STREET CLUB Summer 2018 Assignment 2: Park

Updated 2 days ago in Critique
148 on July 10, 2018

Great job on the first Street Hunt (Assignment 1 Cafe)! For Assignment 2, we wanted to encourage everyone to take advantage of the beautiful summer weather and take a stroll through a park! We hope that taking a walk in the park will spark your creativity and help you to focus on details and textures, composition, and interact with others who are at the park.

Each Monday, I will post the assignment here. During the week, complete the assignment and upload your 1-3 best new photos from the week to this thread. Feel free to answer the reflection questions or add your own reflections on the assignment: What were your challenges and successes?

Each photo you upload, you must provide constructive critique on 3 other photos uploaded. At the end of the week on Sunday, Eric and I will choose our favorite images and explain why.

HAVE FUN! Love, Cindy, Eric (Annette, and Jennifer– currently here together at HAPTICLABS Saigon office!)

P.S. Use STREET HUNT as our school “textbook” to complete assignments, share photos and reflections, and receive feedback. It is not mandatory to purchase Street Hunt, but it would be useful and valuable to have a printed or mobile edition copy to follow along and write down notes.

1) If you can afford to purchase Street Hunt, pick one up in our HAPTIC SHOP (Print Edition / Mobile Edition) or on Amazon.com. By purchasing Street Hunt, the proceeds also will go towards offsetting the price of Street Hunt for students who do not have the resources to purchase it themselves.

2) If you are a student and cannot afford to purchase Street Hunt, follow these instructions to receive a free copy of STREET HUNT MOBILE EDITION. (Limited to the first 50 students).

3) Sign up and post to the free ERIC KIM FORUM 1 photograph and 3 constructive, honest, helpful critiques of other’s photographs.

4) Send me an e-mail at hapticindustries@gmail.com linking to those posts.

Complete this by July 15, 2018 and I will e-mail you a copy of Street Hunt Mobile Edition.

The summer school will begin July 2, 2018 and winners will be announced August 12, 2018.

Assignment 2: PARK

• DIAGONALS, DUTCH ANGLE, TILT YOUR CAMERA: Find a tree and try to create an aggressive diagonal composition. Use the “Dutch Angle” and tilt your head, camera, to emphasize the diagonal line of a tree. Get the tree to connect with the bottom left of your frame, extending to the top right of your frame. Also make the same photograph, and make the tree come from the bottom right of the frame and connect to the top left of the frame.
  • TEXTURE & TOUCH: Find different textures to photograph in the park. Photograph something smooth, rough, stones, leaves, twigs. Before you photograph it, try touching it. This will give you a ‘haptic’ experience and give you a memory of the subject you photographed.
  • PARK BENCHES & PEOPLE: Photograph people in the park taking a walk or sitting on park benches. Try to shoot photographs with and without permission. Ask the subject about their day, what they enjoy about the park, or if they have suggestions for other nice parks to photograph. Use the park bench to practice your diagonal composition.

Purpose: We hope that this assignment can encourage you to take a walking photo meditation and balance your ‘street’ photos with other types of landscapes you might not have thought to photograph. Also, we love parks and conversing with strangers in the park about their life story.

Reflection Questions:

1. How did it feel approaching strangers in a park?
  2. What new composition techniques did you practice in the park?
  3. How did touching an object and then photographing it change your sensory approach to making a photo?

• Liked by
  • Howwls
  • edmundoa
0 on July 11, 2018

Thanks Cindy! Here’s the page from STREET HUNT

• Liked by
Cancel
10 on July 11, 2018

Here are the 4 photos made today at a local park.

