STREET CLUB WEEK 1: ASSIGNMENT

Updated on July 25, 2017 in Critique
100 on July 1, 2017

Each Saturday, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes? Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday, Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy & Eric

Street Notes Week 1 Critique with Cindy & Eric

1. FIVE YES, FIVE NO ASSIGNMENT:

Take photos of strangers on the street and ask permission to take a portrait of them. Try to get 5 people to say “yes”, and 5 people to say “no.”

Purpose: One of the best ways to overcome your fear of shooting street photography is to start off by asking for permission. A lot of people are afraid of upsetting other people if they photograph them candidly and without permission. However if you ask for permission, you give your subject the opportunity to say “no” and prevent them from feeling upset. Furthermore, if you do this assignment it re-wires your psychology a bit by getting use to rejection. I think one of the biggest fears that we have in street photography isn’t getting rejected, but the fear of getting rejected. The fear of rejection is often the biggest barrier. But like a child, sometimes you need to fall a few times in order to realize that falling itself isn’t that big of a deal. You will get a lot of “no’s” but perhaps fewer than you expect. Sometimes the people you expect to say “no” actually end up saying “yes.”

Reflection Questions:

1. Are you more afraid of getting a ‘no’ or‘yes’?

2. If someone says ‘yes’, how many photos will you make of them?

3. How many ‘no’s’ do you think you willget before you get one ‘yes’?

For some inspiration, check out Keenan Rivals using Street Notes on the streets of Detroit working on the assignment “5 Yes, 5 No”:

• Liked by
  • lisadorenfest
  • Jesper
4 on July 3, 2017

As I look back, I realized that I don’t worry about rejection anymore and noticed that it has empowered my stance as a photographer. I’ve lost count of the NO’s and fully taken advantage of the YES’s.

https://instagram.com/cisconyc

on July 3, 2017

That’s awesome! Would love to see some if your new work that you make this week 🙂

on July 4, 2017

I tried uploading a photo but it didn’t go through. Could it be that I’m on my iPhone?

on July 5, 2017

Really like your Instagram pics. Look forward to seeing what you post here. 🙂

on July 5, 2017

Hmm sorry about the technical difficulties @Ciscoync . Maybe try uploading from a computer? When you upload an image it will show the HTML embed code and then you click ‘Reply’ and it should publish.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 3, 2017

I hope that people will accept this as a new challenge and not dig into their pile. Sometimes we want more “yes” here than on the street. JP

on July 3, 2017

Great point, looking forward to seeing what you come up with thus week!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 3, 2017

Took the challenge today with my16-year-old nephew who is accomplished in his own right. He loves portrait photography, but was intimidated to approach strangers. We got mostly yeses at first. Between the two of us got 15 yeses and 6 no’s. Best of all, he conquered his fear and we had fun!

on July 3, 2017

Great job! Remember both to post your best photo here for review 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 4, 2017

Excited to be going out today to do the assignment, hope to get something good but a little apprehensive!

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 4, 2017

Hi Cindy/Eric…exactely where shall we upload the best photo of week from this assigment?…thanks….antonio

on July 4, 2017

Upload it here to this thread 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 4, 2017

Got a lot of yesses and only a few nos today. Felt good to be out shooting.

on July 5, 2017

I am afraid this does not work for me although I do like the concept. If it was cropped heavily so as to just include the lady blowing bubble I think it would work better.

on July 6, 2017

I like the movement in this picture both the mother blowing bubbles and the child gleefully running from them. I can feel the summer in this image.

on July 6, 2017

^^came by to leave essentially exactly what you just said…

I think the arrangement is really cool.  I would also go so far as to say that taking the child’s head out of the picture helps keep my attention focused on the movement/color of the photograph.

on July 6, 2017

@Max: Funny thing—that’s not cropped at all, the child ran out of frame just as I snapped the photo. But it’s probably my favorite thing about the shot.

on July 6, 2017

I too like the movement, I  think I would like to see a really close crop of the woman.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel

I’ve been working an everyday street photography project for 2017 called #3StrangersAday. I’ve noticed that sometimes 1 yes equates to many more yeses from others in a group. That’s to say, one or two people say yes (or in this instance children) and then others join in. 

A video I shot of the encounter with street children sums up the one-yes-leads-to-another effect. 

on July 5, 2017

Went out to do assignment. bucketed with rain, went home, did a selfie. Better luck next time.

on July 5, 2017

I like the photo of the children smiling and I can’t help smiling along with them! I wonder if it would be even better with a tighter crop as I find the black leg on th left of the photo rather distracting. But it is a lovely image.

on July 6, 2017

Street children: Nice moment captured, with a good sense of place. I like how each child has a different reaction to being photographed.

Selfie: An image not of other people at all, taken inside the photographer’s home instead of on the street. Interesting choice.

on July 6, 2017

Sadly I could not load the video for some reason. But I enjoyed the image. The smiles are infectious and I like the framing with the legs. Works great in black and white!

on July 6, 2017

love the expresion of these kids, works really well in B&W, I too wonder about the closer crop.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 5, 2017

Hard to comment on three photos when only 2 other than own is uploaded! Can we post more than one please? 

on July 5, 2017

Good point! Yes, upload 1-3 of your best photos shot during this week 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on July 6, 2017

Fried Pork-Belly – Penang, Malaysia  

on July 6, 2017

I love how the lines of the cage break up the photo.  The colors are all great/rich.  Both of their expressions are spot on as well!  

on July 6, 2017

I like this… the cage makes me feel like the pork belly is forbidden fruit !

on July 7, 2017

Nice framing…nice colors too…nice look of the woman we see at the background…

on July 7, 2017

I agree with Max. The bars resemble a grid which directs your eye to specific subjects the bars are framing: hanging meat, man in the center, and the lady behind him.  

on July 8, 2017

The frame is nice and so many pictures in one. I like this picture!

on July 10, 2017

This was nice. I like that you can see the head and hands of him and the head of the lady. 

on July 11, 2017

Love how you framed this! Also great expression on both their faces and the girl in the background is a really nice bonus to the shot.

on July 25, 2017

I love the framing and the colors as well. The colors make it stand out.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 6, 2017

I was feeling a bit stuck with my street photography..as if I’d taken it as far as I could on my own, so I came here to find inspiration and discovered this lesson.

I almost always shoot first and ask permission later. This is due to fear of losing a shot, fear of negatively influencing the scene, and fear of rejection. 

This exercise had me face my fears and changed my outlook.

Getting a yes was surprisingly easy. I got WAY more than 5 yeses and just kept going. The trouble was getting a no.  My energy gave out before I could collect even one.  I’ll keep trying.

While people would often pose after I asked to make a photo with them, more often than not, they would pose in such a way that enhanced the scene in a way I had never considered. 

And I must have sent some signal to the universe with my asking permission because a few people on the street randomly asked me to take their photo as I was walking by… 

Only once did I get the boring double peace sign.  I need to work on getting past that to natural.

In two cases, it might have been better to snap the scene I spied and then ask permission…because once I asked, the scene was gone. But maybe that is also more self-training to ask people ’Can You Do That Again’.  

Anyhow, had a blast, look forward to more experimenting with this lesson and participating in others.

on July 6, 2017

Wow, thanks for sharing your story. I love that you got way more than 5 YES’s and that the universe was sending subjects your way!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 6, 2017

Just a reminder to upload 1-3 of your best new photos that you took this week from this assignment.

Upload it directly here, add your reflections, and leave feedback for at least 3 other photos.

Eric and I will review the photos on Sunday July 9 (Vietnam time) and choose our favorite!

on July 7, 2017

Hi Cindy! I have two posts because I was unable to edit/update my post more than once. I got the following message: “You can’t edit this post anymore.” Is it possible to have a delete and/or option to update your post multiple times?

on July 9, 2017

Thanks for this message let me look into it!

on July 12, 2017

Thanks!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 6, 2017

Sometimes you just get lucky, double scene.

Brussels, Belgium

on July 6, 2017

Which one of those people did you ask to take their picture?  I really love the sharp contrast of light/shadow (but with a lot of depth in the mid-tones at the same time).  I also like how the ladies are clearly controlling this entire scene.  Cool stuff though.  I can’t help but feel like there are too many things to focus on though?  

on July 7, 2017

Good shot in general…in specific I liked the contrast and ‘the decise moment’ that you were able to catch…the picture also implies movement and splenditilly shows how much people care to each other…i.e., love is beautiful….life is beaultiful…thanks for sharing this with all f us…

on July 7, 2017

I like how you can’t tell where the ladies are walking into; it’s just black. I wonder how the image would change if you zoomed in on the four subjects? I’d want to know if doing so would make the shot feel more personal. 

on July 11, 2017

Wow nice catch! Really cool to catch two intimate moments in the same scene.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 6, 2017

I found this assignment to be pretty enlightening.  Some of the things I found unexpectedly, but they make a lot of sense in retrospect:

-People that are coupled-up are very likely to say “yes,” regardless of phrasing or approach.  It seems like there’s probably a desire to show the other person they like for other people to know they enjoy their company or something of that nature… (maybe they just don’t want to look like a jerk)

-People in dress-clothes on their way home from work are not really likely to say yes, but also don’t seem to care enough to tell you to fuck off if you take their picture without talking to them first (actually had someone tell me that I should have just snuck up on him…).  A lot of the other no’s seemed pretty random.  I got some pretty angry-looking people to say yes.  I would have to guess that looking angry and being frustrated from a day of work (and therefore not wanting to deal with having someone else in their face about anything) are not necessarily correlated :).

-Compliments work great, but I have to also be giving a genuine compliment for it to help.  I had a couple of people that I badly wanted to photograph, but didn’t really want to give them the whole story could probably tell that I had mixed motivations.

-really, I’ve only had a few people get MAD at me for trying to make a photo of them.  That’s a story for another time.  The nice thing about asking is giving them an opt-out.  The not-so-nice thing is that it’s hard to talk them back into being natural.

on July 6, 2017

I like the slow shutter on the picture of the woman. It completely changes the mood of what we’re seeing, compared to what a frozen-in-time still shot would feel like.

on July 6, 2017

Great tips from your experiences. And I adore each of your images

• the first with its endless reflections and character lost in thought
  • the second with what is in and what is outside the frame
  • the third because of the emotion and expression

Look forward to seeing more.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 6, 2017
on July 25, 2017

I love the man’s green shirt and his great expression.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 6, 2017
on July 6, 2017

I like the frames in your photos, especially the second framed by the people. And great colors too!

on July 25, 2017

Awesome colors and framing.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 6, 2017

I didn’t get any no’s today. This was my second time doing this assignment and both times I learned something new. The first time I realised that the subject is almost more nervous than the person behind the camera. Today, I realised that people are inherently NICE and to not be afraid to approach people. I was a bit  timid about approaching my subject just based on the way he looked, and I was sooooo wrong , he was really humble and easy going!

on July 7, 2017

What I like about this is the way it’s deceptive (in a good way). At first look, the low contrast, serene expression, and splayed hair make this seem like a transcendent figure in some kind of dance. But no—it’s just a guy having a nap. Thanks for this.

on July 7, 2017

Thank you RyanPSt!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 6, 2017

A beautiful muse well captured. I’m with you..people are in inherently NICE.  And great insight that the subjects are more nervous than the photographer.

on July 7, 2017

Thank you, lisadorenfest!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on July 7, 2017
on July 7, 2017

Finally got it to work!!!!

As I was in the Otavalo Market in Ecuador, I couldn’t help my self to ask the majority of vendors. Some refused and some didn’t mind it. Overall, I’ve come to understand how to engage with my subjects and come at them with a non-touristy approach.

on July 7, 2017
on July 7, 2017
on July 7, 2017

beautiful colors in you pictures…we should always strugle for pictures that are not too posy – I don´t know if this word is correct – i.e., we should avoid as much as possible that our subejcts don´t pose … but I always have the same problem…but thanks for sharing your pictures with all of us…

on July 7, 2017

Wonderful, vivid colors and beautiful faces. Would love to know their backstories.

on July 7, 2017

The colors of these garments are striking! I like the first image the most. Her eyes express a sense of pride for the art she’s made.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 7, 2017

That was a difficult task to get at least 5 ‘no’ and 5 ‘yes’…the ‘yes’ were more hard to get than the ‘no´s’ as I think it´s easier to people to refuse to take pictures than to agree with it…but the mission was accomplished…I´ve uploaded 3 pics that I think represent the best ones that I was able to get…but my feeling is that I am not plenty satisfied with the results…there is always room for improvements…keep on trying…

on July 7, 2017

I like the first image. The angle you chose to take compliments the attitude and look the subject exudes; authority and maybe a tinge of grumpiness.

on July 8, 2017

That is a very interesting/great reading !!!…thank you so much…

on July 8, 2017

The first one, master piece!

on July 8, 2017

I agree with Moiselevi, the first one is a strong pic. Love the black and white and the look in his eyes.

on July 8, 2017

Thank you, Rudegirl !!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 7, 2017

Thanks for sharing these, the expression of the first one is my favorite, great capture!

on July 7, 2017

Thanks indeed…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel