STREET CLUB Summer 2018 Assignment 3: Elderly

Updated on August 12, 2018 in Critique
134 on July 17, 2018

Video Review:

Great job so far for Street Hunt (Assignment 1 Cafe and Assignment 2 Park)! For Assignment 3, we wanted to inspire everyone to engage with their subjects and get close by photographing the elderly. Try to take photos with and without permission. Ask your subject “What is your life story?” and photograph them while they speak to you.

Each Monday, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best new photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to answer the reflection questions or add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes?

Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday, Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy, Eric (Annette, and Jennifer– currently here together at HAPTICLABS Saigon office!)

P.S. Use STREET HUNT as our school “textbook” to complete assignments, share photos and reflections, and receive feedback. It is not mandatory to purchase Street Hunt, but it would be useful and valuable to have a printed or mobile edition copy to follow along and write down notes.

The summer school begins July 2, 2018 and winners will be announced August 13, 2018. Feel free to continue posting new photos and comments in previous week’s assignments!

Assignment 3: Elderly

• LAUGHING PHOTO: Ask your subject to stand against a simple background. Tell them a bad joke to get them to laugh or you can ask them “Can I get a photo of you laughing? Think about a happy life experience.” You can also start fake laughing to get them to mimic you (Eric Kim technique for approaching strangers). Photographing elderly people laughing can bring a huge smile to yourself and joy to your subject!
  • TEXTURE & NATURAL LIGHT: If your subject has beautiful wrinkles on their face, ask them to stand next to a window or in front of a doorway and photograph them with natural light. Experiment shooting with -1 exposure compensation to draw out more textures in their wrinkles.
  • HANDS & HAND GESTURES: make a portrait of your subject by just photographing their hands. Ask them to do different hand gestures (crossing their fingers, putting their hands on their chin or forehead). Don’t show their face, show their soul through their hands.

Purpose: We hope that this assignment can encourage you to engage with subjects and learn from other’s life stories.

Reflection Questions:

1. How did it feel approaching the elderly to take their photo?
  2. How did the emotions of my subjects change after I photographed them?
  3. How were some of the most interesting stories I learned from engaging with elderly subjects?

Example photo (Laughing photo):

• Liked by
  • MarkVolz
0 on July 17, 2018

Have fun yall! 🙂

• Liked by
Cancel
8 on July 18, 2018

Amber. 85 years old: artist, jewelry maker in the summer, substitute teacher fall through spring. Will keep working on this project and hope to post 1 or 2 more later.

on July 19, 2018

Hello Geoff,

Great job on finding interesting character and positioning her against clean background.Crouching down and looking up was good choice you did,but I wish she was making eye contact and not looking away from the frame.Her eyes,make up and piercing bring interest to the image and need to be shown.Probably a vertical orientation and making her look down would be an improvement.As a plus her necklace would add context.

on July 19, 2018

Hi Geoff.  I really love the surrealism in your photo.  Nice choice of color, background, and lighting.  I think the photo would have been better if the subject’s head was facing a bit more forward rather than up, and a crop that allowed me to see a bit more of her upper body.  One other change that might work is placing the subject a bit off center and adding a slight tilt.

on July 23, 2018

Great shot…very impressive the figure of this woman. The angle you made it favours a lot to show these expressions of her face.

on July 24, 2018

That’s a good shot Geoff. It’s in its imperfections where the image holds the viewer.

on July 25, 2018

Hi Geoff,

I like the angle you used. I also love the color, the puce green with her lavender top and eyshadow . her lipstick and bra strap also match 🙂 With the contrast of her jet hair and jewelry, it works really well!

on July 26, 2018

Hi Geoff – this one grabs my eye every time I skim over this page.. nice job. I like the contrast of the subject against the background – I see blue and purple against yellow. It’s engaging and unusual – and the pose and low angle also adds. Nice job.

on July 29, 2018

I really like the way that you have captured her spirit here. The angle is great, the colors are gorgeous, and her youthful soul shines through the wrinkles and sagging skin. 

on August 5, 2018

I really like this photo, the person and your POV… …. she seems wonderfully wild and creative spirit 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
13 on July 18, 2018

Laughing Photo

Elderly Men

Hands and Hand Gestures

on July 19, 2018

Hi Eric! I like all four. The third one is interesting, but for some reason the wires and the the way the length of the cigarette runs along one of the wires is distracting for me. I like the puff of smoke coming out of his mouth. I like the simplicity and colour of the 4th photo. The 2nd photo is intriguing- is he a teacher? A coach? Why does he have those photos with him in the park. Does the guy on the right relate to your subject’s story? I just want to learn more. The first is my favourite. I love the way the leading lines in the buildings lead to your subject’s face. It’s wonderful! Great POV. Nice close shot. And he has such character. Love that one! 

on July 19, 2018

Hi Geoff and thank you for your comments and suggestions.  I made some changes to the photo of the man smoking – removing the wires and adding a bit more sharpness on the eyes.  The 2nd photo is of a man I bumped into while walking in the park.  He is 97 years old, spoke very little English, and wanted to share his family photo album with me.  The guy in the background relates to my story because he adds context – another elderly person in the park.

on July 19, 2018

Hello Eric,

I like your images!But if I have to choose only one,my choice goes to the second photo.The photo album speaks a lot! I don’t think the man on the bench,especially for his pose,adds anything to the story. I like your choice of BW.

As of the smoking photo,I like that man’s expression and it’s too bad the cigarette is over one of the wires…I don’t think cloning out the wires is an option.Of course ,there are no rules in street photography,but maybe only one :”If something is there ,is there.”That’s what makes this genre so hard.

Good tonal contrast with the last image and focus on the hands.Maybe a little tilt of the camera and Dutch angle to avoid the very straight lines.

on July 19, 2018

Hi Eric. I really do like the photo without the wires. I know post production of street photography is controversial. Is it okay to enhance contrast? How about altering the skin tone of your subject? What about enhancing the colour? If you were doing photojournalism, I would be abosolutely against modification. But I consider what we are doing as art. If it conveys your message, then it’s successful. Cheers. I love the revised version. 

on July 19, 2018

Hi Streeftun.  Thank you for your comments.  Regarding the man on the bench – I think he adds some context to the park scene.  I also like how his gaze brings the viewer back to the main subject in the foreground.  The man on the bench is not a very strong aspect of the photo, but perhaps a bit better than an empty bench.  Regarding rules of street photography.  I agree that there is a line and making too many “changes” might cross the line.  I do not believe that removing the wires, in this case, crosses the line.  Some people might disagree with me and that’s fine.

on July 19, 2018

Hi Geoff.  Thanks for the follow up reaction to my photo without the wires.  I agree that street photographers have the freedom to make some modifications to their photos in post production.  I do not believe there are hard and fast rules dictating how much or which types of modifications are acceptable.  I believe, however, that the removal of the wires in my photo are an acceptable modification.  Some people might disagree with me and that’s fine.

on July 20, 2018

**Update: Eric and I are a bit swamped this week (Eric is teaching a workshop in Singapore and I have a conference, so we will extend the Assignment 3 challenge one additional week (until July 29) and post the Assignment 2 video review up soon! Thank you for understanding! <3 Street Club will continue until August 12th!

on July 23, 2018

Hi Eric D. Like your photos…but the best one in my oppinion os the last one. It´s a great shot and I´m wondering here if it´d look better in b&w. But this is just a guess.

on July 25, 2018

Hi Eric,

I like all of your photos, particularly the man with the book. It evokes another time and I like the other man looking on. Also the photo of the man smoking, I agree with Geoff, the wires were a little distracting and the removal mad a much improved capture, that is quite good, the expression and the puff of smoke are spot on! 

on July 26, 2018

Hi Eric – nice job with these shots. My favourite is actually the first one – laughing photo. I actually like seeing the subject in the middle of the frame as the vanishing lines of the enclosing buildings leads my eye into the character of the subjects face. Maybe a couple more seconds later and the people in background might have cleared the frame (for me they don’t add any value here). Great shot dude! 

on July 29, 2018

Once again I am blown away by your images #jealous #wanttobeyou. The first and the third are standouts among standouts. I’m glad that we’ve connected on Instagram. I am really enjoying your work and learning from it.

on July 31, 2018

Some super clicks !
First – I like the subject. Quite expressive. The beard gives the oomph. The placement of the subject is quite good.
Second – I like the addition of the man sitting behind on the bench. Adds intrigue and a layer. If the front person’s face could have been captured a bit more, it would have been great.
Third – Bit of distractions around. However, i like the puff of smoke and the creases on the forehead

on August 5, 2018

Hi Eric … i like your images …. especially the old man that is smoking. Personally I would have made it less saturated. I also like the guy that is reading while he is walking in park …. makes you wonder what is so important. Finally I like the expressing and the leading lines in the photo of the man smiling 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 23, 2018

hello everyone, this is first time i joint since registered on this forum

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 23, 2018
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on July 23, 2018
on July 23, 2018

I liked this photograph (2nd one) as it´s a dynamic one: face and hands expressions.

on July 24, 2018

i took this photo while I talked to her

on July 24, 2018

Composition in this photograph is great. Somewhat reminds me of my neighbor — only more friendly looking.

on July 25, 2018

Hi ijul,

I like all of your photos. The light in the 2nd photo is really nice . My favorite is the 3rd one. Her outfit , gesture and expression make you wonder about her 🙂  

on July 25, 2018

Hi ijul,
I like all of your portraits.But I think the 2nd is the closest one to the assignment.I like his smile,the very well lit face and the simplified colors,the orange shirt against the blue background.
The 3rd photo I like for its dynamic and framing.It seems the lighting was challenging,especially because of her glasses and hat.Lovely colors and hand gesture.

on July 26, 2018

Hi Ijul – I like your images – this one gets my vote as your strongest composition. I like the hand gesture (suggests movement] and the subject exudes character. The bright clothing sits well in the darkness of the building’s interior but the colours to either side of the door frame anchor the shot and tie nicely to clothing. Bravo!

on July 29, 2018

Hi ijul! I really like the second and the third photo, but the the second one is a great piece of work!! Everything is right, composition, figure to ground, lights, colors. Perfect!

on July 29, 2018

I like all the images but the first and the third especially captured my attention. The first because of the lighting, the colors, and the depth of emotion in the face and the third because of the angle, the expression and once again, the colors. Really nice work

on July 31, 2018

The third picture stands out ! I love the hand jutting out, facial expression, placement of the subject, and the colours !

on August 12, 2018

Second photo has this realy unusual light from below, that makes it so special, and the third photo with beautiful colour tones, I like them wery much.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 23, 2018

Bearded John. São João Del Rey, MG-Brasil. A happy encounter (at least for me as far my aims in portraiture are concerned). 

on July 24, 2018

This is fantastic. The light, shadows, color, and focus are all great. Wonderful work!

on July 25, 2018

Hi Amozeto, 

Great color, looking at this color backround with the blue and white of his shirt and his white beard has a very watery, cooling and serene effect.Good use of light too!

on July 25, 2018

Wonderful environmental portrait!

on July 27, 2018

Hi Amozeto.  A very intense portrait that draws and keeps my attention.  I like the minimalistic background, lighting, and cropping.

on July 29, 2018

What a character. I love the intensity of his expression, the warm tones of his beard against the cool tones of the background, and the way you have him posed slightly to the left of the frame. But my favorite bit is how this new generation of elderly have redefined what it means to be elderly. This man does not seem frail in any way and his style harkens back to his youth. For this guy, age is definitely just a number

on July 29, 2018

Hi Amozeto! The man has very intense and expressive gaze and attract the attention, but what makes the picture work is the background, its color and minimalism!

on July 31, 2018

Thank you all for the most generous comments to the portrait I’ve posted to the Street Club’s assigment. They all contain important aspects of learning to keep my photography going. Thanks again!!!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
12 on July 23, 2018

This is Jeanne , 79 yr young pole dancer. She’s my student in a body sustainability class I teach.She has a lust for life and vivacious personality and I admire her greatly. She wanted to show me her bruised abdomen after giving herself blood thinning injections

on July 24, 2018
on July 24, 2018

Vicki, these are great photos. These have that great street photo quality of vintage grain. Were these taken using a camera without a rangefinder?

on July 24, 2018

Hi Blacksheeplawyer, Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I used my fuji xt2 with 18-55 lens @18

on July 27, 2018

The picture of her stomach is great. There are many interesting details and marks that tell a nice story. I notice one thing and would like to know your thoughts, do you think having the hands in the frame would make the picture better? I am not sure but it popped into my head. I really liked these photos and look forward to the next ones. 

on July 27, 2018

Hi Vicki,
These both images are great,but the second one is more interesting to me!I love the crop and framing of that tattoo.Great texture,and the processing is done very well to bring it.

on July 27, 2018

Hi Vicki.  I love the close up of the tummy and tattoo.  Keep up the good work!

on July 27, 2018

Thank you all for the feedback, appreciate it! Astromarinaio, Hmmm, maybe I should have captured her hands, this photo happened so quickly I didn’t have time to think 🙂 She just pulled up her shirt to show me the bruises and I pressed the shutter! 🙂 

on July 29, 2018

Hi Vicki, I like more the second photo, it has a very documentaristic approach! The focus and the bnw is right!

on July 29, 2018

I love the images and the backstory! 79 and she’s still got it all going on. Inspirational.

on July 29, 2018

Thank you Lisa and Zarma!

on July 31, 2018

I love the first photo. So expressive and an unusual angle ! You want to look at it again and again ! Well done !

on July 31, 2018

Thank you Chandra!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 24, 2018

Not exactly elderly, but on the cusp. This gentleman was a mentor to me during my days at law school in New Jersey. Sadly, he passed in the last few months in his 70’s. I will miss him sorely.

One of my favorite photos. Used a vintage push-pull lens that was sticky and rather in need of a CLA.

A faint glimmer of mirth after getting into a conversation with San Francisco’s homeless…

on July 25, 2018

Hi Blacksheeplawyer,

I like all of your photos, the 2nd is my favorite, it evokes emotion and has the qualities of a Dorthea Lang or Mary Ellen Mark, well done! 

on July 27, 2018

Hi Blacksheeplawyer,
Excellent portraits!My favorite is the second one for its composition and the story it tells.Probably these hand had been working hard and long years…
I like the chipped tooth smile of the homeless person,but wished I could see some more from his face.The closed eyes work great in this case,I hear hhis natural laughter.

on July 29, 2018

Like them all but my favorite is the first photo. Excellent composition. A lovely tribute to a seemingly wonderful soul.  

on July 31, 2018

Love the stoic expression and the moustache in the first photo. Since the face is not carrying much expression, it would have been great to perhaps step back and include more of the hat so as to bring some more interesting elements into the picture

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
9 on July 26, 2018

132 Years – this storekeeper told me his modest corner convenience store had been kept by three generations of his family for the last 132 years. Sadly he would one day have to close the shutter for one last time. The silver lining is that his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have much better prospects thanks to his hard work and helped by economic progress of his era.

I enjoyed talking to this man, he was happy and enthusiastic to share his story – I feel proud that I made a fair and honest portrait of this gentleman which will hopefully be around in another 132 years! 

[Lumix GX8 + adapted Nikkor Ai-S 24mm f2]

on July 26, 2018

Millie,79 years old,workout hero

on July 26, 2018

Mona,71 years.She told me wit aging she started laughing more.

on July 27, 2018

Both photos have lovely expressions and subjects. In the first photo, I wish the fist and elbow were in the frame because I feel like it would give a more complete image. That being said it is very, very good and my favorite that you have taken so far 🙂

on July 27, 2018

Hi Streetfun – I prefer the first photo over your second one. I like the expression and that the subject (Millie) is facing away from the camera. Could possibly be a stronger photo with a more simpler background? 👏

on July 27, 2018

@damian
Hi,Damian,
I like the photo of that gentleman and his story.He looks relaxed and confident with your camera.I see he’s proud of what he’s done.I like the placement of your subject and how that string divides the frame,but I wished a little further away from his face.Nice work!

on July 27, 2018

Hi Damian.  I like the black and white portrait because it’s intimate, and well composed.  The off center position of the man and blurry background works well for this photo.  I am slightly distracted by the white object near the man’s head.

on July 29, 2018

@damien I like the placement of your subject in the left side of the frame, the shot more from the side than head on and the use of black and white to set the tone. Poignant story both of the success that has given his children a bright future juxtaposed against closing the door on the past

on July 29, 2018

@streetfun You have found two great characters who are bursting with life and captured them beautifully. I especially like Millie. I’m a generation younger but no where near as fit. She’s an inspiration. You have a good eye for interesting people and a talent for interacting with them. You might want to consider an ‘elderly’ series that shows this vibrant side of 70+

on July 31, 2018

Good clicks !

In the first photo, I like the expression of the man, especially his eyes. Would have been great to get something on the right side of the photo to make it more interesting. 

Second photo – I would have positioned him towards a side rather than the centre. His muscle display is nice.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 27, 2018

Laughing/Portrait: 

Hands: 

on July 27, 2018

Hi astromarinaio – your first photo makes me smile too! Nice capture. To me the second photo is more engaging – I like the bold contrasts and the detail of the arms against the flat black background. I wonder who those arms belong to and what his face is doing. Leaves it up to the viewers imagination. Nice one 👍

on July 29, 2018

I very much like the hands photo. The arms tell a story of a lifetime with their wrinkles, loose skin, and age spots. Wonderful composition 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 27, 2018

Portrait: Andrei

Sorry for the double post 🙂 

on July 31, 2018

Awesome portrait. The use of light is great !

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on July 29, 2018

Hands and Hand Gestures

Texture and Natural Light

Laughing Photo   

on July 29, 2018

All the three photos are very nice (the last one is very funny!), but the first one is my favourite, the gestures, the smiles, the expressions of the two people, everything is right!!

on July 29, 2018

Hi Lisa, 

I like looking at your photos. I agree with Zarma that the first one is very good, but in the second one, the expression of the man and his eyes are very captivating. Add to the the vulnerability of his bare chest, and the wonderful lighting. I love this photo! 

on July 29, 2018

Hi Lisa.  Great portrait photos!  All three photos work well together as a mini-series.  Each photo has a background that provides some context and aesthetic qualities.  I like that you were relatively close to your subjects which creates more intimacy.  My favorite is the second photo.  I am taken in by the subjects gaze and stretched arms.

on July 30, 2018

@Zarma Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

on July 30, 2018

@Geoff His pose in that light was the unexpected treasure of the day. Thank you for your kind compliment

on July 30, 2018

@edavidove Thank you so much for the love. I am pushing myself to move closer to people to better showcase their essence. It scares me, but the closer I get, the happier I am with the resulting image.

on August 2, 2018

Hello Lisa,
I like all of your images,but the second one is my fav for the simple composition -natuatally almost monotone,untraditional point of view,nice expression and choosing something different from the face as the main point of interest ,in your case the chest.I only would crop out a bit from the left site,to get rid of that bright spot.
In your 3rd photo,the character is interesting,love her smile,you used Dutch angle very well.I wish that brightest spot wasn’t on her foot but hand or face.Nice work!

on August 4, 2018

@Streetfun Thank you for your kind and supportive feedback. I have taken on your suggestion in the second photo as the bright spot was indeed a distraction 

I have darkened the bright spot on the leg and foot area in the third photo in an attempt to improve it but you are right, it would have been a better shot if the light was on her face or hand.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 29, 2018

Hi everybody!

I took these photos of my grandpa, hope you like them 😀

LAUGHING:

TEXTURES:

HANDS GESTURES:

on July 29, 2018

I really like the soup Photo. I think the lighting is wonderful and the composition really works well! But my favourite is the phone photo. So many pics today of people on cell phones, and they rarely show much expression. This is a really wonderful snippet in time. 

on July 31, 2018

I like the first photo. Gives a story. And the elements are well placed. The second one is also nice and makes you think what the elederly man may be thinking . Good angle.

on August 2, 2018

thank you so much @Geoff and @Chandra for your beautiful comments, they are very accurate and helpful! They give me the chance to look at my photos with another perspective!

on August 2, 2018

Awesome portraits with great retro feeling!Love the POV in the second one and the interesting context brought by the soup Imgur.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 29, 2018

He looks like quite a character. Love the retro feel of the compositions and the placement of your grandpa in the second

on July 29, 2018

Thank you! I really care about these and other photos of my grandpa. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 29, 2018

This week I did not have much time cause of death in the family. I did manage to take two shots: TEXTURE & NATURAL LIGHT and HANDS & HAND GESTURES

on July 29, 2018

on July 29, 2018

Hi majmanczak,I like this dancing photo !The main couple is framed very well,I like the contrast,the depth and how you used the background.

on July 29, 2018

Thank you Streetfun 🙂

on July 29, 2018

I like both the dancing picture and the contrast of the elder womans youth dress with a cap and a I love Malmø bag

on July 30, 2018

Am sorry to hear about the death in your family. Both your images are beautiful and quite different. I like the feeling of the fleeting moment in the first and the intimacy in the second. 

on July 31, 2018

The dancing photo is lovely ! Good composition !

on August 2, 2018

I really like the second photo, it has something “more”! I think the expressions of the people are decisive!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on July 29, 2018

Okay, was able to do one more. Hand photo. 

on July 29, 2018

Geoff I like this … especially the second hand … WHO’s hand is it and why is it on the ground? I also like the slighty torn shit …

on July 30, 2018

I am with @majmanczak on that mysterious second hand. Also like the connection between the first hand belonging to a person who seems down on his luck and his faithful, weathered companion.

on July 30, 2018

Hmmmm… Perhaps it’s best to leave the second hand a mystery. Does it diminish things to know both hands and worn sleeves belong to the same gentleman? He is sitting on the sidewalk, next to his dog, Sugar, leaning on his left hand while his right pats Sugar’s head after she has just growled at a passerby’s dog

on July 30, 2018

The mystery and the reality both make good stories. The perspective in the photograph is gorgeous either way

on July 31, 2018

Geoff, this is a wonderful photo. Loved the composition

on August 2, 2018

Ah,this is fantastic!Love everything!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 29, 2018
on July 29, 2018

Man on Beach,Denmark …. 60 years old, works with theatre production rights

on July 30, 2018

Fantastic angle! Love the gut, the tattoo, and most of all, the attitude. Bravo!

on July 30, 2018

Really like the light, the shape of his arm and the angle. Love the fact this guy is outside without a shirt, perhaps in his bathing suit, but still wearing that nice watch! 

on July 31, 2018

Really interesting. And an unusual angle ! Well done

on August 12, 2018

Very nice, clean and simple, right angle, perfect.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 31, 2018
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 31, 2018
on August 2, 2018

Two beautiful submissions. The first one is very eye catching and makes one stop to do a double take. Love the subject and his posture agai st a simple but bold background. The second one is a captivating moment frozen in time. Nice work.

on August 2, 2018

Thank you for your kind words !

I also read your profile and a quick scan through your blog. Really interesting ! And so much varied experiences ! would love to spend time going through your blog.

on August 2, 2018

Hello Chandra!Love the blue portrait!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel