[Eric Kim Course] UDEMY Lecture 3 Activity: Make a Dynamic Diagonal Composition

Updated on May 12, 2018 in Eric Kim Course
11 on April 19, 2018

This activity is part of the ERIC KIM COURSE: Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography, available on Udemy. To sign up for the video course and participate in the activities, enroll here.

In this fun activity, we will practice shooting a diagonal composition, and shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes.

Take at least 2 photos of the same scene:

1. A photo straight and head-on.
  2. Other photos shot with a diagonal composition (tilt your camera or find a diagonal element to frame your shot).

Example 1 : Straight Photo

Example 2: Diagonal Composition with a Diagonal Element in the Frame

A Diagonal Element provides more visual interest to the viewer and more dynamism to your compositions.

In terms of your subject-matter, you can go out and photograph a tree, a light post, architecture, or even shoot a portrait of your friend or partner. Or you can take photos inside your own home.

When you’re making a diagonal composition, tilt your camera to the left or right, and connect the diagonals from one edge of your frame to the other.

The goal of this activity is for you to learn how to make more Dynamic Images, through the dynamic composition of a diagonal line. A diagonal composition can turn an ordinary thing into an extraordinary image.

After you are done making the diagonal photo:

When reviewing your photo, compare the two compositions, straight on and diagonal. Then ask yourself, “Which photo looks best to me, and why?”

• Upload your favorite diagonal composition photograph to Eric Kim Forum (this thread) and provide feedback to other photos in the thread.
  • Optional: Share your favorite diagonal composition on social media (Facebook/Instagram) with the hashtag #erickimcourse

Have fun!

Eric

• Liked by

Here are some I did on my phone of a set of three bowls. I like the composition of the third one but the focus is out 

on May 5, 2018
on May 5, 2018
on May 5, 2018

Also, the light is pretty bad… it’s 10pm!

on May 6, 2018

I like the color contrast between the subject and the background.

In my opinion, the composition is too full,  and it would be more interestring with better light.

on May 6, 2018

Lovely compositions; and the yellow and the purple go very well! they remind me of colors of Lakers.

My favorite is the last photo, with the diagonal spouts pointing to the right. Very lovely working the scene!

ERIC

on May 8, 2018

@chdd – thank you for the feedback. I will try some different perspectives in better light 🙂

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
3 on May 6, 2018

Hi, I use my iPhone to shoot 2 pictures for my camera. One is from upside,another is from a different angle to make the diagonal composition.

I think I can do better, and I’ll try it again on the street.

on May 6, 2018

Hey CHDD try to make another photo that combines your first photo and second photo. The diagonal composition is dynamic; but just try to get closer and fill the frame! 

See my suggested framing below (don’t crop the photograph; but get very close and frame it like something this):

Excited to see your street shots!

Eric

on May 12, 2018

Hi Eric, thanks for your advice, sorry for the late update, really busy week. And I try several more as you suggested

Oh,btw,I like your “Golden Point Composition” video so much.That’s really cool.

on May 12, 2018

And also, I make some diagonal composition on the street, If you have a moment, could you please give me some advice?

For the last picture, I was trying to imitate one of your pictures. I stood there, saw the lady walking towards me, I just waited and pre-compose the picture, and clicked.But I think the background is kind of messy, and I was a little bit nervous there. 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel