STREET CLUB WEEK 2: 10 No’s

Updated on October 18, 2017 in Critique
103 on July 9, 2017

Each weekend, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes? Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday (Vietnam time), Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy & Eric

P.S. Since we’re just starting off STREET CLUB, we thought it would be good for everyone to get another week of working on taking photos and asking people for permission to build up confidence talking to strangers.

2. TEN NO’S ASSIGNMENT
Ask people permission to take their portrait and you will try to purposefully get “10 no’s” as quickly as possible.

Purpose
This assignment is actually an off-shoot of the previous “5 yes, 5 no” assignment– but it really gets into the meat of the concept. By seeking to get rejected, you will become fearless. Furthermore, when doing this assignment try to reword your phrasing to purposefully get people to say “no.” Then based on how people react, you can start to understand what type of phrasing elicits a negative response. Then you can start changing your phrasing to get people to say “yes.”

Reflection Questions

1. Was getting a ‘no’ as scary as you thought it was?
2. Were there some people who you were certain would say ‘no’ but ended up saying ‘yes’ instead?
3. How did this assignment challenge the way you stereotype people based on their appearance or clothing?

STREET CLUB WEEK 2 CRITIQUE WITH ERIC

• Liked by
  • CatherineKLake
  • LTVisions
  • thnthr
6 on July 10, 2017

The hardest part for me is working the streets in my own “back yard”. It’s easier (not easy) to take the shots while abroad where people don’t know you and probably won’t see you again (well.. the odds are small). This is challenging and I’m happy to be taking part in these assignments. Here goes the first photo…

on July 10, 2017

Nicely composed. In my opinion, it is a bit overexposed. That could easily be corrected in post production.

on July 11, 2017

I can totally relate that it can be much easier out of town asking for portraits and have come across the same issue. I drive up to the city on weekends and find it much easier there than in my rural hometown too. Great to have tis assignment to push us to go for it.

On the image I really like how you got him in a moment and not looking like he’s posing. I’d also agree that I’d drop the exposure some and a little editing would really help bring the shot to life.

on July 11, 2017

Thanks Guys! Is the below better in your opinion?

on July 12, 2017

Yes, great improvement in my view. –Andrew

on July 13, 2017

Much better

on July 14, 2017

Absolutely love the composition. A street moment well captured. Totally appreciate the challenge of street photography in your own back yard. Perhaps if you thought of your backyard as somewhere you are traveling currently. I travel full time, but spend extended periods in places where ‘strange lands’ quickly turn into ‘old stomping grounds’.  Because I am out on the street whenever I can be, the locals start to recognize me (this happens in large metropolitan cities as well as tiny tropical islands). But rather than being put off, they’ve been curious to learn more and as a result, I’ve had the good fortune of turning some subjects into friends. But the knowledge that I will be moving on someday does give me a sense of distance that makes street shooting easier.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 11, 2017

What a great assignment! I’ve made a good practice of asking for portraits while I’m out shooting but going after 10 no’s seemed like a lot so forced me out of my comfort zone to really just go for it and totally eliminated any previous perceived fear. Going for 10 made me want to get no’s and found that it can usually be easier to get yes’s. A key quote from Eric on whenever you sense fear means to go for the shot and that really stuck with me. Here are 2 shots from my weekend. The one of the daughter and mother I really liked as I was eating lunch and was just drawn to them and ran out the restaurant to ask for their portrait and was honestly anticipating a no but they were great and was a good moment connecting with them. Thanks for the push!

on July 12, 2017

I had the same thing. Surprisingly a “yes” was easier than a “no”. Still working on that “no” count this week. I really like this photo for the guy on one hand contrasting and on the other hand somehow blending in the background. His expression is also interesting. I think an interesting touch in the photograph would be including, as I reckon, the “police” sign below. I love the blacks and whites here as well.

on July 12, 2017

Great photo. Quite a character!

on July 13, 2017

Thanks guys! Appreciate your thoughts on the scene Marcin and I was totally drawn to not just him but the scene overall and liked the composition with the building and especially his belly hanging over the police sign, ha. Good note that I could’ve got a little lower to get the whole sign in the frame as I was focused on the composition with the buildings. Gotta remember that if people allow a portrait I can work it as long as possible until they get sick of me, ha. I did snag this shot below though:

on July 14, 2017

Yeah I love the amount of character here – his belly hanging over, his manboobs chilling out for everyone to see which is kind of drawn to by the backpack straps – and his head and face showing he’s some kind of cheeky chap.

on July 14, 2017

Love this character framed within the city street and adore the belly close up.  I like you am trying to spend more time with people who agree to be photographed. Asking permission is a big stretch for me, and hanging around taking shed loads of pictures after I’ve gotten permission is even that much more challenging.

on July 14, 2017

I really like it! @LTVisions: “Gotta remember that if people allow a portrait I can work it as long as possible until they get sick of me, ha.” – that’s something I got to remind myself from time to time as well 🙂

on July 16, 2017

He’s a character! He looks very confident, determined but friendly. He is in the middle of the picture- the mist importsnt element- and framed by the houses legt and right. I love colour in photos but b&w really suits this picture. The second pic of his lower half completes the scene! Also I think, kind of dividing this photo makes two great shots- his belly’s got character, too! 😉

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 11, 2017
on July 14, 2017

I like this one too. The hats, the eyes, and their neutral expressions. Perfect in BW.

on July 14, 2017

Really nice portrait…the looks…the way they look at the camera…their hats…I guess if you were to be closer to the subjects it would make an even more expressive photographs…thanks for sharing with us…

on July 16, 2017

I like this photo! These two ladies- I don’t know if I’d dared asking them for permission to take a picture of them, I think I’d be intimidated especially by the white lady on the right 😉

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 11, 2017
on July 16, 2017

He looks happy- I like that!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on July 11, 2017

Nice assignment. You have already spoken about this kind of personal assignment in one of your video, so I tried. It is so rewarding to have a “yes” and get a nice street portrait ! I met this guy in Paris (yes, I’m a young french photographer, so please forgive my english), he was having some beers, he looked tough so I asked him to take his photograph. He looked a bit drunk so I was expecting a “no” but what a nice 20 minutes with this guy ! 

on July 11, 2017

Nice shot and love the deep introspective look you got. Doesn’t even look like a posed portrait which makes it so much better. Also like the deep shadows and blacked out background to really draw attention to him and set a mood.

on July 11, 2017

Thanks for sharing your photo with us ! 

This is mine : NBA Street !

on July 12, 2017

Great shot! Love all the detail you got on him and the ball plus a nice shallow depth of field with a solid composition.

on July 12, 2017

Hi Waltt,

“he looked tough so I asked him to take his photograph” – I guess there is no better way to fight one’s fear, congrats on that! As LTVisions mentioned I also like the deep shadows and blacks which correspond really well with the expression on his face. Nice job!

on July 12, 2017

Great shot! Love all the detail you got on him and the ball plus a nice shallow depth of field with a solid composition.

From LTVisions

Thank you Keith ! 

on July 12, 2017

Nice assignment. You have already spoken about this kind of personal assignment in one of your video, so I tried. It is so rewarding to have a “yes” and get a nice street portrait ! I met this guy in Paris (yes, I’m a young french photographer, so please forgive my english), he was having some beers, he looked tough so I asked him to take his photograph. He looked a bit drunk so I was expecting a “no” but what a nice 20 minutes with this guy ! 

From Waltt

Like the the composition and contrast. Great shot !

on July 14, 2017

NBA Street – I love this shot – it looks as if you captured him in action just as he was getting ready to shoot the basket.  I love the simplicity and openness of the background and the expression on his face almost calling me in.I can almost hear the sounds of the city streets in this picture

on July 14, 2017

For Waltt – Love the shadows in this one as well as the backstory. I too have enjoyed turning what I thought would be ‘no’ into a pleasant interaction and opportunity to create together.

on July 14, 2017

Yes…definetively: great shadows…that made all the difference in the photograph…thanks for sharing with us your work…

on July 16, 2017

NBA street…I like that you can feel the heat from looking at the picture. I also like that you’re catchiñg him mid phrase. Kinda neat how you get the picture not too high or low key without being ‘mushy’. Really crisp, but still shows the heat.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 12, 2017

Hi there!
I am new to this forum and photography (in general, in fact, I do shoot with my smartphone, meh). 
I am lucky enough to live and work in Milan, downtown, in areas which are a beloved destination for tourists, but – at the same time, alas – these  same locations have become very sensitive (policemen – even in plainclothes, videocameras… spreaded around streets). Moreover, since I love taking pictures on the metro I am already breaking the rules of the local transportation service (sigh) which clearly forbids taking pictures or filming in stations/on board. 
Added to this is the privacy issue which is becoming huge and heavy in my country. 
Therefore it should be pretty easy to get my 10 NO’s, I do get your point… but I am fearing to get a fine or a F**K U in addition to those denials as well. 
How do you tiptoe on the edge between alleged harassment and asking for permission and taking a NO for an answer?
Sorry in advance if my comment might be misleading from the original topic/aim of the assignment and/or too specific for my location/culture/milieu. 

on July 12, 2017

I have watched several interviews of great streetphotographers in action on YouTube. Believe me when I say that if they were to shoot like that in downtown Milan they would probably be lynched either by a policeman in disguise, the person himself or somebody else audiencing the shooting. 

on July 12, 2017

Hi MimiJoy,

From what you are saying I guess Bruce Gilden (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM) would be one of the first to appear on the police station. I guess NYC is more liberated in this case or, on the other hand, does not have any privacy.

From what I noticed, many photographers don’t ask for permission and some shoot from their hip or in any other way not to get noticed. This is not the solution of course but the laws in EU countries are quite strict on the subject (Poland alike). I wonder how other people take this on. That being said, I don’t see myself asking every person to sing a document similar to a “model release form” and that feels as bouncing on the verge of not being sued after publishing a shot. What do you think?

on July 13, 2017

Hi Marcin, 

I totally agree and, yes, it was Gilden 😉 his majesty the boldness!
I guess that if I was, by any means, related to professional photography and/or working for a design/communication/marketing firm I might feel safer (I work as PA in a real estate company, I have no alibis, LOL). 
When I shoot and “steal” a picture I confess there’s a thrill of adrenaline in it, but when I’m home I know there’s a lot of responsibility. I tend to let the pictures decant some days and share them with a generic geotag and a meagre disclaimer (“If you want your picture to be removed pls contact me“) so that the person portrayed is at least a little bit safeguarded. 
For the record, it happened to me a couple of times that the subject of my picture was recognized by a common friend. No drama. We got in touch and they were happy of being photographed even if they told me they did not notice me at all (ninja mimi!). 
Having said that I need to gain some confidence and be braver and get closer to my humans <3 (of course with respect, kindness and smiles)

on July 13, 2017

Not sure on the laws of your country so I can’t really expand on that but as far as getting over the fear and being comfortable I found watching YouTube videos of street photographers in action to be very helpful and prepare you on how to handle situations. The more videos you watch, podcasts you listen to, and articles you read on street photography really helps you get over that fear and makes street photography just the normal thing that people do in your reality. I’d recommend you just keep pushing yourself and surround yourself with positive street photography influences. As Eric always stresses. You’re the average of the 5 people you’re closest with and I find that’s true to what you read, watch, and listen to. Here’s 2 good videos to watch some greats in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSGWy1CU78&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejkd9c9c54E&t=1387s

Good luck and chase your passion!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on July 12, 2017

2nd photo : UNKNOWN_NYC

on July 12, 2017

Great portrait. Just curious, color grading is nice; did you experiment with a B/W conversion? –Andrew

on July 13, 2017

Wow I love the emotion in his eyes! I personally shoot a lot of B&W but really feel that the colors play so nicely to this image. The yellow adds to the scene somehow without being distracting. Very nice shot!

on July 13, 2017

Thanks for the comments !
I did not try this one in black and white. I probably should try to see what’s happen ;-).

on July 14, 2017

Is that eye light made from the sky behind the gap between the blocks of buildings behind you?

Anyhow with such dark eyes I think it needed that 

on July 14, 2017

Is that eye light made from the sky behind the gap between the blocks of buildings behind you?

Anyhow with such dark eyes I think it needed that 

From trisvocaturo

Yes, it’s natural light from the sky 😉

on July 14, 2017

I love the feeling of this shot as if you are taking the picture as he walks on by. Beautiful muse. I would also love to see in BW but the color works for me too! 

on July 14, 2017

Great portrait…it would be enormously greater if you had a more homogeneous and less distracting background…good background sometimes is hard to find at the site we are making the shot and sometimes is even worse because you don´t find a good one nearby where you are making the shot…

on July 14, 2017

love this portrait, great shot!

on July 16, 2017

this is a great portrait- I like it!

on July 16, 2017

the blurred background still shows where the photo was made- the spot of yellow from the taxi- but it still doesn’t dustract from the main subject

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 12, 2017

Hi Guys Love the forum – I did take the challenge  of asking for  permission and them Making Photo I shoot with an Olympus xz-1 Point and shoot 

on July 13, 2017

DAMN!  Strong images.  I’m sorry I don’t have any actual criticism here, just praise.  These images definitely make me feel the good feels!  I really love how the colors and combinations “feel” for lack of a better way of putting it.

on July 13, 2017

Great job !
Pictures are good ! Maybe too bright. You should play with the white balance to see what’s happen.

on July 14, 2017

Cool, one thing I thought about her was her hair kind of blends with the trees since they’re both similar texture and sharpness. So it kind of looks like her face is growing out from the trees if I look at it one way, because brown hair could be the branches and then the trees are the leaves.

on July 14, 2017

What MaxMerkle said…and that first one #beefcake 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 13, 2017

This assignment was hard.  It took a lot of effort to get moving on it, because I knew that I was looking for “no.”  I was picking the people that I thought would be most likely to give me a “no” and not really paying so much attention to whether or not I actually wanted to take the photo.  So when someone actually said “yes,” it was a little strange to go ahead and try to make the portrait happen.  I did not end up with a lot of photos I would “keep” in this round.  These guys weren’t too bad:

on July 13, 2017
on July 14, 2017

I had the same experience initially when I first started out and felt like I was looking for ’NOs’ regardless of whether I thought the shot was interesting. But you did well with your captures.  I especially like the first with the way that the people seem to create a diagonal line with their positions in the picture. Great expressions too.  

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 13, 2017

It wasn’t easy to ask random strangers to take a photo of them I got a few people to say yes, I don’t think the man in the first photo spoke english because he didn’t understand me when I asked to take his photo but I still snapped a sneaky shot of him. The first and third photos where shot on my fuji x100f and the second photo was shot on film. Thanks for the great assignment.   

on July 14, 2017

1 + 3 I like how you’ve used the lighting for dynamics esp on the faces.

on July 14, 2017

Like your basket ball player, it’s look like made with film camera ! 

Well done !

on July 14, 2017

Fantastic angle and lighting in the third picture. I want to take more like that! Have tried and failed several times!

on July 14, 2017

Sorry the photos are out of order, the first photo should be the third and the the third the first. Thanks for your comments.

on July 14, 2017

like them all. 1st and 3rd are my favorites , great expressions! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 13, 2017

I find getting people to say no to me is REALLY difficult 🙂 

found this on our street…..

on July 14, 2017

I really like how the umbrella lines point in to draw attention to her face.

on July 14, 2017

I like them all, the umbrella and colors in the first, the intimacy with a hint of a smile in the second, and a very creative composition in the third #trashart

on July 14, 2017

The first two are great compositions, but the faces are darkish. It’d be more interesting to me if they were either blacked out in post or side/backlit more while shooting.

I like the third alot. I have a tendency to point my camera at similar things. Nice movement. Cool color contrast (even though the hues are subdued). Someone forgot to pay attention in Jurassic Park.

on July 14, 2017

The photographs # 1 is just great …great colours…great composition…it has emotion and soul   the two ingredients necessary to make a great shot….congrats !!!

on July 14, 2017

Thank you all for your feedback and comments, really appreciate it!

Max, something happened to my settings while shooting that day plus the sun was blaring so when I looked back, the photos were black and I had to fix in LR…not sure how to select a certain area to fix ?  maybe I’ll try to go back and work on them ( if they are worth keeping  🙂  ) 

on July 16, 2017

the umbrella is framing and accentuating (?) the lady’s face- looks like a halo! Only thing in my opinion the background at the legt is a bit overexposed.
May I ask- have these pictures been taken in the UK? The persons both look so very british.

on July 16, 2017

Auricula, Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

I took these in the US, Portland OR at the rose garden and Japanese garden while playing tour guide to friends 🙂 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 14, 2017

Ok so this is the first time I’ve ever asked a stranger if I can photo them.  I was so shocked he said “of course” (with a strong accent) that I asked him again to confirm “yes? Is that ok?”.  I know this is not a ‘portrait’, but tbh I wanted to focus on the moment and connection of this guy with his pigeon friends.

I was getting half yes and half no’s.  The no’s were for example a homeless guy on a park bench, or the road sweeper.  The yes’ were pigeon man, an artist painting, a girl giving out free samples of egg waffles… I don’t know if it’s just me but I felt like the people saying yes were proud of what they’re doing and in contrast the people saying no are ashamed of who they are, or what they’re doing, or they just don’t want me to record that moment in a photo.

Now another point I don’t know if is just in my head or an actual point, is that I think some people who say no are suspicious of me and why I want their picture.  I don’t look like a tourist, I’m a stranger asking for their photo, and I think the no’s are thinking maybe I’m an undercover something, trying to take evidence.  I didn’t really use the wording “can I make a portrait” and if I said that maybe they’d have been different.  Also if I’d build more of a connection first through chatting to break the ice, again maybe they would have said yes.

on July 14, 2017

Ah sorry I couldn’t find a way to edit and replace – this is a different edit non-cropped I think I actually prefer 😬

on July 14, 2017

Very interesting perspective on what might have driven the yes and the nos from the people you were asking to photograph. And I really like the angle you’ve chosen for your photograph as well as the trickling of the bird feed from the hand to the ground. 

on July 14, 2017

Thanks Lisa, actually I ended up chatting to a charity worker for a homeless shelter organisation and she was the one who suggested maybe they’re ashamed and even stopping to chat to them (not just for a picture just generally) can help them feel more confident and more humanised again.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 14, 2017

Morning News

George Town, Penang Malaysia

on July 14, 2017

Nice! Cool colors. Love the pose and composition. Pictured background figure sitting on his head is neat. Like the dog is there as a counter to his pose/attitude. Love it!

on July 14, 2017

I love that even though you asked for permission you captured such a natural moment. For me the images in the background and your low angle make the image look really dynamic.

on July 14, 2017

Great colours and even greater composition…congrats…thanks for sharing your work…

on July 14, 2017

He is my third photograph of the second assignment…

on July 14, 2017

Really like the colour and vibe. Beautiful moment oozing with character!

on July 14, 2017

Lisa, love this shot!  Colors, light, angle, really dynamic!

on July 20, 2017

Really nice !!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on July 14, 2017

My first reaction to Assignment 2 was NOOOOOOOOO given I had received ‘0 ’Nos” in Assignment 1. But then I considered the potential rewards of stretching myself further and set out with my camera

My first ‘No’ was quick in coming because I rushed a family that I was certain would give me a no. I was right. They did. But when I looked back on that experience, I realize that I was not inspired to shoot them, I was just looking for a ‘No”

So I decided to focus on only scenes that inspired me.

After that, I got plenty of ‘Yes’ but still no “Nos”….except for the plethora of self-limiting ‘Nos” that I gave myself. Far more than 10…but I pushed through most of them.

I spent more time with my subjects, photographing them from multiple angles and distances. When they gave me the peace sign or thumbs up, I mustered the courage to ask them to act naturally. But I need to work on my creativity when figuring out how to pose people when they ask me to pose them (or accept that these situations will not produce my best work and move on)  Suggestions welcome.

I continued to enjoy the interactions with people that occur as a result of ‘asking permission’. I’ve even made a few friends along the way, recently enjoying coffee with one subject and a meal with another.  

I think it is going to take me more than one week to collect those 10 Nos, but I am working on it.

For this week’s image, I approached the subject because I loved the scene and was certain he would say ‘No’ (and possibly punch me if I snapped without permission). Instead, he smiled, gave me an affirmative yes, and then went back to what he’d been doing before I’d asked. I didn’t even have to say ‘can you do that again. I hung around and took several shots of him and his pup, but it is the first image that I took of after that unexpected ‘yes’ that I like the best.  

PS – Thanks for putting Street Notes on Mobile. I don’t do paper so its perfect for me.

on July 14, 2017

Love your reflection! And so happy to know that you like street notes mobile 🙂

on July 14, 2017

on July 14, 2017

Usually I don´t have problem with “no´s” that why this was a difficult assigment…but I got a few “no´s” and the exercise was valid to find out how I should better approach people to always (almost) get “yes´s”…My main problem is that I have great difficulties in making photographs with emotion….with soul…the more I look for this kind of photographs the less I find them…

on July 14, 2017

Well you’ve done a great job in capturing soul in the two photos posted here. When I get discouraged while out taking photos, I remind myself that, as Martin Parr says, ‘It is rare that you take a good photo’.  That keeps me going until the next time I take one that I really love.

on July 14, 2017

My favourite of yours is this guy with the hat. I love the contrast between the subject and background, where you have lots of interesting textures (his stubble, wrinkles, hat, and chest hair) against a clean smooth background the glass gives. And his smile looks natural and makes me feel happy to see that.

on July 14, 2017

Many thanks for comments on my photographs !!!

on July 14, 2017

Ah, now the third photo is showing up! It is my favorite of the three. They just keep getting better. Love the reflection, the subject, the details in the face. You had a very good week.

on July 15, 2017

I like the perspective of the first shot. You must have been pretty close. –Andrew

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 14, 2017

Each weekend, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes? Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday (Vietnam time), Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy & Eric

P.S. Since we’re just starting off STREET CLUB, we thought it would be good for everyone to get another week of working on taking photos and asking people for permission to build up confidence talking to strangers.

2. TEN NO’S ASSIGNMENT
Ask people permission to take their portrait and you will try to purposefully get “10 no’s” as quickly as possible.

Purpose
This assignment is actually an off-shoot of the previous “5 yes, 5 no” assignment– but it really gets into the meat of the concept. By seeking to get rejected, you will become fearless. Furthermore, when doing this assignment try to reword your phrasing to purposefully get people to say “no.” Then based on how people react, you can start to understand what type of phrasing elicits a negative response. Then you can start changing your phrasing to get people to say “yes.”

Reflection Questions

1. Was getting a ‘no’ as scary as you thought it was?
2. Were there some people who you were certain would say ‘no’ but ended up saying ‘yes’ instead?
3. How did this assignment challenge the way you stereotype people based on their appearance or clothing?

From Cindy Nguyen

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 14, 2017

Just a reminder to upload your photos and reflections from this assignment in the next 24 hours! Eric will do a video review of the photos uploaded here. This week I focused on writing and designing MASTERS (would love to hear your thoughts in that thread) and I need to focus on writing the beast of my dissertation.

Keep up the great work–I love the thoughtful comments and reflections. I know this was a difficult assignment, but I chose it because it can help familiarize you and prepare you with a “NO.” I learned that when you already expect a “NO”, you cherish the YES so much more (pretty much works in life too).

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 15, 2017

These photos were taken at the Phra Khanong market in Bangkok. –Andrew

on July 15, 2017

I really like the last one with the woman drinking. She seems as she has seen something extraordinary and was kind of suspended in motion. The accompanying tools, pans and such make it even more interesting. Great job ARC!

on July 15, 2017

I especially love the second with its sense of action with a bit of chaos.  

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 15, 2017

“Hidden” / Warsaw, Poland. 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 15, 2017

Nice shot. Man in shadow is lost in thought perhaps oblivious to the cyclist passing by. –Andrew

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 15, 2017

Actually, getting a no intentionally this week was not exactly scary, but it was a little strange. I’d like to think I’m pretty good at getting yesses, so adjusting my approach to get nos felt weird. It still didn’t work a lot of the time, though—too many people still OKd getting their photos made.

To be honest, it seems like there’s not much rhyme or reason to predicting who says yes or no based on their appearance. The big difference seems to be me and my approach. When I seem happy to be out enjoying the world with my camera, being curious and genuinely interested without being intrusive, and open about what I’m doing, I have very few nos. It’s when I switched to acting unhappy, nervous, hesitant, or “up to something” that I would get my nos.

• Liked by
Cancel