STREET CLUB WEEK 4: SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT (SIMPLIFY)

Updated on August 8, 2017 in Critique
81 on July 24, 2017

VIDEO REVIEW:

https://youtu.be/AjclqdrOxyA

**Update — Eric and I will let this assignment run on for one more week to give people the chance to practice the assignment. We believe that it is a challenging assignment, and it will push you to practice ‘working the scene’ and taking many shots with different compositions (such as closer, focused on one subject or detail). Eric will post up a video review on Sunday August 6 (Vietnam time).

If you have already completed the assignment, remember to leave feedback on other’s post or start a new thread in the forum on what your biggest challenges are questions are in photography.

Dear friends,

Great job so far on submissions and critique for STREETCLUB! Eric and I have really enjoyed seeing the photos and the active discussion. Our dream for STREETCLUB is to

1) encourage you to shoot, experiment, and learn and

2) learn from others by providing and receiving constructive feedback. (Each photo you upload, leave constructive feedback for three other photos).

We are at the one month mark and are excited to keep this up and see what everyone comes up with! If you have any suggestions or ideas for STREETCLUB, leave them below!

This week’s assignment will be a little different. Follow the assignment to “SUBTRACT/SIMPLIFY” a scene and then upload 3 photos of you working the same scene. Pick your final best photo from this set. The purpose here is to encourage you to continue working the same scene and ‘subtract/simplify’ it and to show others how you approached shooting the scene and simplifying it.

Remember to upload it by Sunday (Vietnam time) and Eric will share his time, perspectives, and wisdom through a video critique of the submissions 🙂

Keep shooting,

Cindy

ASSIGNMENT 4: SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT

Assignment
Start off with a photographic scene you are interested in, and continue to subtract from the frame, until you (almost) have nothing left.

Purpose
We need to work to remove distractions from your frame. The point of the assignment is to try to figure out how much you can subtract from the scene and really capture the essence of the scene. There is a lot of “noise” in photography (elements that don’t add to a scene). Rather, try to find the “signal” (the elements which are interesting) When you’re shooting a street photograph, what do you really find interesting? Focus on the details. Subtract the rest.

***CLARIFICATION for the assignment:

Sorry for the confusion everyone. The goal this week is to focus on the method of ‘simplifying or subtracting’. Thus, focus on one scene, take multiple different shots and approaches to the scene with each shot simplifying the scene. Upload 3 images from that same scene here and label your favorite shot.

This assignment encourages you to work the scene, simplify your image and find the core components, and practice editing (choosing) your best shots.

Example:

#1. Spotted the scene

#2. Recomposed by moving closer and focusing on central subject (shopkeeper)

#3. Best – Moved even closer and focused on the mannequin and interaction with the shop owner

• Liked by
9 on July 25, 2017

Hi Cindy and Eric, 

This is a tough one ! Because we always can subtract elements even on the simplest photography. So thank you for this challenge !!

Here is my three pictures for this assignment : 

1st : Smokin’

2nd : The Meeting

3rd : Rio Street

on July 26, 2017

Awesome shots Vincent! I like frames #2 and #3 the most. Frame no 3 is really cool, I like the red from the coke bottle standing out, and the cool hand gesture. The background also adds to the photograph. A definite keeper! Although, shouldn’t it be 3 shots of the same scene? 🙂

on July 26, 2017

Great images Vincent–particularly love #3. Could you share a few more images of the same scene that show you working the scene and ‘subtracting/simplifying’ the scene?

on July 29, 2017

Hello Cindy. Thank you for your answer. I am actually in vacations and unfortunatly I can not reach my pictures.

on July 29, 2017

Make new ones ! That should be load of fun 🙂

on July 29, 2017

I adore the first photo but all three are really good. 

on July 31, 2017

love the angle on the 3rd image but do you have the uncropped version?

on July 31, 2017

The #3, i only have one picture. It was a one shoot. I suppose i was wrong on the ASSIGNMENT 4: SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT, SUBTRACT. 

So, i propose these new pictures : 

#3 : The final one.

on July 31, 2017

I really like the grittiness of the third! 

on August 1, 2017

: thank you for your comments !! 

: it’s an un cropped version. The only one i made (with the Ricoh GR 2). 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 25, 2017

Hi Eric,

I’m a big fan of you’re doing for street photography. You make it accessible for every one.

Here are my 3 photos

Photo 1: Up in the air

Photo 2: Chilling

Photo 3: In Good compagny and wine

on July 26, 2017

Great job ! I particularly like the open story that #2 could tell. Could you share a few more images of the same scene that show you working the scene and ‘subtracting/simplifying’ the scene?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 25, 2017

on July 26, 2017

Hi there Ed! For me #1 the eye contact and gesture makes me linger on the photo some more. Could you share a few more images of the same scene that show you working the scene and ‘subtracting/simplifying’ the scene? Thanks!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 26, 2017

This is my photo for the assignment this week taken last pride parade here in Toronto.

I saw this couple that is very intimate during the parade and I quickly took a photo of them.

quick snap

This photo is almost good enough but it doesn;t highlight both of their emotions

final:

on July 29, 2017

I agree with the third showing the emotion better. Really like that shot. I also like the fact that the people in the back do seem rather somber. It’s a nice contrast with the couple. Too bad parts of the Tim Horton sign enter into the pic- I wonder if a slightly different angle could have gotten rid of that? Wonderful colour in all. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 27, 2017

I’m sort of creating a sequence or a story

• Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 27, 2017

Hi Eric and Cindy,

I am very thankful and excited for this opportunity to learn more about street photography through this forum (even though I am 4 weeks late). I am a fan of yours from Indonesia but currently am a university student in Hong Kong. I recently just bought my very own camera (a Pentax K1000 SLR) and I just started to learn more about photography.

From a few weeks of shooting, I can say that I am more drawn to take street/street portraits. I hope you can give me constructive criticism to help me improve my works 🙂 So here are the photos of this weeks assignment

I saw this father walking his baby by the seaside and I took a picture of the scene. Afterwards I just started talking with the guy and asked if I could took more portrait of him and the baby and I try to subtract and work the scene after he agreed

This is the final picture and I liked the composition here better when I subtract the other factors (even though I could not see the picture before developing it)

Here are just the other pictures that I took, trying to subtract the background

Sincerely,

Kharis

p.s. sorry for the long post 

on July 29, 2017

Great succession of working the scene, you are left with nothing left but the subjects, successfully removed distracting background and a pole behind their back as well. I like it very much 🙂

on July 29, 2017

Agree with @snapmode. And intimacy seems to be my word of the day here. I love how the third image gives us a sense of the love and trust between father and son. Well done!

on July 30, 2017

The first 3 photographs are great and I am sure you have accomplished the assignment in a great way…the 3rd one is a superb shot…congratulations…

on July 30, 2017

Agree with everyone. The third photo is so touching, and the smiley face t-shirt is icing on the cake!

on July 31, 2017

Great, great, great job working that first scene! Just like everyone else said you caught a nice moment but after working it and simplifying the scene you really captured the father son love and his innocence through his eyes. Excellent work and love the shot.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 27, 2017

on July 29, 2017

@hugues which of the scene is final one?

on July 30, 2017

I also think the final scene is missing….but I really liked your photographs…the facial expression of the woman is great…great contrast too…

on August 2, 2017

not really sure i understand that assignment of the week, i thought that the final pic as the third one , thanks for your consideration .

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 27, 2017

as for me, it’s not a good thing to practice like that, if you give your camera to a monkey he will take plenty shots and get the shot too…

• Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 28, 2017

This scene was already full of information and noise, as you can see below I was trying to minimize that clutter and put more attention to the subject. When I was working the scene, I noticed interesting painted advertisement on the wall in the background. I decided to juxtapose the man looking for food and something valuable against the Health & Happiness sign…

In general i’m against the idea of shooting beggars and homeless people. But I like the message and the colors of the scene. 

Shot in Mumbai, Dharavi district

Scene #1:

Scene #2: 

Final scene #3:

Take care streetogs 🙂

on July 28, 2017

Hi , I love these… I love the surrealism of the 3rd capture ( without his head) , the health and happiness sign makes this a pretty powerful social statement! II think you captured what this assignment was all about, well done!

on July 29, 2017

Poignant, stark, vivid. I actually love both the 2nd and third for the way their intimacy and candor.  

on July 30, 2017

I guess you have accomplished the mission of this assignment…nice photographs…great colours and you really tell a story with this 3 shots…my preferred photograph is the second one because of the presence of the boy at the scene and the way he looks to you…so tender…so lovely…I guess he wanted to chat with you…did you talked to him?

on July 31, 2017

Great job working the scene and composing him with the sign to make a powerful image. Excellent thought process to take in the scene and work with the elements you were drawn too to make the image you envisioned.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 28, 2017

on August 1, 2017

It’s such a charming, playful surprise when you stumble across an outdoor public piano, but it’s so hard to capture that feeling! I have come across two of them this summer, tried to shoot them, and have failed miserably when trying to capture the sense of wonder I felt when I saw them.

In light of having trouble with shots like this myself, I have been trying to think of suggestions for this particular piano and wondered about getting even closer. The painted eyes are so wonderful. Maybe just one of them is needed. And if you got closer, some of the keys tell a story because they are dirty, but a bit cleaner in the middle where fingers have played them. It’s kind of hard to explain. I am super reluctant to post an altered photo of someone else’s picture, so I hope you don’t mind that I did a quick crop of the first picture to show you what I was thinking: 

on August 3, 2017

Hi Geoff! Thank you for your feedback, appreciate it!  I went several times to this scene to capture exactly what you’re talking about. No, I don’t mind, tha’ts what we are here for, to learn from each other, right? 🙂 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 28, 2017
on July 29, 2017

Your third shot is excellent. The composition, clarity, color…if could be a magazine advertisement for Coca-Cola – ‘all the cool kids are drinking it’

on July 30, 2017

Really Like the 2nd shot, Love the expression and jesture of the mother!

on July 31, 2017

Think the second shot was awesome too. Like how you have the various expressions. For the simplify exercise it would have been nice to isolate the image to just the kid and his food but I know how difficult it can be shooting kids and you have to use your discretion but regardless you really made a nice image.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 29, 2017

Sorry to have missed last week’s lesson and to be late for this one…I’ve been traveling. 

For week 4, I share three images. I spied the scene while walking the streets of Siem Reap yesterday and snapped image 1. I decided to move in closer to get a more intimate shot (#2). The woman laughed in amusement at my interest in taking her photograph. Sadly, the dog was in the way as were several shoes. I waited for the dog to walk out of the picture and moved in slightly to eliminate most of the shoes and then snapped image 3. Admittedly, one shoe remained so I spot removed it in LightRoom 😁.

I liked how this exercise forced me to move closer and seek to simplify my capture.  But I was also happy with the first image

Scene 1

Scene 2

Scene 3

on July 29, 2017

I love these shots. I sort of like the expressions in the 2nd picture better- too bad that dog was there! The expressions in the third are lovely and made so much stronger by simplifying the background!

on July 31, 2017

Excellent job getting closer and working the scene. Also think the second image is the best and just love her laughing with that natural emotion. Great photo!

on August 1, 2017

Well done ! Interesting shot. Maybe the third pictures is too burn in the back of the lady.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 29, 2017

I found this one really tough. By working the scene, people became more and more self aware, self conscious. It was a real struggle to get more natural poses. 

1) identifying the scene:

2) Narrowing it down to the girl, a bit of background “noise” on the left:

3) simplified:

on July 29, 2017

I think that the last two are both excellent. Different moods, both good. Shadowing is wonderful.

on July 30, 2017

Good job, the last one is my favorite, the light and experssion are great!

on July 31, 2017

Nice work and agree the last two are great. Really liked the composition and lighting of the second one and would’ve been cool to catch her expression on the third one in that composition.

on July 31, 2017

shot from the hip?

on August 1, 2017

shot with the camera around my neck, looking down into the viewscreen. Is this angle  impacting the shot, do you think? 

on August 1, 2017

Nice pictures. I prefer the second ! 

on August 3, 2017

Great job you have done here…I liked the 3 pics specially because of the shadows and perfect (defined and sharp) contrasts…congrats…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 29, 2017

Since I was absent last week (have been traveling and find it takes me a few days to get my arms / lens around a new city).  I took these in Siem Reap this week. In this scene, a monk is giving blessings in a local temple. I take the first photo as it is happening. I then ask permission to take a few more photos. I then tell the monk that I would also like a blessing, but rather than a blessing for a long life (she has been giving blessings for a 100 years life) I want a blessing for a good life. That got a laugh out of her. I snapped a few more photos and was on my way.

Scene 1

Scene 2

Scene 3

PS – I gave this course a shout out on my latest blog post. Thank you for all that you are doing here. 

on July 30, 2017

I could really feel the warmth of this man’s personality come through in these images. The second and third especially. Good job.

on July 30, 2017

I liked the 3 shots !…but the 3rd one is very expressive..all of them have great colors and I found them great…thanks for sharing…

on July 30, 2017

these are great Lisa! Really love the last one!

on July 31, 2017

Love them all and great capture of his laugh on the third.

on July 31, 2017

love all 3 sequence 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 30, 2017

Hi Eric & Cindy…and everyone of the Forum, as well…There is one thing that I would like to say (and ask oppinions): in trying to make shots for this assignment I came across with one strong doubt which is: subtracting from the frame can be achieved by making shots with different focal lenghts (or taking steps back and forward, obviously), but my wonder is if this the correct way of doing it…I also tryied changing the perspective without much success…I would appreciate to get your comments on that… 

on July 31, 2017

Hi there Amozeto– Yes I would agree that there are a lot of ways of ‘subtracting’ from a scene. Taking steps closer and back as you said, but also looking around (up, down, left, right), waiting, and focusing on certain details of the scene. Sometimes we know in our gut that there is something interesting in the scene, so taking a moment to take a closer look can help push you to change the perspective and simplify the scene.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 31, 2017

Hi Cindy & Eric…I did not notice that the 4th assignment was extended to one more week…therefore I would appreciate if you could remove the 3 photos that I submitted because I want to submitt new ones…I want to have a chance to submitt better shots that I´ll be making this week…thanks…antonio

on July 31, 2017

I liked seeing the behind the scenes of your shots and thought process. You can feel free to upload three additional photos–or I could still remove the three photos if you prefer.

on July 31, 2017

Thank you, Cindy, for your comments…but I’d prefer removing these shots…I’ll try to meke better pictures and will re-upload…so, remove them, please…antonio

on August 1, 2017

You got it antonio!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 31, 2017

this is my second submission 

on July 31, 2017

Hi everyone!

Very nice to hear that we got one more week.

This assignment was by far one of the hardest I’ve done.

Here are my 3

on August 1, 2017

i like the pictures, Very well implemented! 

on August 3, 2017

I really liked your 3rd shot…it makes us wonder what (the woman) is thinking at the moment…but, it seems to me that the 1st and 2nd shots are note part of the same scene…is that really the case?…thanks for sharing…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 31, 2017

– I love the way that we are sharing a moment with this woman in the picture and the way our eyes are drawn with hers to the city below.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 31, 2017

– The second shot with the character in the hat is excellent.  

on August 1, 2017

The 3rd one is really good ! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 1, 2017

Here are my 50 Cents:

1#

2#

3#

• Liked by
Cancel