People at the Park

Texture and Touch

Diagonal – Dutch Angle

on July 13, 2018

All great images, with your last three bringing it home for me. Your second people image is a work of art! The varying layers (wall, grid, silhouette) making it jump off the page. Enviable perfection. And in the texture and touch piece, I can almost feel the rough bark and the smooth building walls. I love the way the pink tones carry through the image. Finally, the lines in your dutch angle are simple yet elegant. 

on July 13, 2018

Hello Eric!I like your use of diagonals in the first image.The sunbathing man crossing the frame diagonally,the girl in the background in another short line in opposite direction,the shades creating diagonal framing.Nice and relaxing mood in this image.Have you considered a bw version to simplify the composition and make the lines pop up?

on July 13, 2018

Eric D: I liked your first photo…I’d like to see in b&w…I’m just guessing but it may turn a nive b&w…

on July 13, 2018

Here is a black and white version of my first photo, as requested by Streetfun and Amozeto.

on July 13, 2018

Hi Eric! 

Although I like them all, the second one is my favourite. It’s unique, interesting and so well composed! Wonderful! 

on July 13, 2018

I like the bw better!

on July 14, 2018

Hi Eric!

I love the first one in color, it has a very whimsical feel and I think that is lost with the bw version but that’s just my opinion 🙂 

your second one is fantastic in BW , I love the drama of the silhouette against the stark white of the back round with the lines/ texture of the tower. 

Nice color and light in your 3rd and I like the simplicity with the angel in your last one, well done!

on July 15, 2018

Hi Eric! I really like your second photo of people at the park: the figure to ground is great and was a good idea to convert the shot in b&w, in order to emphasize the contrast between the subject and the background. Then, there are those vertical and orizontal lines, which give more balance to the whole picture I think, because they seem like a sketch of the rule of thirds. But what I like the most of this photo is the frame within the frame, it’s just perfect and the “little house” gives me the sensation of a “japanese” atmosphere. Very nice shot!

on July 15, 2018

Thank you for your comments, opinions, and suggestions.

6 days ago

Here is a black and white version of my first photo, as requested by Streetfun and Amozeto.

From Eric D

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 12, 2018

Hi everyone!

Here’s some photos I took in Vancouver, Canada.

First one, I try a big “dutch angle”, the 2nd I call it peaceful moment. I was to shy to ask the man… The 3rd photoit’s texture, and there is a lot! The last photo is people in the park…

Thanks,

Johanne

on July 13, 2018

My favorite images are the second and fourth. In the second, I almost feel as If I am standing behind the person sitting on the bench with the visuals on the horizon soothing my soul.  In the fourth, I like how the puppy is more in the center (but a bit to the left) and its companion is running to the left and outside of the frame. I’ve just come to the realization that I tend to put my subjects in the center and this image has given me insight as to the beauty that can be created with a simple shift in perspective.

on July 13, 2018

Hello Johanne!
Beautiful scenery in your second image.Nice lines in the horizon and in the cort as well.Maybe next time you may expose for the bench,since the man is in deep shade and not well defined.Also try avoiding overlapping,so that pine tree in the background is not right behind the man.

on July 13, 2018

In your third image I like the patterns created by all those rocks and humans figures.Cool curve line also.I wish there was one main figure making your focal point.Then the image would be more interesting.I’m sure there’s lots of texture to feel there..Did you try a close up shot?

on July 13, 2018

Hi Johanne, 

I am excited to see some pics from my part of the world! I like that you see palm fronds in the first, but I think it would be more interesting if there was something in the shot to say these palm fronds were in Canada- perhaps someone with a maple leaf shirt, or a flag somewhere. I like the other photos, but I’m really torn by the third one. On one hand, I don’t care for the tilted horizon. But I love the activity, the little groups, and the backdrop. The inukshuk in the top right corner is a great anchor, but the composition seems just a little off.  I hope it’s okay that I played with your photo. I tried straightening the photo and zooming in a little, but the inukshuk is too close to the edge, but it shows you what I am thinking. I would revisit this site, watch the composition and wait for there to be some interesting activity. Plus, what a beautiful place to sit and wait. 

on July 15, 2018

Hi Johanne!

My favourite shot of yours is the third one, because has lot of things going on, there is a good and interesting depth, foreground, background, and it’s a very nice atmosphere. The only “problem” for me would be the tilted horizon, which creates no balance in the shot, so I totally agree with Geoff, even for cutting a little the photo, in order to delete the man on the right and the ship on the left corner, which would be sth distracting. 

on July 15, 2018

Thank you everyone for these comments, it’s very useful!

on July 15, 2018

It’s great to see your photos of the sea wall and the Northshore mountains. I like your image of the man on the bench. If you were able to get a little bit more behind him to center him between the 2 trees I think it would look outstanding.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
22 on July 13, 2018

Thank you for the insightful lesson. Each exercise (dutch angle, texture and touch, and people) evolved my thinking about composition and facing fears.  For this assignment, I visited a park-like island village where the lemurs roam freely and the only thing that moves more slowly than the turtles is time.

Dutch Angle 

Texture and Touch

Texture and Touch

People

on July 13, 2018

Hi Lisa.  That “park” looks very interesting.  My favorite photo is the one of the “people.”  I like that you squatted down and shot the photo from the eye level of the child.  As if the photo is through the eyes of another child looking at these “people.”  This approach really helps keep the attention on the child in the photo.  I also like that the woman is holding a fish.  I am distracted a bit by the white line (wire).  Maybe you can erase it?

on July 13, 2018

A maple leaf on a park bench at São Joaquim-SC, Brasil. A night mobiography at winter days in Brasil.

on July 13, 2018

Hello Lisadorenfest!
Another set of beautiful images!I like the tones of your tree image,the point of view on the turtle image and the details on the lemur.But my favorite one is the last image!Authentick portrait of that mother and her child,beautifully exposed sky and overall tones.I like the fish in her hand.But what makes this image interesting for me is that wire in the sky,which looks like a string attached to the basket.I like such imperfections!

on July 13, 2018

Thanks for the feedback @edavidove  Spot on. Here is the versions sans wire

on July 13, 2018

Oh yeah!  Much improved.

on July 13, 2018

Lisa, I’m just in love with this photo! I like everything from the perspective to the colour to the pose, the bare feet, the fish, the expression on the child. On and on. I just love it. (I do like it better without the wire). 

on July 13, 2018

The turtle and the people are amazing! I like the composition of both shots and I really like how you got down to capture the subjects. Great work!

on July 13, 2018

@streetfun – Delighted by your very kind feedback.  Your love of imperfection has me giving my first version an appreciative second look. 

on July 13, 2018

@Geoff You’ve made my day with your generous compliments on the People image. Thank you so much.

on July 13, 2018

@astromarinaio As one who has done way too much ‘front and center’ photography, I’ve been working at improving the angles in my compositions. So I very much appreciate your affirmative feedback. Thank you.

on July 14, 2018

Lisa, 

Beautiful images! I love them all, my favorite is the last one of the woman with the child. The edit of removing the wire above was well done as well! I love that she is wearing a Brooklyn t shirt, it somehow gives the viewer a look into her culture and how influence of distant cities finds its way into lives of those far far away. Great job! 

on July 14, 2018

Hi Lisa!

I love these! The expression color and light in the photo of the Woman holding a single fish with her child is spot on with the suggestion from Eric to erase the wire. Your photo of the turtle made me do a double take, at first glance, I thought it was a sculpture in a park, amazing shot. I also love the lemur?, the texture of the hair makes me want to touch it 🙂

on July 14, 2018

@Howwls Her t-shirt was the icing on the cake, linking my world to hers as hail from NYC. And she definitely embodies Brooklyn powerful soul Thank you for your kind feedback 🙂

on July 14, 2018

@vickiseabrook 🙂 Thank you for all the love. The lemurs are quite soft to the touch thank goodness. One of the lemurs leaped from a roof into my face as he made his way to the bananas may partner was holding. Felt like someone had thrown a stuffed animal at my face.  

on July 15, 2018

Hi Lisa!

very nice job with all your photos! I like them all 😀 The one with the turtle is even very funny! The last photo works indeed better without wire.

on July 15, 2018

Hi Lisa! Nice work, I like the turtle and your last photo. Maybe I’m loving too much the “dutch angle” but I would have try to put the trees more in the corner. 

on July 15, 2018

@Zarma Thank you so much. I was trying to show off the turtle’s bravado :-). And I got lucky that he was munching on a banana which made him look like he was giving me a toothy smiling (turtles do not have teeth).  

on July 15, 2018

@Johanne Thank you for your feedback! You are right on with your comment on the tree. I will have to give it another shot when I visit there again in August.

7 days ago

Hi Lisa! My favorite is the one with the child and the old woman. The contrast with the blue sky and the strong expression of the old woman is amazing, and the shadow in her face gives her something mystical. 

6 days ago

Hi Lisa. Love your of the old woman and the child …. could be a typical scene from Africa where I have lived for many years. The POV of this photo and the turtle are both great.   

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 13, 2018

Sorry folks…posted my pic in a wrong place….antonio (amozeto).

on July 13, 2018

Gorgeous image Antonio! I can feel autumn’s departure and the winter’s chill.  

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
6 on July 13, 2018

These were taken at Butchart Gardens this morning. Probably one of the most photographed gardens in the world. So, maybe I made this harder for myself, but I tried to stay away from “typical” garden shots. 

Dutch Angle

Bench

Person/Bench

Bench/Smooth Texture/Devishly Handsome Person

on July 14, 2018

Hi Geoff.  I’m glad you tried to stay away from the typical garden shots and endeavored to make more unique and interesting photos.  My favorite photo is the one of the two benches.  I like how you captured the light and shadow, and introduced some nice patterns and lines.

on July 15, 2018

Hello Geoff,

I liked your Dutch Angle image. Definitely more interesting then usual garden shots that we see.The dog looks like another figure  on the chess board :). The crop and the BW choice add good amount of abstracting the image,which works in that way.Well thought and done image!

Nice framing in your bench image!But as a street photographer my eye craves a human element there.

on July 15, 2018

Hi Geoff,

My favourite photo is the bench one. nice framing, contrast, and it looks very classy in bnw.

on July 15, 2018

Hi !

Nice garden! I like the “dutch angle” one and the colors in your last photo.  

6 days ago

Hi Geoff, your dog POV is brilliant. 

6 days ago

Also the classic merry-go-round image 🙂 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 13, 2018

I especially enjoyed the mystery in both the bench and merry-go-round images. The use of black and white deepens the mood.  I also like the way you brought together all the elements of the exercise in your devilishly handsome last image ;-).

on July 14, 2018

Hi Geoff,

My favorite is the park bench. Great shadows which highlight vertical and diagonal lines. it also has a mysterious quality to it.  I really also like the way you captured the reflection in your last photo, Have you played around with a vignette or blurring the back round ? It might look interesting to soften the edges so the roundness of the reflection is accentuated even more, like the effect of a lensball? 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
10 on July 14, 2018

Texture / Touch

People

Dutch Angle – I don’t think this works somehow for this image, it’s a bit disturbing like shes going to slide off the bench

on July 14, 2018

Hi Vickiseabrook.  My favorite photo is the dutch angle.  I like how you used the shadows as your diagonal lines.  I wish you the person on the bench was larger and established as a more prominent part of your overall composition.

on July 14, 2018

Hi Eric, Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.  

on July 14, 2018

All good. Love the expression on the dogs face in the first and the shadows in the third. But my favorite is the second image. The placement of the dancer in the right of the frame with the on-lookers behind gives her a sense of vulnerability. Her body language enhances it as does the smile on the face of the man behind her.  

on July 14, 2018

Thanks Lisa!

on July 15, 2018

Hi Lisa, I agree with both Eric and Lisa, but my fave is the dancer. To echo Lisa, I really like the vulnerability you were able to capture. 

on July 15, 2018

Hello Vicki, I like your dancer image!Good use of triangle composition ,created by the dancer and the other two men.I like how you managed to capture her facial expression and her arms.it looks like the light was a little tricky and the image looks soft,but probably that was what you felt.

on July 15, 2018

Hi!

Wow ! I love the dutch angle with the lines. I see contrast with mouvement they are making and the stilness of the person… bravo!

6 days ago

Hi there …. like the emotion of the dancer and the expression of the audience.  

6 days ago

there is magic in the second photo

6 days ago

Thank you, Klemen 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 14, 2018
  • Liked by
Cancel
8 on July 15, 2018

Hi everybody! I’m new here and I hope to see many nice photos and learn a lot about shooting 😀

DUTCH ANGLE:

For the Dutch angle, since I find my photos of trees not so interesting, I’d like to post a shoot I took in Hamburg, with this stairway to the river. Actually it is not a so candid photo, because I found this nice background and then I asked a friend of mine to go down the stairway, because it would have taken time to use the “fishing” tecnique.

TEXTURE:

I was at a lake in the park and the little stones play well with the little waves in the water. Even if what attracted me was the silhouette of the guy directly in frotn of the sun.

PEOPLE:

While I was leaving I saw these two girls by the shore.

Ugo 

on July 15, 2018

Dutch Angle Tree

on July 15, 2018

Texture and Touch  /

on July 15, 2018

Hi Ugo,

My favourite photo that you took is the dutch angle. I think applying that technique on a stairway has some interesting effect and I like it. For my taste the water reflection is a bit too hard and distracting, so I would have tried to avoid that.

on July 15, 2018

Hello!

Nice job with the dutch angle and the sillhouette in front of the sun. It’s look like a ghost…

on July 15, 2018

I really enjoy your first photo. The angle leads right down to the water with your subject. The glare from the water doesn’t offset your color/exposure much; really nice! It would have been cool if she would have turned her head a bit more to get hair out of her face so you could see where she was looking. But overall very well done!

on July 15, 2018

@Zarma  I am inspired by your use of light in all three images, especially the first with the twinkle at the end. And your application of the Dutch Angle in the first is just wonderful!  

7 days ago

Hi Zarma, I like the composition of the first photo, it is very good. I just find a bit annoying the light reflection in the water. I think the dutch angle in this photo fits very well.

2 days ago

Hi guys!! Thank you all for your replies, I ve really appreciated them 😀 sorry if I didin’t answer before, but I’ve been very busy in these last days. 

Ugo

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 15, 2018

People in the Park / Night walk /with Permission

• Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 15, 2018

People in the Rark / Diagonals

on July 15, 2018

Reflective questions:

1.Approaching strangers in the park was no problem for me. Opening a small talk and asking for permission was the easier part.More challenging for me was directing the person and work with the available light.I found the story about this guy,he loved ball room dancing,I asked him to show me a few steps and pretend he had a partner…I tried several shots with flash and some by a pole light ,but couldn’t keep his interest for a longer time,he was too talkative and less interested in photos.I ended up with an image ,done with the available light,but not in a dancing pose.I have to practice more flash photography.

2.The New Composition technique for me this week was Dutch Angle.It’s been always very challenging for me,often done by mistake and then not keeping the images.Planning on capturing such a simple thing as a tree in the park was a great exercise to make me see the beauty of this trick and to estimate my tolerance to such an “imperfection”.I tried DA on my Texture image also and later on some personal shots which other ways would’ve been ditched 🙂 Great technique learned!

3.Touching and then photographing was a good reminder.It saved me from capturing a fake frog in the pond 🙂 Instead I did a plant against a brick wall,it felt so delicate and fragile so I decided to do it in BW.

on July 15, 2018

Hi Streetfun,

My personal favourite of yours is the last one. I think the diagonal trees make a nice framing for the subject and I like the lighting the photo has. To make some critique, for me the frame looks a bit too busy, I think it’s because of the other side of the pond is too close to the subject head.

on July 15, 2018

I like the way the tree branches fill your screen in the first and the mood set in your fourth image, but my favorite is your photograph of the stranger. Love the angle, the bright red shirt, and the way you have captured his spirit. 

6 days ago

Streetfun …. I like your last photo of the man fishing and the trees framing him. Also like that it is BW. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on July 15, 2018

Center Court 

on July 15, 2018

Hello majmanszak,

I like your fun shot at the court!Nice pov and I like how the diagonal shadows frame the player in striped skirt.Good try to include lines in your image!

6 days ago

Hi Streetfun. Thanks for takning time to comment. The picture is actually shot in the same park in Copenhagen as my photo with the Roma men barbecuing below. I like the stack contrast between between the abundance/fun feeling in the court shot and the hardship life the Romas typically live in Denmark outside in parks. 

6 days ago

I also really like this photo- just that little bit of underwear exposed really excentuates the way she is bending over, struggling to maintain her modesty. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 15, 2018
on July 15, 2018

Portrait without permission

on July 15, 2018

My favorite image of yours is the last portrait without permission.Well composed and captured.I see the diagonals and the slightly tilted view doesn’t bother me at all!The light in her hair is awesome. Happy shooting!

on July 15, 2018

I really like the photo with the men, sun, and dust. I like how the cement gives the photo a cool diagonal leading line and I really like how the dust obscures the man’s face. 

on July 15, 2018

The first photo is so well framed and the smoke/dirt around the subjects is so difficult to capture in this lighting; so really great job!

on July 15, 2018

The men in the sun (is that dust or smoke) is an awesome shot. An eye-catching slice of life. Well done.

7 days ago

I find the portrait without permission great. I like the lights in her hair and this feeling that she is prepared for the next challenge. Good shoot!

6 days ago

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to comment 🙂 Much appreciated. Next time I will try to work more strategically with the assignment not only the overall theme. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
7 on July 15, 2018

Hi everyone,

Here is the picture I chose for this week’s assignment. This place had a mixture of textures, with rough tree trunks and soft leaves. I also liked the different lines each tree trunk adds to the image. There was some nice backlight in the scene, so I tried creating a moody image with it. Hope that you like it.

Cheers,
Edmundo

on July 15, 2018

Hello Edmundo!

Lovely image! Beautiful light,strong lines and wonderful processing!I see what you’re feeling there! Probably next time you may decide to capture more diagonal lines and in more aggressive way,as the assignment suggested. Love your work!

on July 15, 2018

I like this a lot. The trees in the front are awesome and I like the shadows and light.

on July 15, 2018

Hi Edmundo.  I like this photograph.  Good contrast and lightning, a calming scene, and interesting crop that hides the tree tops.  I agree with Streefun’s comment about using the Dutch Angle with more aggressive diagonal lines.

on July 15, 2018

Hi!

I agree with Streetfun, it’s a beautiful photo but it would be more dynamic with a more agressive angle.

on July 15, 2018

This is fantastic; for me it’s about the exposure. If anything I would have tilted the camera down slightly to get more of the leaf texture between the bottom of the middle tree and the edge of the frame.

on July 15, 2018

I agree with @astromarinaio Great shot! 

6 days ago

I think it´s a great shot as well, Edmundo…photographs of tree trunks in a dense forest like that always impresses me… they carry some kind of mystery…

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 15, 2018

Moscow, Russia

Haptic:

A person on a bench: 

• How did it feel approaching strangers in a park?
  • It was fine since it was a warm day and the World Cup was going on. People were eager to talk. 
  • What new composition techniques did you practice in the park? 
  • I practiced the Dutch angle the most and got a cool picture of a French fan going to the stadium but the trees were big and leafy so I was not very successful in that regard.
  • How did touching an object and then photographing it change your sensory approach to making a photo? It was interesting. Touching the leaves and grass almost gave me another way of seeing the subjects in the photo. I will try this more often since it gave me a new way to think and see. 

on July 15, 2018

Hi Astromarinaio.  I like the texture in the photo of the grass and fallen leaves.

on July 15, 2018

The last photo with the man on the bench is so good! I particularly like the lighting on his face. Maybe a different angle or trying from above would have accentuated some of the composition a bit. But overall a really nice photo. 

on July 15, 2018

Hello Astromarnaio,

I like the tonal contrast and lines in your first photo.For a better way to capture texture you may try using side light.Also keep in mind the rule of odds,3 or 5 leaves in the composition would work better than 4.Hope my comments help.

on July 15, 2018

I also like the 3rd photo. A challenge may have been to see how close you could have gotten to him. The contrast between the horizontal bench boards and vertical lines of the t-shirt mixed together with the softness of his arms and face is strong.
I agree with you that touching the subject helped me see it better.
Cheers

on July 15, 2018

Great photos but the one with the grass and leaves was my favorite. So vivid I felt I could lie right down in it and smell it.  

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 15, 2018

Hi everyone,

My first photo I really liked for the texture. Between the light and shadows, you can tell how prickly the cactus is. But I also wanted to create somewhat of a starburst too. Attempted an angle but it doesn’t really come out here.

Second photo I really liked the colors and angles of the person plus the bike. The colors of his shirt really offset the green grass. Plus, viva la france! 😉

Third photo I was trying to get a good picture with the color versus the black foreground of the pillar.

Thank you,-Matthew

on July 15, 2018

Viva la France indeed – it was a great game. I like this photo but if you could have captured all of the tire on the right I think it would be a more dynamic image.

on July 15, 2018

Hello Mgraham,

I see some potential in your third photo.Street (or park) food makes interesting topic.Looking through an opening was a good idea of framing,but more interesting it would be to see the face of the food vendor and what he sells.Keep shooting!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
5 on July 15, 2018

Hello all.

Thanks for the great comments that people are posting. It is helpful for me to read through them all and it is also great to see other parts of the world through this.

This week I enjoyed paying more attention to trees. The two here are from the same type of tree that looks like it would be dry and brittle to the touch but actually felt like leather. Converting the one image to black and white seemed like the best way to bring out the subtle differences in the tones of the bark.

I took some people pictures (not asking) which I feel good about but they are not there yet results wise.

Thanks, David

on July 15, 2018

Hello David,

I love your second image,it’s a great response to the assignment!The strong diagonal lines are there,interesting point of view looking up,wonderful texture and as a bonus some mystical  look of that tree trunk.If it was me,I would play with BW processing to emphasize even more on the texture and lines.

6 days ago

I like the 2nd and the 3rd because of the nice structure of the tree barg…

6 days ago

Hi !

The second one is wonderful, it’s seems as I can feel the texture…and with the angle, I feel like climbing this tree!

6 days ago

I am with @amozeto. The composition of the second and the feel of the third are great

6 days ago

Hi David,

especially like the tonality of the second photo.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 15, 2018

Hey Street Club, 

Street Photography is tough …. that’s all the reflection I have this week haha. 

6 days ago

Hi Amy, 

Although I like the intent in the first photo, the problem is that there are just so many photos documenting sporting events. We see a constant stream of the most dramatic of those photos on tv, in magazines, newspapers, Facebook, Instagram, etc. So I personally think it’s just so hard hard to capture something new on the field.

Off the field, though! Wow! Your second picture is wonderful. It’s such a tender moment. I like the angled composition. The strongest colours in the shot are the ball and the boy’s shirt, which emphasize the sporting nature of the piece and provides great balance. Nice job!  

6 days ago

Hey! I totally agree re: first photo, I just loved the graphic nature of it all at this time of day, the shadows the bright fake grass, thanks for the feedback!

6 days ago

I like the way your second photo brings us close to an intimate moment between father and son. Lovely

6 days ago

Hi Amy,

like the tilting of the second photo, only the cut-off head is a little bit distracting for me. (may be it would have needed to be cut-off even more).

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 7 days ago

TEXTURE

6 days ago

Love that monster tree. Gorgeous reflections. The people are a good addition to the composition

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel