STREET CLUB WEEK 1: ASSIGNMENT

Updated on July 25, 2017 in Critique
0 on July 7, 2017

Fantastic expressions in the first and second photo. The first jumped off the page for me.  

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 7, 2017
on July 8, 2017

please disregard this post since I was unable to delete it. thanks!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 7, 2017

It felt good to strike up a conversation with my subjects, which immediately exposed their humanity further. I’ve never really spoken with the subjects let alone ask for permission to take their image; so, it was pretty refreshing and quite sweet to interact with humans.

I’ve been interested in learning approaches to portraiture and this was a glimpse into how one might develop their style when working with a subject so closely; portraiture always made me think how much trust is required or needs to be developed to get the true emotion and story of the person(s) you’re shooting. I digress..

I chose these images because of how simply adorable and sweet this man is. He seemed to be covering this car show I stumbled into and didn’t hesitate to say “yes” the second I asked him for permission. I was drawn to these images because of his genuinely gleeful smile. I’m happy he didn’t shy away when I got really close to his face either which allowed me to capture more detail of his face.

on July 9, 2017

wonderful how you capture his  geniun smile. a lot of soul. especially foto 3, good light and composition. look forward to see more photos. keep looking

on July 10, 2017

hey! nice job on the last picture, i really like the framing of the face and the reflection of yourself on his glasses!

on July 12, 2017

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement, @Henning ! I got lucky with this sweet man as my subject. 🙂

Thanks, @Tarik! I didn’t like that I popped up in his glasses, but I think its cool to see the person on the other end who might be encouraging the subject’s expression. 

on July 25, 2017

I like the first photo best as I like seeing the man’s entire body – his pose is great!

on July 25, 2017

Thanks Joyce! Yes, the way he’s posing, his body shape and his facial expression made this one an interesting one for me, too. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 7, 2017

I especially love the third picture. Great details. I still haven’t struck up the courage to get that close. Something to work on for me.

on July 8, 2017

Thank you Lisa! He actually made me feel comfortable enough to get closer. When I did though, he looked pleasantly surprised. 🙂 Yes, try getting closer next time you shoot. It’s fun.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 8, 2017

It was a difficult week for me when I’m not used to asking for permission when taking pictures. Became a lot no (9 no before a yes) when people were stressed. But eventually found a man outside his pet store that said yes!

on July 10, 2017

Great that things changed after the magic bearded man and dragon. Nice expression of affection in the portrait too. 

on July 25, 2017

Very tender photo of a tough-looking man who loves his lizard – great shot

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 8, 2017

I’m glad that you didn’t give up after 9 ‘nos’! I like how this man’s position (downward eyes and upward cupped hands) build a frame for the lizard. Nice lighting too.

on July 9, 2017

Thanks! I almost gave up when I saw the bearded man with a bearded dragon. After that, I get a lot of “yes” but no great pics. next week..

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 8, 2017

1. Even though Ive been shooting for a while, I do get scared on occasion for their reaction. 

2. I usually take 5-10 pictures

3. Really depends where I am, in NYC, I usually get more yes than no, up in westchester county, more no’s than yes.

on July 9, 2017

I like the warm picture with the woman and the dog. Both smiling at the camera and the arrow pointing at them.

on July 10, 2017

These are nice. The first one could be in a fashion blog like the Sartorialist and the the second with the raincoat is a great portrait.

on July 10, 2017

I like the lightning and the composition of the first picture! The lady looks naturall on her pose.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 9, 2017

hi everyone, unfortunately i have not been able to do the assighnment this week. Usually i take around a hundred photoos a day however this week none. Will do the assighnment. Important for i have quite a block with asking people. Have had bad experiences and sort of decided just to take the photo and not ask. Lets see how to open up to this. picture below taken two weeks ago. 

on July 12, 2017

It’s easy to be discouraged when you’ve had bad experiences asking permission from people, but don’t give up! The good experiences ahead of you will far outweigh the bad day, so try again. I would have never been able to get such honest and close shots from my assignment if I hadn’t asked. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 9, 2017

Great job on the first week everyone! Eric and I made a video review providing feedback on all the photos.

https://youtu.be/BXT-8xr0Kq0

Keep up the great work–loving the photos, reflections, and feedback everyone has been leaving.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 10, 2017

First time I did a homework twice and I loved it !!!

I was already used to getting rejected (as I have worked as a prospector, for a week, in the past) but I still was affraid of getting this big fat “NO“. 

In fact I was more desappointed in some yes than some no’s. 
What I mean is that, some of the people that said No to me were polite and smiling so I didn’t feel rejection at all! 
But a few picture of the people who said yes were not good at all! Their facial expression was too cold and it was my fault because I couldn’t make them feel comfortable.

Here’s 2 of my more-than-twenty-yes-photos.

Ps: Sorry for the delay, couldn’t upload sooner. :/

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 13, 2017

At last someone is saying what I think about all the pomposity and ‘I am better than you’ attitude of the so-called street photography experts! :

“Now I feel liberated. I don’t even care for the definition of “street photography.” 

“ I’ve declared my own definition. 

To me, street photography is documenting, analyzing, and connecting with humanity. 

My rule: 

“ If street photography is making you more distant from real human beings, you’re doing it wrong. 

Street photography should bring us closer to real humans. Not to just treat them like “photo things” to be uploaded to Instagram, and to get likes.”

Eric Kim in “How to Make Controversial Street Photographs”

I’m with you Eric.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 25, 2017

Very nice – I like the texture and detail.

• Liked by
Cancel