Critique: please

Updated on January 8, 2018 in Critique
9 on December 31, 2017

Would be very curious to have the following images critiqued.

• Liked by
  • M44200
1 on January 2, 2018

Perhaps tell us a little about what you are going for, whats the aim? They’re all different ‘genres’. Which picture interests you the most in terms of style, composition, technique? How were they made and why? What did you feel when you made them?

on January 3, 2018

The first photo was taken at a county fair in Traverse City Michigan. It is a colorful, absurd street photo. I like the persons shadow in the foreground and that that you can’t see the head of the person on the right. I tried a B&W conversion but found that the original version in color looked a lot better.

Number two is a B&W landscape shot 1:1 in camera with the internal red filter turned on to make the clouds pop as they were perfect that day. I love the vanishing point tracks and the Quonset hut like buildings along with the propane tank give it a strange futuristic feel. It was taken in Leelanau County, Michigan.

Number three was a fire at a factory in Troy Michigan. I heard it reported on a local radio news station and went there to shoot it. I love the building shadow in the smoke and the leading lines that the hoses form. It was shot B&W in camera. I also shot some photos in color at this event but found that this one was the best of all as I felt that the color did not show the smoke very well. BTW if you ever shoot a building fire be sure and stay upwind as there can be serious toxic fumes in the smoke.

Number four was shot in eastern Massachusetts at sunset. We had pulled off at a rest stop on I-90 to get something to eat. A storm had just passed through and the setting Sun was bouncing off low clouds as it illuminated everything with a beautiful glow. I love how the psychedelic colors pop. Note that there are four vanishing points in the photo. Also the lone figure made me think of a Edward Hopper painting.

Number five was shot as an imaginary record cover called “The Road Home” and the cloudless negative space is where the record name would go. The cooling towers are used by a nuclear power plant in Monroe Michigan. It was shot 1:1 in camera.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 3, 2018

Thank you for such an excellent follow up. Absurd, thats maybe a good way to describe it. Not in a derogatory sense, but i struggled yesterday to think of a term, not kitsch so much. I think theres some real value in this kind of level of our ‘ civilisation’ – something like Martin Parrs work -some of it. Not easy to do in terms of an edited cohesive series of pictures.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 3, 2018

I think 3 is skillfully framed, very good pictoral sense while not compromising the documentary requirement to inform the viewer.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 3, 2018

Number 4: the painting called Nighthawks(?) thats a subtle painting imo cause if you study it you se its mainly large ‘flat’ areas of colour, like its really a 1950s AbEx artwork, masquerading as a quiet diner and emptu street. This photo to is amplifying everything into a super artificial state..like a 1970s record sleeve artwork. Artificial flourescent light, fastfood, junk food. corporate colour schemes, even though shrubs lol.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 3, 2018

5: yes, it works as a sleeve image
I get it. I think it’s a successful image for that. This sort of post modern, contemporary way of shooting ‘in profile’ , without any oblique perspective – i do this quite a lot. Mundane subjects, environmental. Im into it. Although imo it’s become a bit too cliche for street photography of people (the big advert backdrop, ironic billboards and supermodels etc). Your image 5: it’s been quite de rigeur in art galleries this kind of work, big ‘C-type’ prints of post industrial and surburban environments. Really benefits from a tripod for huge prints.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on January 7, 2018

Thanks for the critiques M44200! Do you have any opinion on the second photo that is a B&W landscape?

on January 8, 2018

I was unsure how to comment on it. The sky looks filtered – dramatic. Is the image enhanced with some way of extended dynamic range? It’s very detailed, sort of unreal or hyperreal. The deep DOF. IMO early morning light and perhaps a different POV of the buildings without the track. Maybe just a different time of day.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on January 8, 2018

..or maybe in colour? IMO its less strong than the cooling tower image, it sort of falls between various styles whereas the other pictures are more solidly in a certain style. Did you visualise it as a b&w when you clicked the shutter? Eg withthe last picture i feel you knew exactly what you were trying make, and it worked better.

• Liked by
Cancel