photo. Although the focal point is the men – especially the one in the foreground- I don’t think the photo would look as good without them. You lucked out on the sun being where it was. It gives them a great highlight against the dark graffiti and of course cast those shadows.聽

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on August 10, 2017

Hi everybody. I just joined. Nice to meet you all. I’m Barry and live in Mallorca, Spain and I just got my first camera, a little Panasonic GX85. I’ve enjoyed browsing your posts and reading all of Eric’s wisdom. Anyway, here’s the lady in the local tobacco shop on the square in our town. A friendly request if I could take a photo was met by this gesture.

on August 10, 2017

Welcome to the virtual classroom! Love the laughter and the resulting head tilt in this image. And that hand gesture is awesome…is she laughing or getting ready to attack :-). I shoot with a Panasonic LUMIX GX8 and love it.

on August 10, 2017

great Capture of expression – its amazing how close you got to the subject – image is sharp聽

on August 10, 2017

Thanks. I was close because I was buying cigarettes. She needed me as much as I needed her! PS I just gave up smoking! She’ll kill me.

on August 10, 2017

And looking back,I’d do less bokeh background in order to show the context. Bokeh is overrated. I`my a 5.6 minimum guy from now on

on August 11, 2017

Great capture!, jesture and expression make me smile 馃檪聽

on August 13, 2017

Nice expression and the hand gesture is the cherry on the top.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 10, 2017

Hi to all , I mostly shoot when i am Traveling to work – Recently captured this聽

• Liked by
Cancel
7 on August 10, 2017

Not an easy assignment but a fun one! Here it goes: a photo I took yesterday. I photographed the girl on purpose from behind because I wanted the colors from the backpack in my picture. For me the colors of the backpack go well with those from the bubble. I also think (maybe I’m wrong), that if you don’t see her face, you focus more on her gestures.

on August 10, 2017

This is a beautiful moment, and your idea to get the bubbles on the backpack was great. The gestures are great too, and really capture the mood of what’s going on.

I think it would make all the difference if you cropped the left side out of the image. The taller, narrower result would emphasize the girl’s jump and focus everything on the two subjects. Would you consider showing us what it would look like cropped, maybe below in a reply to my comment?

on August 10, 2017

I love this picture, and think you were very smart to shoot from the back. I think Ryan is right that the pic could be simplified. I love the colours and the fact you caught the girl in the air. I know this would be so hard to do, but I keep wondering what this pic would be like if you were down on the ground shooting up- capturing the whole bubble, her jump, lots of sky, but not capturing so much of the people and street behind. I myself would be hard-pressed and somewhat embarrassed to shoot from the ground in a public place like this- so hard, but I think the results might be amazing.聽

on August 11, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. RyanPSt, you are right about the cropping. I’ve just cropped the photo more at the left and it’s better. Thanks! 聽Geoff, I understand what you mean and I can imagine how the photo would be like f I had shot the photo from the ground. When I took this picture, I was already kneeling down. I was not up to really facing the ground. It all went so fast and it was at the city center of Bruges (so crowded). I will keep it in mind for the next time (when I’m feeling more confident and less looked at).

on August 11, 2017
on August 11, 2017

Wow, nice! More focused now. I also love how the diagonals at the top of the image interact with the edges of the bubble.

on August 12, 2017

I agree this is a more interesting image than the first one and i love that you did it with color. Cheers!

on August 13, 2017

I like the gesture of the child that tries to catch the bubble, nice photo.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 10, 2017

Hi !

I took this picture in Tokyo_Japan in the photographer’s bar – Shinjuku Golden Gai.聽

on August 11, 2017

I really like the hands in the photo, they form a strong focus point. Did the man (or woman?) say anything after you took the photo? It’s obvious that he did not want his picture taken.聽

on August 12, 2017

Here is the story of this picture :聽

In this same bar, Daido Moriyama took a picture of a woman who put her hand (only one) to try to catch herself. And this picture was on the wall of this bar.聽

At the beginning i did not realize what the woman, who worked in the bar, did. I thought she wouldn’t be on the picture. I thought she tried to hide herself. In fact, i was wrong and i realized it few seconds after i took the pictures. The woman tried to do the same pose of the woman on the picture from Daido Moriyama. Maybe it was the same woman … i do not know.

on August 13, 2017

I think the story really makes this photo great (a little moriyama hat tip). I have yet been to Golden Gai, so any photo in this district is compelling to me. I love the hands of the woman and the tone of of the photo. It looks like a really fun moment, discovering relics of Moriyama and interacting in the same places he did, following his footsteps.

on August 13, 2017

Akira : it was a intense moment and even more enjoyable when i realized what’s happened.聽

on August 13, 2017
Although it is a gesture of rejection, it is a great example of the great strength of the hands
on August 13, 2017

Like this a lot (and love that bar. Have some weird stories from that bar haha.)

Really like the pattern her fingers make and there’s a definite energy to this.聽

on August 14, 2017

Story or no story, I really like your shot. Good job!

on August 14, 2017

Luis Alvarez Marra : Thank you !聽

Ryan Neilan : There are definitely weird stories from that bar !

NIKH : True story ! Thanks !

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 10, 2017

I couldn’t resist 馃檪 took this picture in good old DTLA

on August 12, 2017

just very yes. 聽lots of things happening, but all of them are sort of next to one another. 聽The only thing that you could do (also low-hanging fruit) would be to level the line at the base of the doors by rotating the picture.

on August 14, 2017

Fun image, but straightening the image and getting closer would make it stronger I think.

on September 6, 2017

I’m not too sure about the statue, although the contrast is kind of cool. It’s almost as if you’re comparing the man with the binder between his legs to the statue. For me, the story element is there, but I’m finding the delivery a bit lacking. Also, it might help if you straighten the image with respect to the pillar, that might give it a different effect. Fun story though!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 11, 2017

Hello everyone!

This is what I got聽

on September 6, 2017

Love his facial expression and the lighting you got for this photo! I feel that this is aspect ratio is kinda weird, but it does do a good job focusing on him as the subject, and moving your eye away from the cluttered background. The metal plate or mirror behind is head is a tad distracting though. Personally, I would like to see the subject moved closer to the right axis. Otherwise, I think this is an amazing shot, everything’s sharp and crisp, you can see the age and the years in his eyes!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 11, 2017
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 11, 2017
on August 12, 2017

Thanks @Brijesh for your enthusiasm. For Street Club assignment, please only submit one photo (I liked your first submission above). If you would like to submit other photos for critique and feedback, submit it to the ‘keep/ditch’ thread. Thanks Brijesh!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel