Super excited for everyone’s past assignments! (Assignment 1 Cafe, Assignment 2 Park, and Assignment 3 Elderly) We wanted to post the last assignment early so that everyone has chance to submit to all the assignments before August 12, when we announce the winners and grand prizes (Grand prize: Saigon Satchel with Street Notes, Street Hunt, Photo Journal & Film Notes print editions; 2nd prize: Street Photography Starter Kit; Third Prize: Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Udemy Course!)
For Assignment 4, we wanted to take STREET CLUB back to the photographer: photographing your loved ones in a street photography, dynamic, and meaningful way! Try to practice composition techniques (dynamic angles, clean background) or use eye contact, hand gestures, background context to tell a story. Reveal emotion and yourself through your interaction with your loved ones when photographing them.
During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best new photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to answer the reflection questions or add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes?
Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. On August 13, Eric will provide critiques on the photos and announce the winners of STREET CLUB SUMMER 2018
HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy, Eric
P.S. Use STREET HUNT as our school “textbook” to complete assignments, share photos and reflections, and receive feedback. It is not mandatory to purchase Street Hunt, but it would be useful and valuable to have a printed or mobile edition copy to follow along and write down notes.
The summer school begins July 2, 2018 and winners will be announced August 12, 2018. Feel free to continue posting new photos and comments in previous week’s assignments!
Assignment 4: Loved Ones
- ONE PHOTO OF YOUR LOVED ONE EVERY DAY: Photograph your loved one in the morning, while they are working, when you go to the coffee shop or dinner together. Then at the end of 1 week, choose your three best photos which tell the story of your loved one and (also share it with them).
- MIRRORS AND REFLECTIONS: Photograph your loved ones through mirrors or reflections. Try to do a self-portrait of yourself and your loved one. This will put your soul in the photograph and help remind you of the good times you’ve had together.
Purpose: We hope that this assignment can remind you to photograph those closest and most meaningful to us (friends, family, partner, children). By directing our ‘street photography’ eye and dedication to our loved ones, we can also find more joy and appreciation in our everyday lives!
- How did I integrate street photography techniques when photographing my loved ones?
- How did I feel a deeper connection with my loved ones when I photograph them?
- What type of story or emotion am I trying to convey through my photo?