STREET CLUB WEEK 3: CLEAN BACKGROUND

Updated on August 10, 2017 in Critique
1 on July 20, 2017

I love the mood! Playful innocence. The sticks and the shadows are aresome! 

on July 20, 2017

Oops! That ” mood” message was meant for RyanPSt! 

But here is one for Helio. Helio, at first glance, I liked the window picture the best- the strong black and white are very eyecatching, and the dude in the window is so full of character. Nice placement of the hand. What’s he looking at?

But I keep going back to the dog. I’m not sure why. The old dog looks hot, fed, cared for, but in a place like Mexico. Old dogs are cared for. No collar. Brindle like the rock. Laying in the square. It just appeals to me. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 20, 2017
on July 21, 2017

Nice colors. I really like how the kid’s mohawk is mirrored by the shape of the lattice next to his head. Were these shot from the hip?

on July 21, 2017

Sort of fro the hip: from the lap. There was a bench in front of each of those two backdrops. I sat with my camera in my lap, and looked down into the viewfinder. Funny. I didn’t think I was  being discrete about the fact I was taking pictures, but no one even glanced my way. 

on July 22, 2017

Great colours. Mohawk kid is great, but I really like the third one. Her trouser/hair combo are great and coupled with the background is a good combo.

Only thing for me is that sheis slightly blurred, but there are any great photos that also don’t have tack sharp subjects.

Nice job!  

on July 22, 2017

Thanks. I’m super happy to be here. Something strange happened during this exercise. While concentrating so hard on simple backgrounds, I became attuned to more complicated, layered scenes. Sort of the opposite intent. Did this happen to anyone else? Here is an example: 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 21, 2017

Hi everyone! Great job so far, just a few reminders to
1) leave constructive feedback for three others for each img you upload. (great detailed feedback so far!)
2) all street club assignments are an opportunity to go out and shoot new photos during the week and to challenge yourself
3) upload your photos before Sunday and Eric will do a YouTube video review!

• Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 21, 2017
on July 21, 2017

edit: these photos didn’t appear

on July 22, 2017

This is a good exercise and it’s certainly a good trick to just find a nice “frame” and let people walk into it. Normally, I don’t shoot black and white but I thought it worked for these. 

on July 22, 2017

I really like the first photo. At first, I thought it was light on her back causing the contrast, but I think her outfit and hair might be multicoloured. Love the sense of movement. Pretty cool. 

on July 22, 2017

The first one but more Close 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 22, 2017

I like the movement of the woman, as expressed by her hair, against the background in the first photo.

on July 22, 2017

Love the third photo. Her hair is aces. A great moment to capture. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 22, 2017

just for fun: when the background is cleaner than the subject

on July 22, 2017

First photo all the way for me. That woman has this sassy attitude about her that says don’t f* with me. It fits the graffiti in the background. The guy in though, just looks a bit bewildered. Although I like the contrast between these two characters, I think it would be awesome if the dude happened to be flipping you the bird. 

on July 22, 2017

Thank you for your considaration Geoff .

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 22, 2017

I have to say doing this week’s assignment was eye-opening. It was really fun to pick a “clean” background and wait for a subject—as Eric mentioned, pretty much the opposite of what I usually do. Although I still really like working a busier background into my photos, this exercise definitely taught me a lot about the power of simplicity. Now I’ll keep my eye out to take advantage of clean backgrounds when I can.

on July 23, 2017

Spotted this guy with his great hat and demeanor and asked him for his portrait. There was a nice gallery around the street that I knew he’d look great in front of so thanks to this challenge I had the push to ask him to pose over there rather than just where he was standing like I usually would settle for. So thanks for that! This was taken in Province Town, MA which is a big beach/boating area so I felt placing him here kept a clean simple background yet still told where the image was from.

on July 24, 2017

I really love the escalator picture. The contrast and clarity are great. The subject also stands out against the anxiety of the scene.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 23, 2017
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 23, 2017

I wish you all a great week

on July 24, 2017

Nice work Ed and especially love the whole scene of that last image.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 24, 2017
on July 24, 2017

Great job everyone!  Here is Eric’s review of images. Continue on to next week’s assignment “Subtract, Subtract, Subtract” or feel free to keep sharing posts here.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 24, 2017
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 27, 2017

Hello there guys and gals, I know it is already late, but this is my interpretation of last week task. I decided to go with a clean background, but I really like the line which the wooden footbridge adds. 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 10, 2017

a clean background 🙂 what do you guys think.

I have loads more on my blog 🙂 http://hobotographer.com

• Liked by
Cancel