STREET CLUB Summer 2018 Last Assignment 4: Loved Ones Winners announced Aug13

Updated 4 days ago in Critique
118 on July 25, 2018

Video Review:

Super excited for everyone’s past assignments! (Assignment 1 Cafe, Assignment 2 Park, and Assignment 3 Elderly) We wanted to post the last assignment early so that everyone has  chance to submit to all the assignments before August 12, when we announce the winners and grand prizes (Grand prize: Saigon Satchel with Street Notes, Street Hunt, Photo Journal & Film Notes print editions; 2nd prize: Street Photography Starter Kit;  Third Prize: Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Udemy Course!)

For Assignment 4, we wanted to take STREET CLUB back to the photographer: photographing your loved ones in a street photography, dynamic, and meaningful way! Try to practice composition techniques (dynamic angles, clean background) or use eye contact, hand gestures, background context to tell a story. Reveal emotion and yourself through your interaction with your loved ones when photographing them.

During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best new photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to answer the reflection questions or add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes?

Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. On August 13, Eric will provide critiques on the photos and announce the winners of STREET CLUB SUMMER 2018

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy, Eric

P.S. Use STREET HUNT as our school “textbook” to complete assignments, share photos and reflections, and receive feedback. It is not mandatory to purchase Street Hunt, but it would be useful and valuable to have a printed or mobile edition copy to follow along and write down notes.

The summer school begins July 2, 2018 and winners will be announced August 12, 2018. Feel free to continue posting new photos and comments in previous week’s assignments!

Assignment 4: Loved Ones

• ONE PHOTO OF YOUR LOVED ONE EVERY DAY: Photograph your loved one in the morning, while they are working, when you go to the coffee shop or dinner together. Then at the end of 1 week, choose your three best photos which tell the story of your loved one and (also share it with them).
  • MIRRORS AND REFLECTIONS: Photograph your loved ones through mirrors or reflections. Try to do a self-portrait of yourself and your loved one. This will put your soul in the photograph and help remind you of the good times you’ve had together.

Purpose: We hope that this assignment can remind you to photograph those closest and most meaningful to us (friends, family, partner, children). By directing our ‘street photography’ eye and dedication to our loved ones, we can also find more joy and appreciation in our everyday lives!

Reflection Questions:

1. How did I integrate street photography techniques when photographing my loved ones?
  2. How did I feel a deeper connection with my loved ones when I photograph them?
  3. What type of story or emotion am I trying to convey through my photo?

Example photo:

• Liked by
  • Zarma
  • MarkVolz
8 on July 26, 2018
  1. How did I integrate street photography techniques when photographing my loved ones? I photographed Cindy a lot ‘candidly’ — when she wasn’t really paying attention. Also integrating hand gestures, and minimalist backgrounds. 
  2. How did I feel a deeper connection with my loved ones when I photograph them? I realized how beautiful Cindy was; and how I often take her for granted. 
  3. What type of story or emotion am I trying to convey through my photo? I want to show elegance, love, and the joy of being alive!
My last train trip to Barcelona with my wife, my daughter, my dog ​​and two friends
5 days ago

Hi Luis! I really like the first photo with your dog…the blurred background, the lights..maybe I would have made the dog sharper and cancelled the leaves in the left corner.. anyway, very nice composition!

4 days ago

Hi Luis,

My favorite photo of yours is the last one.I like the “looking down point” of view and how clearly I can see the interaction between the girls.Really nice triangle composition!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on August 2, 2018
on August 2, 2018

My wife enjoying moments while my son eats his dinner

on August 2, 2018

This is a nice moment and I like the depth of the picture. I like how there are things calling for my attention in the foreground, midground, and background like the cup, your son, and your wife and the family picture. Is this the only photo from this moment? Did you take a few others? I am curious to see any variants but I like the idea of the photo a lot.  The photo tells a great story. 

on August 4, 2018

Brilliant reflections and composition. So much going on but it all fits. Agree with @astromarinaio on the placement of objects in the frame. Wonderful!

on August 4, 2018

Thanks all for your appreciation and feedback ! I really enjoyed taking this photograph and it is one of my personal favourites. Somehow, I always have a chuckle in my mind when I see this, especially my wife’s expression. She was like, savouring the moment, as a mother feels when the child is eating.

on August 5, 2018

nice reflections .. grabbing a quick bite to eat amongst steel bowls/pots 

4 days ago

Hi Chandra!

Great use of geometry in your mother and son photo.I like all the different shapes and the depth of field you captured.The cherry on top for me is the ‘kind of surreal appearance ‘of your wife in the back -a way smaller then the boy in the front and leaning against the vessel.Great!!!  

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 2, 2018
on August 2, 2018

Really lovely photo Chandra; — what is the metaphor of the apple?

on August 2, 2018

This is another nice moment. I like how your daughter is closer and her mother is lit up a bit more. 

on August 3, 2018

I like your 2nd photograph, Chandra, as it shows tenderness… confidence…. love betweem mother and daughter…

on August 4, 2018

The lighting and shadows are fantastic. I love the way your daughter’s eyes draw us to the apple on the table. 

on August 4, 2018

Thanks all ! Appreciate your feedback and kind words !

Eric , the apple helped me in composing the picture so as to give a triangle. The eyes move from my daughters eyes to the apple to my wife and so on. And also it provides a slightly different colour while the eye moves. To be honest, I did not think of it in metaphorical terms…Of course, in hindsight I can now attribute something to it, which I would not want to do !

on August 5, 2018

Hi Sandra … really like the second image with the apple… the expression on the girls faces makes me wonder what they are doing 

on August 5, 2018

Chandra, I cannot think of anything to add to the comments above except to tell you how much I enjoy both these photos, especially the soup scene. 

Like the second photo. Great light. I just miss mom’s the right hand and a gesture with the apple. Great job!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 2, 2018

Mother daughter connect !

• Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 3, 2018

Breakfast:  

Editing Problems: 

Happy Place:

My girlfriend Natasha has been working very hard for months on an animated film and I was very fortunate to catch her in action. 

on August 3, 2018

Great story you told us astromarinaio !!!…the three photographs fit so well…

on August 4, 2018

A great series @astromarinaio. Love the angle and the expression in the first, the intimacy and tone in the second, and the placement among objects in the third. Excellent work! Animators rock! 

on August 5, 2018

@astromarinaio love the composition in the third image … funny … the second one tells a story 🙂  

on August 5, 2018

Like them all, but my favourite is the first. Its pretty intimate look into daily routine, and there is a vulnerability about someone standing there in pajamas eating yogurt. Many people wouldn’t allow themselves to be photographed that way and it reflects on her trust and relationship with you. In a way, because you chose this scene, I think this photo may be more of a reflection of who you are than the subject. I don’t know  if I’m making sense. At any rate, I love the photo! 

on August 8, 2018

I specially like the second one, the way she is laying on the bed, her hands, her way of looking to the computer. For me it is reflecting an intimate daily moment. Nice!

7 days ago

Hi!:D

I really like all of them, especially for the minimalism, in the subjcts and in the colors… for the same reasonI don’t like the bnw conversion for the second one,I’d rather left it in color! However, great job and nice story!

5 days ago

I Like all of them, I think you did a great job in capturing moments of your life together. The second is my favorite, love the tone and feels as if  the viewer is right there!

4 days ago

Hi astromarinaio,

All of them are great captures,but the one that caught my eye is the last one.I love the simplicity of that composition! Great placement of your subject,soft light and lovely tones (especially the blue chalkboard)! Great job!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 3, 2018

My grandchildren…three out of five…my joy of life !!!

(2nd attemp…sorry about that…)

on August 3, 2018

Your grandchildren are adorable! The first photo is full of excitement and energy and I really like the hand towards the bottom left. The second photo is great, your grandson’s expression is great and makes me wonder what he is thinking about. The composition is nice and I am curious what this photo would look like if you took a few steps back. it is great the way it is but I am a bit curious if a bit more space was added. The third is cool but I wish either you or your grandson was a bit closer. The framing and location are great. Your grandson’s expression and movement are also fantastic, but I wonder what it would be like if you were a bit closer. Good work and keep making great stuff 🙂

on August 3, 2018

thank you, astromarinaio….sensitive readings of the photographs…

on August 4, 2018

Enjoyed your series and totally agree with @astromarinaio that your grandchildren are adorable. I love the joy in the first but my favorite is the second image. The personal reflection in his ‘faraway’ eyes and the lighting really bring it home for me. So much depth in that image. I wouldn’t change a thing! 

on August 5, 2018

@amozeto I really enjoy looking at the photos of your beautiful grand children. The second one is my favourite. It has a timeless feel about it.  I love his expression, the tone and his crossed arms. I also like the mood and smiles in the fist one 

on August 5, 2018

I forgot to mention that the plastic chair in first photo is a bit distracting for me 

on August 5, 2018

I agree with everything, except that I think you are the perfect distance away I. The second photo. That one is my favourite! You have captured a beautiful quiet candI’d moment. Wonderful! 

5 days ago

Agreed, Your grand children are adorable 🙂  I like all of them, the 2nd being my favorite. Great tone, and expression, the crossed arms make me wonder what he was thinking about

4 days ago

Hi amozeto!

Love the minimalist approach in the 3rd photo and its tones.But the second of your photos is my favorite.The portrait of your grandson looks like a vintage book illustration!Great pose,expression,wonderful tones – a big Fav!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on August 4, 2018

This was a difficult assignment for me. My partner and I live on a sailboat where space is at a premium. We are often together 24×7 for weeks on end in sometimes difficult circumstances without the opportunity to run out for a coffee when we urgently feel the need to get away from one another. 

Learning The Honey River’s Secrets

Street Photography is how I carve out my space. It is the place where I create and it allows me to connect with others long after the image is made.   I find I photograph strangers much differently than people I know.  

Discovering There Are Crocs In These Parts  

This week’s assignment brought my partner into my precious ‘partner free’ zone and at first, I was like ‘NOOOOOO!’ But in the end, it made me begin to rethink the way I photograph him and reminded me how lucky I am to be traveling with him. He is my hero and The Captain of our grand adventure. He floats my boat.    

Captain With Crew 

Still hoping to get a good mirror/reflection image, but thought I would post the first half of the assignment today.  

on August 5, 2018

I like the documentary style and travelmood in you photos.  Your text makes me want to know more about what your are doing. How long have you been living on a boat and why? Where have you traveled to and what is your next destination? Is it only him and you or are there other people on board? How big is the boat? I completely understand your challenge … living so closely together you need your  individual space. I can imagine that your companion might also be a bit model  overloaded 🙂 

on August 5, 2018

Hi Lisa, To me, all of your photos, including those from other assignments, are interesting and exotic. I feel like I’m visiting right there along with you. But in these three shots, it really doesn’t feel like visiting so much as actually being part of that community- there is a level of comfort between all the people in your shots. Your partner looks happy and at home. I love the third shot, particularly the eye contact of the child in front, and the wave of the little boy on the right. And the lighting is gorgeous!

on August 6, 2018

@majmanczak I am delighted that the series intrigued you enough to want to know more. We are sailing around the world together on a 48ft monohull, just the two of us. We met in New York after having sailed across the Atlantic separately and started sailing together from Isla Mujeres Mexico 5+ years ago. We’ve made our way to Madagascar and are heading to South Africa in October! it is a great life, but there is truth to the saying that one year at sea together is equivalent to ten years of marriage:-)

on August 6, 2018

@Geoff Thank you so much for your lovely and insightful feedback. You’ve encouraged me to include my partner in more of my images to give a better sense of our life out here. He is one of those types that quickly establishes a rapport with most everyone he meets (speaking four languages certainly helps). I tend to be shyer and I hide behind my camera a lot here as I don’t speak the language.  

5 days ago

Hi Lisa!  Geoff couldn’t have said it any better!  I really like all of them , the 3rd is my favorite, gorgeous light, and the expressions of the children as well as your partner, he looks like he’s thoroughly enjoying himself

5 days ago

@vickiseabrook He was enjoying himself indeed; biggest kid in the dinghy. Greatly appreciate your very kind feedback.

4 days ago

Hi,Lisa!

I’m enjoying the street style in your other way travel photography!Very interesting,nontraditional,very well done!If I have to choose only one image ,this is the last one for its magic light!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on August 5, 2018

This week I have been on holiday with my two of loved ones by the sea ….. still hoping to catch a good image of my two sons later today perhaps even with a reflection.  The first image is my 87 year old father going up the the stairs to the garden after his morning swim  

on August 5, 2018

Photos taken from the back can often tell as much and sometimes more than a traditional portrait. I like this image because it is has a softness about it … an almost romantic feel with light coming though the leaves reflecting on his back. The bent indicate as posture indicates that he is old and getting more fragile. 

on August 8, 2018

I really like this photo, for me it feels like a man walking through the universe with the sun on his back,  It’s kind of meditative. Really nice!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on August 5, 2018

A more traditional portrait of my beloved dad drying himself on the wooden bridge after his morning swim 

on August 5, 2018

I chose this photo of my dad cause it is full of life despite his 87 summers. I love his wrinkles, the smiling eyes and the weather beaten hair. My dad has always loved water … so he is in his element 

on August 6, 2018

This is a great bnw portrait !!!… fantastic smile…very…very expressive to me…

on August 6, 2018

I adore the intimacy of the two dad photos and think you should add to the series. The first one gives a sense of a lonely, only man struggling up the stairs but the second one gives a sense of a happy man full of life who is far younger than his years. Two totally different moods and tones with the same person shot from different angles. Brilliant! 

on August 7, 2018

@ amozeto and lisadorenfest. Thanks for your comments. I also love the photo of my dad where he is smiling …. the other one I also like cause it shows that he has been struggling with arthritis for the last couple of weeks making it painful for him to walk …. I reminds me how precious and fragile life can and that we should be grateful for every moment we have with our loved ones. 

on August 9, 2018

I really like both these photos. The same subject, but so different. The second one makes me smile. I think, very marginally, I like the first one a little better, just because It’s a bit more complicated and mysterious. The fact he is wearing a towel implies he is still getting out there and enjoying life despite the frailty/pain in his posture. If I didn’t know the background story, it wouldn’t be so poignant for me. If you were to post this elsewhere or display it, I might title it with something like “After the Swim” or “Returning from the Sea” or something. Nice job on both photos! 

7 days ago

Hi 😀

I like the second photo, it expresses a lot of joy and joviality!! I like the exact moment you took the photo! 

5 days ago

I really like the photo of your father going up the stairs.  I like the shadow made by the tree.  I only wish the photo was a little brighter, especially in the shadow area.  I want to see more details of the leaves and your father’s head.  The portrait is very nice too.  I like his expression and softness.

4 days ago

I like them both,but the first one is so interesting with the shadows on his back and the great texture on the towel!The BW processing works great!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on August 5, 2018

This photo of my boyfriend on the way up the stairs from a swim … I like the reflections in the water, the wrinkles and the intense look in his eyes ….  it is  taken another day in the afternoon 

on August 6, 2018

What I especially like about this photo is the circle shapes and waves. The tattoo seems to have both as does the water and his face (made by his eyes, head, and wrinkles.  I also like that he is more to the left of the frame. Very nice shot.

on August 7, 2018

Thank you lisadorenfest for your nice comments. I like extactly the same things in the photo as you 🙂 

on August 9, 2018

I keep gravitating to this picture. The composition is terrific and I agree with Lisa on all her points. But the eye contact! So fantastic! It makes me feel he is looking at the viewer of the photo rather than a camera! Wow! 

4 days ago

Wonderful eye contact!I see the “waves” repetition in your image!Well spotted and captured!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on August 5, 2018

My hubby, Mike, and I live on Vancouver Island, away from many wonderful relative who live on the mainland. However, we are blessed to have so many friends we count as family right here. I guess the street photographer technique would be the candidness of the shots, no posing. Although it is a little different with my friends because it’s not about being stealthy, it’s about taking so many damn photos that nobody pays attention to the camera anymore! 

The first shot, hubby driving a little motorboat we took out with a few friends on Friday. I’m sitting in the bow of the boat. He’s totally in his element. I’ve just asked hm something- I can’t remember what.  Reflection shot. 

Second, Mike last night, at a friend’s barbecue with our dog, Daisy, who you all have seen before.

Third, our friend Michael and his dog Sophie, at the same barbecue, just before the evening sun disappeared behind the trees. 

on August 6, 2018

I like your third photograph, Geoff…one of the best portrait in this assignment…it´s composition in very well done…it carries mystery to the scene…the dog is, to me, the it´s high point…congrats….

5 days ago

the third photo is like taken from a movie, if has some magic..

4 days ago

Hi Geoff!

I love the light in all of your images!My favorite one is the third image -The dog is so well framed against the black shirt of your friend,wonderful contrast!The dog looks straight in the camera,but its owner away -very well done dog’s portrait!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 5, 2018

Hi Geoff. Good images. I especially like the two first images … nice reflection you caught in the glasses. The contrast between the smiling man and the sad looking dog in the second catches my eye and makes me smile .   

on August 6, 2018

How lucky are you to live on Vancouver Island? All three images are great Geoff! The first is a great reflection shot with you there in the sunglasses. Mike clearly seems happy in his element.  I like his face in the right of the frame slightly tilted upward. In the second photo, the BW accentuates his wrinkles beautifully. I also like that neither he nor Daisy is facing the camera. A great composition. The lighting and shadows in the last shot are very nice as is the reflective expression on Michael’s face.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on August 8, 2018

After trying to clear out all of our “stuff” I caught my husband lying down in the driveway 🙂 

on August 8, 2018

Like a perfect street shot … love the angle. Makes me wonder ‘what is he doing there’.

on August 9, 2018

Hi Vicki! I really like the angle, also- both the perspective from above and the angle of the mattress. Feels very candid, with him resting and especially with a bit belly showing. But of course there is some nice eye contact, just like you have “caught” him.  But the totally cherry on top for me is the “This side down” label. Wonderful! 

5 days ago

unusual scene, nice spotted and positioned

5 days ago

Very cool photo.  Somewhat surreal and mysterious.  Good contrast and overall composition.

5 days ago

Cool in a cinematic kind of way. It’s like a still from a film but also like a postage stamp randomly on a table.

4 days ago

Hi,Vicki!

Such a clever composition you created!Love it!

4 days ago

Thank you all for the feedback! appreciate it!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 8, 2018

I used to hate photos, because I associated them to fake smile moments with family and friends. When I started to take photos what I wanted was to capture real and unique moments and I have had the tendency to look for them in the street. So with this assignment I realised that’s also possible with family and friends 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 8, 2018

My boyfriend

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on August 8, 2018

His brother

on August 10, 2018

I like the 2nd shot too…very nice bnw…very good pose…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on August 8, 2018

I especially like the second image. The simplicity, the expression, the larger than life feel given the angle. Nice one 

• Liked by
Cancel
2 on August 9, 2018

I like the pensive expression in the first pic, and the colours in his shirt. The lower background is white, which I like, but I wish the upper background was darker/black- I think that would really set off your boyfriend’s skin tone and shirt.

Really love the 2nd pic. The beard, long hair, and the drape and folds of his blanket remind me of scenes from classical painting and sculpture. Very serious and even Christ-like.  It the expression is anything but serious. I like this juxtaposition a LOT. The POV is great, the fact that half his face is in the shade, and I like dark background below and the light background above. Splendid portrait!

on August 10, 2018

I really like the 2nd photo. I agree with Lisa, good job with the angle.Great expression!

4 days ago

I like the high key technique in both of your images,but the second one is my favorite.The bw processing makes the portrait look like a drawing!Great job!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 7 days ago

This week I was having family vacation and sorry,no much time for comments.But I’ll catch up with you very soon.After taking many shots of my son and husband this week,having the assignment in mind,I realized that capturing the loved ones in street style was not easier than doing the same with strangers.I really enjoyed the challenge and I’ll keep practicing it!

7 days ago

Hi!:D

I really like the “street photography” approach in your family photos! The first is a very nice dutch angle, so that the composition doesn’t result boring and put the shadow of your son in evidence! There is a lot of mystery in it and it could be part of a story! 

The third one has also a very dinamic composition, with the diagonals and the contrast between blue and yellow.The perpective from where you took the photo were also good to create a more simple background, with less distractions, so that the eye is catched by the subject of the photo. Great job!

6 days ago

Totally agree that capturing loved ones is more difficult than strangers but you’ve done so beautifully. The first one is my favorite…love the angle and shadows.

5 days ago

I like the first photo, shadows and real objekts in play..

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 7 days ago

Hi everybody 😀

here I have four photos from a project I’m doing on my grandpa. I really love him and I want to preserve his young personality, through my photos. In these photos, in particular, I brought him to take an ice cream, despite he’s 92 years old. I put a photo of him when he was younger, doing faces, close to him eating the ice-cream, just to show that the age doesn’t matter when you are young inside!

Wearing to go out

Finally eating the ice-cream

There is then a photo of him reflected in a mirror, with all the elements of an italian old-style room.

6 days ago

Your grandpa series is awesome. Photo contest worthy. All fantastic composition but the first is my favorite for its tone and mood. The use of sepia really brings these home.

Great series! Sepia tone helps. Congrats

5 days ago

Thank you so much!!

5 days ago

I truly enjoyed viewing your photo series.  Good choice using Black and White.  Very engaging and creative compositions, and nice variety of settings.  The only thing I dislike, and it’s a minor dislike, is the fan in the foreground.

4 days ago

Such a great idea to work on this project!

I love the ice cream set up of your grandpa’s portrait.I see the conceptual contrast -a 92 years old enjoying ice cream and feeling like a child! But to me the photo of  his younger years doesn’t add to the story,keeping simpler would be the better.

The same thing I see in the photo with the fan.Your grandpa is very well framed,but the   big  fan in the fore grand is overwhelming and distracting.

Keep working on the project and hope to see more from it! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel